New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Laurel, Maryland, United States
“Step back in time with excellence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a getaway weekend at Skytop Lodge, and could not have been more charmed! The beauty of the historic lodge can not be overstated. The buildings and grounds were impeccably kept. For those who complain about perceived shabbiness or need for updating, you obviously have only experienced sleek, impersonal chain hotels. Every item of furniture, fabric, lighting and decor schemes perfectly fit the aristocratic, adirondack feel of the property. The service was top-notch from the valet at the door to the staff member who handled our check out. We stayed in a room in the Inn and the views over the water were lovely and the wicker rockers on the balcony beckoned for an afternoon with a good book! The food was quite good and it was nice to not have to leave the property all weekend to search for dining options (which are very limited anyhow). We absolutely plan to return with our daughter when it's warmer to experience all that the Skytop Lodge had to offer!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allison M
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Allison M,

Thank you for your kind remarks in relation to your recent stay with us. I am sincerely delighted that you had a wonderful experience at Skytop. I am extremely proud of our guest service staff and all of our employees that provide such excellent service to our guests. We are continually working to improve our family resort and hopefully on your next visit you will have an even better experience.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon!

President & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and visited Skytop in March. The building is beautiful, historical, and massive. The view of the lake was breathtaking. The rooms are in need of updating but were acceptable. When we arrived at the hotel the valet and the bellman were cheerful and made you feel special.
Now for the negative: The tiles in our shower was dirty. The hotel was very empty and quiet, and considering it is such a large place,it felt sort of depressing. The staff at the front desk and in the Tap room were not very friendly. We went to the Tap room bar on our first night and sat there listening to the staff complain about having to provide room service after 8pm. The bar is in the basement and it is dark and damp. Maybe Skytop is more alive and appealing during the peak time of the year, but it was a disappointment in March.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rhonda S
Dear Rhonda S,

Thank you for providing your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop Lodge. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, however, I will say that the weather this year has been very odd particularly during the month of March. At a time of year when we normally have a great deal of activity at our ski area, cross country skiing and ice skating, this year was so warm that many of our winter activities were unavailable. I have asked our housekeeper to ensure that the tile in all of our bathrooms is clean and dirt free. I have also reviewed your comments about our Tap Room staff and will be sure that they realize how important their presentation is to our guests.

I certainly hope that you would consider returning to Skytop during a busier time of year. If you would please call me or my assistant Randi Alejandro I will ensure that your stay will be truly enjoyable.

Morrisville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Got a reduced price on a stay here. It's a grand old hotel but I was disappointed with the size of the room, no coffee maker in the room, the fact that you had to wear a suit jacket for dinner even though there were only 2 other couples there...seems like they're trying to keep past traditions alive but it was just too much elegance for me. Everyone seemed too formal! Still, I'm glad I finally got to stay there! The grounds are beautiful and there are plenty of activities.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank olney1944
Dear olney1944,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay. I am delighted that overall you had an enjoyable stay at Skytop, however, I am distressed at several of your experiences. In relation to coffee makers in guest rooms, we do provide coffee makers in our cottages as well as an early morning coffee service for our guests in the Pine Room. We have also found that asking gentlemen to wear jackets at dinner does offer a certain level of civility in our dining room. Although this may not be the type of service that everyone enjoys, we feel as though this keeps many of our traditions intact.

Thank you for your observations on our gardens. They are truly beautiful. And we do have a large number of activities. I am sorry that Skytop is not necessarily the resort atmosphere that you enjoy, but I do hope you’ll pay us another visit.

Medford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

ok.... We are a family of four... kids age 10 & 7. They have never tried skiing, and honestly I am just aweful at it so I was looking for a long weekend adventure before Winter ended. I didn't want to go to Blue Mountain..JF/BB and then get a room at Motel 8 (yuck) or something..and then try to find a nice place to eat dinner..drive..drive...drive :-( That's not my idea of fun. I wanted to go somewhere that had it all in one place.... and I found it at Skytop Lodge. It reminds me of the movie 'The Shining' .... It's very very cool. Yes the rooms/carpet/decor could use some sort of updating.. but it is VERY clean, well appointed, well taken care of and well staffed. Almost over staffed... but hey who is going to complain about great service? All of your meals are included in your price for the weekend, we went skiing which included everything you needed, the kids ice skated in the indoor rink, enjoyed the indoor pool, made S'mores in the fire pit outside, we all went on a 2 hour nature hike, AND went dog sledding!!!!! Oh and before I forget, on Sat. night my husband and I put both kids in the 'Kids Adventure Camp' which was from 5:00 to 8:30 of nothing but non-stop fun fun fun for them.... while big daddy and I went to the pub downsairs and discussed politics over a glass of brandy.... (ok maybe not the politics part but either way). Yes I will be going back to Skytop during the Summer months. Skytop is a 4-Season resort. I can't wait to play their golf course!!!! AND I think we will try one of the 'Cottages' next time instead of the main lodge. The SteamSide Cottage looked serene... and very private. Bloody Mary's were OK.... and their wine list is fabulous!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TBRacingLover
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear used2bahottie,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. I am so pleased that your family had a wonderful stay at Skytop. We are fortunate to have such dedicated employees. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to them. Skytop is the perfect family destination – as you noted, we offer a wide variety of activities for the entire family as well as great meals and attentive service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer months. The kids will have fun in our “Camp in the Clouds” while you enjoy our golf course and gardens! Hope to see you soon!

