“Worth the drive out of town!”
Review of The Naked Egg

The Naked Egg
Ranked #32 of 293 Restaurants in State College
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 1, 2018

We were on campus for an event and found this place on Yelp. It looked good so we decided to drive the few extra minutes out of town to try it. The experience was well-worth it!

We got there around 11 a.m. on a Sunday and it was packed! The parking lot seems large enough, but there were cars starting to park along the road. We found a place in the lot.

We walked in and the hostess added our name to the wait list. We only waited less than 5 minutes until we were seated. Our service was a bit slower than other tables around us, but not too slow and the place was packed after all!

The decor is country chic. The chairs are a faux-velvet and some bricks are painted white. We were set at a high top by a window. There are a mix of booths, regular tables an high tops. The bathrooms are spacious and clean.

We ordered the Eggs Benedict (very fresh and good), a California Omelet (very good, a bit spicy) with tater tots (well-seasoned) and Pancakes (SOOOO fluffy!). Once we ordered our food, it arrived quickly!

Halfway through our meal, my husband ordered iced coffee and the waitress asked if he would like a to go cup-- it worked out perfectly.

The outside seating looked nice and there seemed to be plenty of shade.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Kara717

Reviewed June 5, 2018

We went to The Naked Egg and I wasn't super excited because of the way it looked at first glance! The staff seemed really distracted when we went in and overwhelmed by the number of people. We were seated and I witnessed the owner talking to a couple of the staff and encouraging them to "get themselves together, we've got customers!" As a leader, myself, that impressed me. I then ordered tea and it came in MY VERY OWN POT with loose tea leaves! This place is paying attention to detail! I was seated in the perfect spot to see the open kitchen and watch as the chefs prepared breakfast, I noticed they were intentional but not hurried. I ordered the Hot Mess and my husband ordered Eggs and Hash and we shared biscuits and gravy. There was a bit of a wait but, we weren't in a hurry. My husband and I LOVED the food. THAT. GRAVY. Oh my goodness!!!!!! I don't know what they do to it, but, I'll go back again and again just for that. The grits! PERFECT! I'm a southern transplant to Pennsylvania and I would put The Naked Egg breakfast up against any I've had! We'll go back for sure!

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed May 9, 2018 via mobile

Our meals were ok but nothing special. It certainly was not worth the close to an hour wait. (We had been told about 20 minutes.)

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed February 25, 2018

We stopped in at the Naked Egg on a random weekend in February. The last time that we tried to go, during the football season, the line went out the door and into the parking lot. This time, we went before 10:00 AM and only waited for a few minutes.
The breakfast menu had great selections and our group chose corned beef hash, huevos rancheros, and a portobello and spinach egg Benedict. Everything was delicious and made from scratch. Tea was served in a pot-- not a bag dropped in a mug, and there was a decent selections of coffees, lattes, and cappuccinos. We were able to order a side of thick cut bacon and one pancake. The Belgian waffles that were served nearby looked delicious as well. They also will serve real maple syrup, if you ask. The wait staff was hurried, but efficient, and when we left, the line went out the door. We would definitely seek out this non-chain restaurant again when we visit State College.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed December 18, 2017

Nice, casual place for breakfast. Even though they serve mostly the breakfast basics (with a few intersting specials mixed in), all the dishes were very good. Service was excellent/friendly. Portions were generous and prepared well. Nice not to have sticky floors and has ample parking. Worth the ten minute drive out of town, much better than breakfasts included at local chain hotels too.

Date of visit: December 2017