“I didn't expect a lot, but it was nice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 State College

Super 8 State College
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“I didn't expect a lot, but it was nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Went to Penn State for THON weekend, stayed at the Super 8, I wasn't expecting a lot for a Super 8, but ........ this was nice, room was clean, staff was good and on the ball and I slept well. everything was there, soap, shampoo, tp. I have no complaints

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Thetraveler0924
TSilfies, General Manager at Super 8 State College, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Many thanks for your nice compliments. We take great pride in providing a clean and comfortable guest experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

As the family of a Penn State student, we have stayed at the Super 8 in State College probably a half-dozen times now. Our previous visit was plagued by service problems, such as missing soap, shampoo, coffee, spare toilet paper and kleenex -- all things that you would expect in your hotel room. And I also mentioned in a previous review that the staff was not very welcoming or hospitable.

But our stay on Labor Day was very nice. The manager, in a response to my last review, said steps would be taken to assure better service and I would have to say that they indeed were taken. Everything seemed to be in order. As another reviewer mentioned however: what's up with that carpet in the hallway! Someone -- maybe a woman in heels -- is going to catch their foot and fall.

I really love the new coffee maker in the lobby! I love specialty coffees and I went back several times for lattes, etc, Also appreciate the free fruit, more-than-adequate breakfast and the wi-fi worked great.

My wife did see a black spots in the ceiling in the bathroom above the tub. They were either dirt spots or mold. Either way, that is not a good thing and they need to be taken care of. Other than that, the room was fine.

The room rate is pretty good -- under $70 for us -- as long as it is not a Penn State football or special weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Super 8 as your lodging choice when visiting the State College area. I am happy that you enjoyed the great flavors now available at the 24 hour lobby coffee bar. Since your last visit the first floor corridor and breakfast area carpet has been replaced. We are currently in the process of finalizing our renovation plans for every guestroom. These plans include guestroom furniture, window treatments, bedding, carpet, and wall vinyl.

Regarding the bathroom ceiling, the housekeeping supervisor has developed a New routine for all housekeepers that includes a more thorough inspection of the room, including the bathroom ceiling. The staff will be reminded to "look up" when cleaning to remove dirt/mold spots on ceilings.

Again, thank you for your sincere concern.
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel years ago when it was a 'Best Western' so I knew the layout and area. The price is cheap when the date is not close to a football game. The room is a good size and the bathroom was clean with a good shower. The carpets are so dark you can't tell if they are supposed to be that way or are just so dirty they can't be cleaned. The hall carpet is so streached out that there are ripples you can easily trip over, they really to need to fix this. Continental breakfast is included but I'd recommend walking to the Perkins in front of you for a good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank vettewomanpa
TSilfies, General Manager at Super 8 State College, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you choosing us as your lodging choice when visiting the State College area. Since your last visit the first floor corridor and breakfast area carpet has been replaced. We are currently in the process of finalizing our renovation plan for every guestroom. This plan includes guestroom furniture, bedding, and carpet. Super 8 has ruled out a new enhanced breakfast standard. In the next few weeks, the continental breakfast will have a new look. The breakfast will include a Simply Super Cinnamon Roll, a signature item for all Super 8, and waffles. I encourage you to check us out on your next visit.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

This is your basic run of the mill motel. Nothing stood out as far as being too bad or too good. You pretty much get what you pay for. This was our first stop on a 51 day cross-country road trip. Decent quality for the price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phuzzy
Thank you for your comments. We hope to “wow” you on your next visit with the many changes that Super 8 has to offer. We are currently in the process of finalizing our guestroom renovation plan. The plan includes new furniture, carpet, and bedding. In the next few weeks, the continental breakfast will have a new look. The breakfast will include a Simply Super Cinnamon Roll, a signature item for all Super 8, and waffles. Please stop in on your next visit to State College, Pa.
W Chester, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel because I was taking a one week class, and the hotel was selected by some others in my group. When I first walked in the lobby, it reeked of cigarette smoke and I almost left. I decided to check out the room, and it was fine. It did not smell, and the bedding was comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was simple and nutritious. Staff was friendly and helpful. Decor was dated but ok. My suggestion to the hotel is that in this day and age when one is not allowed to smoke in work places, restaurants, etc. why in the world do they allow smoking in the hotel? It smells gross and nauseating, and it is a fire hazard.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your sincere concern regarding the cigarette smoke smell. I apologize that this was the first smell you encountered when entering the hotel. The smoking section of the hotel is located on the second floor only. To help eliminate the smoke odor, Eco-sphere units have been placed in the elevator and at various locations in the 1st and 2nd floor corridors.
Thank you for the nice comments regarding bedding, breakfast, and staff. We do take great pride in meeting all our guest needs.
pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently for a night for ARTS FEST. We are not big fans of choking out big bucks for arts fest accomadations, so we were pleasantly surprised that they had availability kinda last minute.

We had stayed here years ago, nothing that great or that bad, as I remember.

They handled an accomodation request just fine, check in and check out was also fine.

We were very pleasantly reminded of just how big the room was. It was surprisingly spacious for the price.

Beds were fine, bathroom was fine. Could've used a bigger bar of soap perhaps, but overall OK.

This hotel is not the most elegant or splashy, but it offers a good room or a good size for a good price.

Perkins restaurant next door. About 2 miles to Beaver Stadium and the rest of Penn State's campus. Many nearby fast food and restaurant choices.

All in all we'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sciguyinpa
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

I have very little standards for a hotel room, but this experience was one beyond "standards." I traveled with my colleagues to a science conference at Penn State. We needed convenience so we chose the nearby Super 8. Our stay was all but convenient, however. While the location was great (a Perkin's is right across the parking lot), the hotel itself was a disaster. We arrived at the hotel past our check-in time, but it looked as though the rooms weren't even cleaned during the enormous block of time that the staff had to do so. Our first realization was that the carpets were stained and filthy. There was also dust, dirt, and some sort of "cracker debris" scattered over what they call a coffee table. We pulled back the covers of the bed, only to find 8+ black hairs stationed throughout the sheets, and black marks all over the pillowcases. This catastrophe was all set in a dimly lit, sour milk-smelling room, with a bathroom that had bodily fluid stains on the toilet seat (I won't go into detail). By this point, we were less than thrilled about the cleanliness. We rode the wonderful rickety (and wooden?) elevator down to the lobby, and politely requested a brief cleaning of the room. The lobby attendant was the only worker on duty, and handed us a washcloth and "all purpose cleaning spray." It's safe to say that this "8" is anything but super.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business