“Awful”

Pocono Plaza Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Our stay was horrible.
We waited exactly one half hour to check in. While standing at the desk that whole time, no one even acknowledged us. Another customer standing with us said one of the computers was down and he had been waiting. A customer with several rooms and a booking error tied up that one computer for that half hour. Not once did anyone say 'we'll be with you as soon as possible' or 'sorry for the wait', nothing! When we got to our room, we found it hot and when we called the desk were told the air is off for the winter; that you either get heat or air, not both, and it would not be air since it is drained for the season. And we couldn't open the windows because, well, they don't open, or open the door because the family down the hall was so noisy and obnoxious. So we went to the pool, and it was freezing. My kids wouldn't go in. (And these are kids that swim in the Atlantic ocean from April to October....) When I asked if we could get a refund if we left and didn't spend the night, the desk told me we were welcomed to check out, but couldn't discuss a refund until the next day when a manager was in. NO ONE CARED about anything! Thinking we would get a few hours rest before the long drive home, we napped, and ran out early on Saturday. When I stopped at the desk to drop off the key, there were customers waiting, and no one at the desk.
Will never return or recommend, and will not book thru choicehotels.com again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Deb D

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stay an average of one motel per month and this is our worst. I thought most of the reviews might have been too critical but they were actually too kind. Started out walking down hall with a bucket in the middle of the hall to catch water from the second floor. Not the roof, the 2nd floor. Walked in and room musty, holes in carpet, mold on outside walls, windows and ceiling. Carpet FILTHY and does not look like it was vacuumed in a week. An absolute pigpen. Mini reefer had a spill in it that looked like blood. Called to get room changed but holiday weekend and completely filled. Room cost $ 200 and was not worth $20. NEVER stay there unless you don't care for your money or health.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Rcc1952
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The images advertised online depicted a pretty, quaint hotel with a lovely pool. Upon arrival, I was at once struck with a musty smell in the hallway. I'd thought it was only in the hallway, but , the musty smell persisted when my family and I went into the hotel room. I thought we could deal with it, because the hour was late. We decided to explore the hotel a little, and noticed that the floor was dirty. The pool, which was one of our reasons for choosing this hotel, had a unique shape and stone steps, which were aesthetically pleasing. When we approached the pool, we saw that it was difficult to determine the depth of the water when the markings of the pool's depth were disregarded, it was so murky. Upon closer inspection,
the paint at the bottom and sides of the pool were peeling. How disappointing. We returned to our room to rest for the night, but I ran a finger along the furniture and collected a layer of dust. I thought, "There is no way I am letting my children sleep in these beds."

In other words, we were unable to stay the night, and promptly booked another hotel down the road for three times the price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Cassandra T
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I am a local resident here. I only live about 20 minutes away, but during the winter, power can go out easily. Our power had gone out from the snowstorm of October 29,2011. My mother called in for the reservation and they were declining out credit card for no reason. We had to drive there for it to work, then the receptionist lost our reservation! So we went home to our powerless house thinking that we would just have to deal with it. After UNpacking our truck, the receptionist called my mother on her cell phone and said the card went through and she had found the reservation! When we finally got to the hotel, the room was okay, VERY VERY small for an adult and a teenager. The bathroom door didnt close all the way, the shower head was not cooperative, the tub painting was peeled and the drain was rusty. The ceiling is very low, the beds are uncomfortable, and the TV only had 10 channels. The alarm clock didnt work and the lounge chair was broken. The sheets on the bed was extremely itchy. I ONLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL IF YOUR STAYING FOR A DAY OR 2. There is a Perkins restuarant across the street anda gas station. It is next to the highway, but you cant hear any noise. The contintental breakfast didnt have much choices. Only Eggs, Bacon, Muffins and coffee. Thats it. The pool was really nice (it was heated and CLEAN) and it had a good variety of vending machines. The lobby is really nice too.

Room Tip: Choose a room by the pool, the rooms are nicer.
4  Thank Jake M
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Hotel looks great from the outside, and then you walk in. Building is old and in need of complete upgrade, the pool area again looks nice as you walk in, then you see what it looks like up close. I have never been in a hotel with such low ceilings felt like I was going to bump my head walking down the hall. Room wasn’t uncomfortable just old. Now let’s talk about breakfast, it could have been great with just a little effort, but there was no effort at all! I went down at 0630 it was not open. Tried to get a cup of coffee from the machine in the lobby. It made some colored water, asked the night clerk to refill coffee maker. She just sat there and said it wasn’t her job. Guess in the off season the help can come to work whenever it is convent for the staff to arrive. Breakfast room opened at about 0645. There was no way to cut the bagels and no plates and a pile of jackets on a table. Breakfast staff acted like it was no big deal and we should just make due with what was there. The morning staff ruined what should have been an average stay

Room Tip: good question
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Michael L
Reviewed 12 October 2011

For the price, the place was fine. We were there for a soccer tournament and the kids had fun. The place was very accommodating to us since we had a lot of children with us, they opened the dining room for us to use for them and then the parents ate in the bar area. If you do not like the pool near your room, then don't stay there, but we loved it. Would stay there again. Only recommendation is that the rooms need to be updated, the lobby is beautiful.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were first checked into a smoke infested room. After we asked to be moved, we were put into a mold infested room. I used an entire bottle of frebreeze to make the room tolerable to sleep in. It has been two weeks since we stayed there and I am still home sick from work. It came really close to ruining my vacation because I was so sick from the mold problem and we only stayed there three days. We only stayed there because it was a recommended hotel by my in-laws. I don't think they ever walked into the place or they wouldn't have recommended it.

Do not stay here, the place needs to be leveled and rebuilt. Choice Hotels should take their name off this one.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
7  Thank P T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
0.7 km away
17.8 km away
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor

Been to Pocono Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!