“An Unexpected Unique Mexican”

Carisma Restaurante
Ranked #5 of 33 Restaurants in Skippack
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2017

This is a charming little Mexican restaurant along "restaurant row" in Skippack, PA, about an hour from Center City Philadelphia, depending upon traffic. I have never seen a eatery with so many "chachkas," (yiddish for knickknack dust collectors). I take it that Jose Jimenez, who took our order, served and probably cooked the food, is a lovable guy. We didn't expect much when we sat down as the only customers at about 6:30. Were the reviews wrong? Did we make a mistake? The menu was pretty typical Mexican with some exceptions. Jose ran off several specials, mostly fish, that sounded great, but my Tuesday night dining buddy (while our wives played canasta - LOL Spanish for basket) were hesitant. As we were truly enjoying our dinners, the place started to fill up. Yes, the words out! Yes, we will try the fish specials next time. No desserts for us. BYOB! Hasta luego!

Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

This is a wonderful experience. All dishes from all over the Spanish speaking world are delicious. Service is excellent and personal. It is not fast food. What it is is wonderful.

Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

Great fresh food! Hard to impress me w guacamole but they did! Very authentic Mexican food. Great seafood specials.

Reviewed June 16, 2017

Whenever my wife and I want to go someplace quirky, fun, interesting and where the food is always delicious, we go to Carisma in Skippack Village - the owners are congenial, always joking and friendly, and greet us warmly when we arrive. This is NOT a standard taco place or anything like it. Carisma is a gourmet Mexican restaurant. The owner (who with his son are also the waiters) describes the fresh fish he has today, and the special steak dishes. Not surprised to find swordfish, octupus and other surprise seafood items on the specials list. I personally like any steak dish, whether shopped with veggies or "stuffed" with shrimp and cheese. Often we get coffee or tea and enjoy conversation while looking at all the Mexican dolls and toys that decorate the interior. The restaurant looks tiny when you first walk in but they have outside tables and tables upstairs. By the way, we've read some negative reviews from a few people and these always make us angry because we and all of our friends come here as our special getaway on date nights, for Sunday brunch and whenever we're bored and just want to come here and relax. We give Carisma and the family owners/operators our highest rating and compliments. They work REALLY hard, their food is creative and delicious, and we love Carisma.

1  Thank FutureTravelers
Reviewed June 4, 2017

A misguided soul once said that if you can't say something nice, you shouldn't say it at all.
Well, I'll begin with the positive. The outdoor seating area was quite pleasant both visually and musically. It did a really nice job reflecting the Mexican theme.
That said, our waiter (the owner??) can be described at best as coming across as a real character but perhaps, more accurately, as having a bit of an attitude.He sure had an awful lot to say but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) we could hardly understand him.
When I requested recommendations for a meal not overly hot, he informed me that I was in the wrong restaurant. When my ridiculously bland meal finally arrived and I requested some sort of flavorful sauce that was not overly spicy, he first indicated that I should finish up my friend's partially eaten dipping sauce and again informed me that I was in the wrong restaurant. Later, once I had eaten as much as I wanted to, he brought out a bucket containing various hot and spicy sauces.
My dining partner, who enjoys hot food, pronounced his soup and salad as lackluster.
My dry quesadilla which arrived containing a few flat pieces of spinach, a pathetic serving of mushrooms and a stingy portion of melted cheese was beyond bland and boring. I had asked for beans as a side. I accepted but didn't eat the rice he substituted simply because I really didn't want to deal with or converse with this character any longer.I just wanted to get out of there. You can't eat ambiance.
Next time I'll simply melt my own cheese on a piece of dry cardboard with a few leaves and save some money.

Been to Carisma Restaurante? Share your experiences!