Long Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Been visiting Skytop since the 70's as a young girl and now bring my own family who love it just as much as I did. Easy lodge living with everything at your fingertips. Great for kids of all ages...something for everyone. Love that elegant dining is still in effect! Just returned after spending President's week vacation week enjoying the winter sports & great food.

Room Tip: Splurge on a king suite! It won't disappoint
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alicia J
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Alicia J,

Thank you for your kind comments. Skytop is truly a great retreat for kids of all ages. I am so proud of our property. I think the fact that there is so much for people to do in the way of outside activity gives everyone a chance to enjoy themselves: whether it is sitting on the south porch in one of our rocking chairs, spending a vigorous day at our Adventure Center, playing a round of golf, or taking a hike to our waterfalls, there really is something for everyone to do. Couple that with great food and good friends and family – Skytop is really the perfect getaway.

Thank you again for your comments. Hope to see you soon!

Closter, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Went to Skytop Lodge for the weekend and had a blast. We have two young adult children and one pre-teen, so it is always difficult finding a place they will all like. This was the perfect spot. We skied/snowboarded, skated, swam, kids played in the game room (ping pong, miniature golf, etc.), had tea by the fireplace, and tasted some wines. I'm a foodie, and the food was excellent. But the absolute best was the Tree Top Adventure. Everyone at the activities center is super-friendly and accommodating, and I can't say enough about our guide Chris. Our youngest just made the height requirement, and Chris stayed with him and made sure he was safe. He was knowledgeable, extremely clear in his instruction, and made sure we had an unforgettable experience. My husband and I are "of a certain age" and not crazy about heights, but we got through it surprising well and were so happy we went along. The ziplines are so much fun! Clearly, Chris loves what he does and his excitement about the adventure comes through - this was an amazing family experience and we will not forget this exciting adventure. Don't miss it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy A
Dear Kathy A,

Thank you for providing us with your comments. We have had such a positive response to our new zip line. We think that the zip line is so much fun because it goes through part of the many acres of Skytop forest. It is a fun yet challenging way to spend a great afternoon. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind comments to Chris as well as many of our other staff members that provide caring service for our guests.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This was our second visit to Skytop Lodge -- this time during President's week, 2012. The previous time just before Christmas in 2010. All employees we encountered were extremely friendly, despite the large crowd during President's week. The general manager stopped by twice during dinner to ask us how things were going -- a touch we appreciated. We had all meals in the main lodge except one dinner at the Inn. The food was always very good. We had the buffets at breakfast and lunch (although if you want something else, they are happy to get that as well from the kitchen). Dinners were four course meals, with plenty of entree choices. There was also an excellent wine list. All meals are included in the room charge.

Although we did not have young children with us, it was appparent that they offered numerous activities for children -- many aimed at giving their parents some alone time.

The lodge advertises about 30 miles of hiking trails, and we hiked about 2/3 of them -- visiting two large waterfalls, and another trail with spectacular views out over the lodge grounds and poconos. We also saw a porcupine during our hikes along with the everpresent deer. In addition to hiking, you can fly fish in a stocked trout stream, downhill ski on a small hill, sled, ice skate, swim in an indoor pool (and at a beach in warmer weather), and play pool, pingpong, etc. in a downstairs recreation room. There is also an 18 hole golf course in season. The main lobby area also has plenty of comfortable charis and couches for those who just want to read a book or enjoy the fireplace.

There are a number of different rates and packages to choose from. We paid about $425 per night for a room with a king bed. Note that rate included a 15% gratuity charge plus all taxes. The room was comfortable and well maintained.

This is a true gem in the Poconos -- suitable for both families and couples, with lots to keep people busy. We viewed this property as similar in many ways to Mohonk Mountain House in New York, but less expensive. We would have stayed another day as the weather turned very nice, but had to return home for doctor's appointments (darn!)

We plan to return again in warmer weather this summer.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor with a good view of the garden area at the back of the lodge. the previo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wtrav77
Dear Wtrav77,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. I sincerely appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. As you point out, we do have a large number of activities available for our guests. Although we were quite busy over Presidents week with many winter activities, the warm weather allowed us to include a number of our summer activities as well, including our zip line and even golf.

I hope you have a great year and that we will see you soon!

President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
17.5 km away
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 8 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,185 reviews

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!