“Great Getaway From Daily Grind”

The Inn at Starlight Lake
Ranked #2 of 2 Starlight B&B and Inns
Abington, Massachusetts
“Great Getaway From Daily Grind”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying for two nights during the off-season, which gave us time to talk to the owner (Sari,) as well as spend a little extra time with the staff. They were all cheerful and kind. The breakfasts were outstanding, we enjoyed the dinner we had there, and the decadent desserts were fantastic. There’s a fully-appointed bar, of which we took advantage, and there is a game room, as well as a work-out room. There are no TV’s in the guest rooms, so my husband and I (GASP) actually read books. When we wanted to watch a movie, we went down to the main building. Plus there are row boats, a sail boat, a paddle boat, and canoes available to use on the lake.

I don’t understand the negative ratings/reviews. Perhaps those folks didn’t choose their vacation destination to fit their needs. For example, if you’re the kind of person whose computer and cell phone are connected to you by an umbilical cord, then Starlight Lake would not be a good choice for you to visit. On the other hand, if you’re like me and find it liberating to not be tied to the steady signal of someone texting me, then you’ll welcome being able to make yourself at home at this lovely location nestled in the mountains in northeast Pennsylvania. A family-owned Inn steeped in a long history and rich in hospitality, it is mercifully free of any cell signals or wi-fi.

Our room, while not opulent, was clean and comfortable with plenty of space…and the Inn is pet-friendly, so we brought our four-month old kitten with us. He was satisfied with his stay, too. He seemed most taken with the views from the room. The rear window faced directly into a heavily-wooded slope up a mountain, while the front window over-looked the tennis courts with a clear, unobstructed view of the lake. Beautiful no matter where you looked.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify if you're bringing a pet. If you are pet free, some rooms have a fireplace, w...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Berta E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
NYC
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Food at the Inn is very good. Try the Ahi Tuna with Wasabi mashed potatoes or the Chipotle Scallops. The Duck is very good too. Their smoked fish is local and is wonderful.

The Inn is older (1800's) and the lobby is very warm and inviting. The rooms however, are very outdated and in need of updating.

Carpets are old and dirty and the bathrooms use linoleum for counters, walls and floors. No air conditioning (but fans are provided). Transom window openings above room doors are set open to the hallway (typical of Inns built in that era), so there is no conversation privacy. No TV or phones - which is not so bad if you want to take a real break from the world.

The outdoor areas are in need of repair and updating. Broken benches, old shuffleboard, rickety play area for children. The area is beautiful and the Inn was probably a real destination years ago. Unfortunately it has not been kept up. They probably make most of their money on the restaurant and have a hard time making ends meet with the overhead of the Inn.

No problem whatsoever with the staff. They were all very nice and went out of their way to provide good service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 0713London
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We went to the inn for a weekend with our dog and had a wonderful time. The location is gorgeous, on an adorable lake, with lots of boats for the visitors to use. When we arrived, we spent sometime fishing, there is a great selection of fish ranging from sunfish, to bass, to perches, to catfish, and many others. Afterwards, we enjoyed dinner which we found to be very reasonably priced. The food was good and included homemade rolls, freshly made corn chowder, a delicious Cesar salad, and also a very good seared ahi tuna. The sirloin steak was only OK. The restaurant staff is very friendly and efficient, especially the bartender.

As for the inn keeper, I found that she was very nice and helpful to my husband and I. We didn't have any problems with the services or anything.

We loved the game room with the ping pong table, and found everything to be cozy and quaint.

Be prepared though that this is not going to be a five star luxury hotel. If you are looking for a quaint weekend away, playing cards, hanging out with other guest (who are so sweet and friendly also) this is this place for you!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NYCGirl5201
Sylvan Beach, New York
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Very charming and a lovely place to stay. Dinner and breakfast was great. Staff was very friendly and made you feel welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerri624
vestal
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Need to say first off I did NOT stay at hotel but was considering dinner & an overnight until I spoke to the owner (woman by the name of Sari); however, I couldn't write a review unless I indicated I had stayed, so I chose May 2011 because that's when I spoke to her.
So...this woman was BEYOND RUDE. My mother gave me a $50 gift certificate to this establishment for a Christmas gift (Dec 2010)....we found out she was terminally ill in Jan, 2011...she passed away on Mar 30, 2011...I hadn't the time nor the inclination to use the certificate while my mother was ill. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out the gift certificate just last week, intending to use it--the last gift I'll ever get from my Mother--only to find it expired in March, 2011 (3 month gift cert--who does that?!) I called the restaurant and hoped that if I explained the situation I might still be abe to use it. NOT A CHANCE! I could not believe the response I got from her...multiple excuses, everyone's fault but hers, saying she had no control over the expiration date, it was some TV promotion that she didn't get paid for (only free advertisement?), she told me it would be like trying to use an expired coupon at the grocery store! We're talking about a $50 gift certificate here, not a 50 cent coupon! Her tone was nasty, she had not an ounce of sympathy for my situation--even told me "I'd rubbed her the wrong way" by using my mother's passing as an 'excuse' for getting 'something for nothing' and practically yelled at me when she told me her husband also passed away in March and SHE wasn't using his death as an excuse!!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing! The conversation got very heated and I told I'd read all these negative reviews and now I understood why people posted what they had AND that I was going to do the same. She didn't care about the negative publicity, but in all fairness she did offer to honor the gift certificate for only $25 instead of the $50...by then I'd made up my mind that she wasn't going to get ANYTHING out of me but a BAD REVIEW!!

