“A shame...this place needs a facelift.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Resort & Conference Center

Chateau Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tannersville
Norwood PA
“A shame...this place needs a facelift.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The check-in process was painfully slow, the room wasn't cleaned properly, the beds are very firm (fine for some), the decor is severely outdated, the room floor was lumpy (yes, lumpy), the elevators were a bit scary and there are no room fridges. Overall, I would never choose to stay here. It needs a LOT of TLC and would benefit from being bought out by some outfit like Hilton or something. The location is great.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Suroor-

Thank you for your review and your honest feedback. I too love the location and the potential within the property.

As to your room, I would appreciate knowing the room number so I can address the floor. It should not be 'lumpy', I am glad to hear the bed was firm, that should be like that.

We do have fridges available for the rooms, there is an additional charge, but minimal and we make certain we have plenty of them available for your convenience.

Please do let me know your room number and please do say hello on your next visit, so I can make certain everything is great for your stay.

-John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Shelton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We just got home from our weekend stay at the Chateau. We visit the Poconos quite often, so we figured we would try the resort, plus they accept pets. When we checked in the girl at front desk was very nice.. We got to our room and it was very nice, the view was great, nice balcony. Now here is my issue, The room was not very clean, there was dust everywhere, and everything I touched I felt like I had to was my hands. We had room service the first night (food was just ok) we had left the tray outside our room that morning, we got back around 6pm and tray was still out there. I am not very picky person and dust is not a big deal, but when we have to pay two hundred per night, (that is including my dog to stay there) I am expecting a clean room. The room is very outdated, tv was soo old, picture came in terrible. I don't mind spending the money, and I would stay here again (maybe) but not at the price we paid, not worth it. All in all the hotel was very nice, just needs to be updated and a new cleaning crew. Just one more thing, beds were very comfy and sheets were clean!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisa h
Lisa H-

I am glad you liked the bed and the property in general. We have been very aggressive in making sure these issues (and others) are addressed by housekeeping.

It does sound like we missed a couple of things during your stay however. We will use your comments to get better in that department.

Please do let me know when you will be in the area again, I would love to have you back to the property to see some of the other improvements we are making.

Kingston, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is not quite what you'd expect from a "resort." The photograph on the web makes it look a lot more attractive than it actually is. That being said, The Chateau is really not SO bad. It has a warm feeling and a lovely pool. It is situated very well for skiing and shopping. The breakfast is good, but it is not really worth paying so much extra for. Also, they charge for a gratuity, so even after you think you've paid for breakfast, they hit you up with a charge of 15% for the waitstaff who only bring you coffee.
The beds are stiff. The mattresses were evidently not top of the line.
The staff was nice...They let us check in considerably early and stay late.
The pool, gym and game room area were crowded with kids and teenagers at night.
All in all though, we would go back, especially if they lowered their rates about $30 or $40...Not what you would expect for $130 in a small Pennsylvania town.

Room Tip: Go for mountain view (although this costs more)...Garden view actually means "parking lot view...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
KerryAnnMc-

Hmmm. You should not have been charged an automatic gratuity on your breakfast unless you were part of a large group or attending one of our functions (Easter Brunch, etc...). I will look into that and make certain it isn't happening on our regular breakfasts.

I am glad you enjoyed the view and the rest of the property. We do strive to provide genuine service and a welcoming environment.

Please do allow us to host your next stay and perhaps earn that next star. Say hello on your next visit and I will make certain everything is great.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We traveled with our 2 toddlers and another family. When we checked in everyone was friendly. We requested joining rooms and she said "ok no problem" we get our keys and go up to our room and..... no joining rooms! I called downstairs and said, "I requested joining rooms" and she said, "Oh I'm sorry it was my mistake," WOW, she forgot that fast, in the 2 minutes it took us to check in? Oh well, not a big deal, we stayed in the seperate rooms right next to each other. When we walked into the room it smelled like musty old motel room but it was clean, not my kinda clean, but clean enough and with toddlers that's all we care about. I got a good deal on the stay through eversave.com and unless there is a 80%!! off sale we will not return there due only to the smell. I will put out the extra money and stay at Great Wolf Lodge because of our kids. Btw I agree with the other review, we also had tray's and dishes in hall way all weekend long! and the maids just walked right pass them all weekend.

Room Tip: Get the mountain view room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Angela L-

Thank you for your comments. I am uncertain what the smell issue was, it is not a concern I hear a lot so would appreciate knowing some more information about your stay so i can make certain it is addressed.