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
13 Thank chrisbai

Travellers are raving about these Starlight hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We stayed at the inn on the night of Valentine's Day. We drove up in about 3 hours from NYC, bad weather all the way up, VERY cold. We were stuck in the Holland tunnel for 45 minutes so we knew we would not be able to make dinner on time. They took our order over the phone and served us later then everyone else, the food was FANTASTIC! They even stored our leftovers in their fridge so we could take them home fresh! We were impressed that the menu featured homemade pasta, pastries, breads, and more.

We stayed in room c3 with the fireplace. Our dog loved it! The bed was VERY comfortable and the room was very nice. You can see that the room has what some people call "flaws" but we loved it. Everything was clean, and there was a fresh paint job so the room looked really nice. We had trouble turning on the gas fireplace so they sent someone over and we got it working. The staff was more than accommodating to us for anything we needed, and checked on us several times during our stay to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.

The real reason we had such a good time was the fact that my wife and I could focus on each other. They have lots of games and books available that have been somewhat "loved", and everything is on the honor system. There was not a TV in our room and next time we'll probably bring our own board games, but they do have a TV room with lots of DVDs and VHS's (lol) if you want to watch something.

This is a place my wife and I will be going to for many years to come to get away from our lives in Manhattan. When you go here you see why for 100 years people have been going here and continue to come back. This is not a franchise, this is a piece of American history.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cornobehnke
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Unfortunately we found the reviews on this inn after making our reservations for the weekend. Fortunately, however, as a result of the reviews we were able to spare ourselves further grief during our checkout.

We were told prior to booking our reservation that they had groomed cross-country ski trails within walking distance of the inn. This was of utmost importance to us as this was to be my husband's first time cross-county skiing. However, they completely mislead us... the first day skiing we walked approximately 30 minutes in knee-deep snow to a supposedly groomed ski trail that was actually only a path on which a snow-mobile had made a pass or two. It was terrible. The next day we drove to the Starlight Lodge and accessed a snowmobile trail there that was very wide and MUCH better than what we experienced at the inn. The rentals for my husband were very poor and the staff was not knowledgable at all. VERY disappointing and we don't recommend them for skiing!

We stayed in the jacuzzi suite which we were told was the most recently updated. It had stains on the bed spread and blanket and was probably updated a good 15 years ago. The shower leaked and the one redeeming quality of the suite was its jacuzzi. If you stay in the suite be aware that if the room above it is occupied you will hear them walking both up the stairs to their room and in the room. We were wide awake at 12:30 a.m. and 3:30 am. because of this!! The housekeepng was a joke- roughly made the bed and gave us new towels. No attempt at cleaning. One thing we found distressing was that with all the cleaning supplies under the sink there was not one disinfectant!! Lighting in the room is very poor.

The food was good thankfully! Wait staff was friendly but their attention to cleanliness was poor. The same two bunched up paper napkins remained under the same table throughout our stay (from lunch on fri. to breakfast on sunday!).

Checking out we were made aware from reading other reviews to check the bill scrupulously,. So glad we did! They charge 15% not just on the food but on the lodging itself. I asked to have that number greatly reduced and was told that the gratuity is split among the food servers and housekeeping, etc. We were fine with the tipping of the wait staff. Be careful and check your bill or you will be paying not only taxes but a hefty "gratuity" that is not deserved.

We will not return to this inn and don't recommend that those seeking cross-country skiing stay here. It is very over-priced and worse than that they greatly distort their facilities and by no means is anything at the inn groomed!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Skier021
Also consider these accommodations in or near Starlight
30.3 km away
34.0 km away
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center
37.3 km away
Schrute Farms

Been to The Inn at Starlight Lake? Share your experiences!