As to the trays, it should not have happened, our process must have broken down somewhere. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Great Wolf is a great option. They do a nice job. We look at ourselves as something different. More intimate, focused on area attractions, comfortable getaway, close to everything, not committed to one activity or facility.

Finally, the adjoining rooms should have been made available. I apologize that they were not and will make certain it is fixed for the future. Please do let me know if you plan on returning, I will make certain these issues are not repeated.

Islip Terrace, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here for one night over the weekend to do some skiing. Check in was pleasant. The lady at the front desk was accomodating to my requests and we were able to check in at 2pm which was a relief being that I was traveling with two toddlers. I was anxious as to the condition of the hotel prior to check in due to the negative reviews. To my surprise, the room we got was clean. No complaints from my kids or my husband. The hotel definitely needs some repair/maintenance (loose toilet paper holder, craked sink). I did notice that in the hallway, there were used plates, glasses and napkins when we arrived. There were hotel staff in the floor at that time since the other rooms are still being cleaned. The dirty dishes were still in the hallway when we checked out the next day. The mountain view is amazing. The pool was decent, hot tub was nice. For the price they charge, I would say it is appropriate. We will definitely stay here again and will recommend this to our friends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Maria Veronica R -

I appreciate your rating and your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write the review.

Our goal is to be the comfortable getaway for you and your family. I am glad we were able to live up to that experience. And yes, the view is hard to beat... you should see it in the summer and would love the water park, it is great for families.

The dishes are upsetting to me. I thought that issue was addressed and behind us. I will review your comments with the team and make certain we fix it once and for all.

Please do say hello on your next stay and hopefully we can earn that 5th star !

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel is a bit misleading- they make you think you are staying at the "base of the mountain". While you may be close to the mountain, it is certainly not a ski in/ski out hotel. The staff was also not at all helpful in helping us figure out where to go for all the ski information (the night clerk woman with the long braid was much nicer and more helpful).

The rooms are small, not very clean, and meant for college students or families. We stayed for two nights and the housekeeping service came in, made the beds and left- they didn't refill the coffee, soap, or do anything besides make the bed. I would never stay here again, especially not for the amount you pay. What a waste.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
kimberlynyc1212-

Thank you for your review and your blunt feedback.

If I can clarify, we are not a ski in/ ski out property, but we are certainly at the base of Camelback, nestled between the snow tubing and the base lodge.

I also appreciate your kind words about our guest services agent who works at night. She is great with her guest interaction and quite frankly I expect everyone regardless of position to do it that well. We will use this as a learning opportunity for the other agent you referenced.

I will also use your comments to address housekeeping. This is a key point of focus for our staff and your comments will reiterate the importance of doing it well, every time.

If you change your mind about giving us another opportunity to make a first impression, I would appreciate it. If you do, please contact me directly, I will make certain we do better for you.

Thanks again for the review-

John

Travellers are raving about these Tannersville hotels

brooklyn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is nothing but a resort. Upon check-in, we found that our room faces the parking lot, not the gardens. My husband and I took our two kids for a long weekend of ski and tubbing and figured we might as well pay a little extra to stay on the mountain. Not only is this resort not on the mountain, it's not within walking distance and it doesn't even offer a shuttle to the mountain. So if you have to get into the car and drive 2 minutes to get the mountain, you might as well stay further away ata nicer property.
Our second biggest dissapointement was when our room wasn't cleaned, not one day but two days in a row. On our second day, I complained and a guy came up to offer me clean towels - of course I want clean towels but since I'm at a resort, I would like my beds made too, oh and maybe have someone clean my room - dust and stuff - you know things that are normally done in a resort.
The only nice thing about this resort is that they have a restaurant and a pool on premises. The indoor pool is nice and it's only 4' deep, perfect for kids. The restaurant is nice too as you don't have to get fully dressed to leave the hotel - but a resort it's not.
This is our first time staying at this resort and the last.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Irene K-

I am glad you were able to enjoy the facilities, restaurant and pool.

I am also disappointed that you were not thrilled with the rest of the property. I would think that if you had a mountain view, you would have enjoyed it more. That side of the property faces the mountain, Camelback, Camelbeach, Big Pocono State Park and have balconies to enjoy the view. The view really is hard to beat and worth the small charge to stay on that side. The mountain is a stone's throw, but we do not recommend walking due to the volume of traffic on the road.

I am uncertain why you would not have received maid service, it obviously should have happened. If I can find your room number, I will research it and make certain our housekeeping process is not 'broken' for you or other future guests.

If you ever decide to give us another try, please let me know and I will make certain your stay is a great one.

John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tannersville
5.0 km away
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,067 reviews

Been to Chateau Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!