“overlooked surprise”

Baan Thai
Ranked #79 of 272 Restaurants in West Chester
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed April 23, 2016

The site of Baan Thai in a strip mall that formerly centered around a Walgreens and two other Italian restaurants formerly housed Chinese restaurants that came and went since 2010. Never very impressive so when Baan Thai opened we did not rush to try it out and years went by. Just recently my wife spoke to a number of people who said it was one of their favorites so we decided to try it for a birthday dinner.
Turned out to be a great choice and we realized we had missed a lot by not trying it sooner. On a midweek night we were seated immediately by not superficially friendly hostess, but one who turned out to be really efficient as the meal went on. It may have been more of a language problem that limited her conversation since she did have a long talk with the couple next to us. Through the time we were there they seemed to have a thriving takeout service.
All of the appetizers (soups, wonderfully puffy fried tofu,...) and entrees we tried were excellent, made from nicely fresh ingredients and seasoned perfectly. The seafood was cooked nicely and not overdone. I tried a dish called EVIL which was a mass of nicely sauteed veggies and chicken in a curry that was more on the chili seasoning side of the curry range. Went wonderfully with the rice added. Slightly spicy but not overwhelming. My son's Pad Thai was also one of the better ones we have had. Since we chose the multiple course meal special we had lots of food left over, and it was also just as good the next night at home (which is not always the case with many restaurants).
Have found a go to place within walking distance

1  Thank andrew p

Reviewed December 25, 2015 via mobile

This place is amazing!!! I've been looking for a good Thai place that isn't too expensive (college budget) for a while, and this is it! I first took my boyfriend there for lunch and we were served a three course meal (soup, appetizer, and entree) for $10 each with the lunch special. Now that is definitely a price I can afford, and the food was authentic Thai and absolutely delectable. We both ordered different types of curry, mine green and his red, and both were quite spicy (which we love) and bursting with flavor. At the end of the
meal I wanted to order mango sticky rice, but our server said she couldn't serve it to us because the mango was not ripe enough. Now most places would serve us anything just to make an extra buck, but the the fact that she took our best interest to heart really shows the quality of service offered there. They were extremely friendly and made us feel at home; it is obviously a family-run business.

I loved this place so much I took my seven friends there for lunch the following week. They left with the same outstanding impression I first had. My only suggestion would be to definitely let them know if you are vegetarian, my friend ordered the soup expecting tofu as she ordered tofu in her noodles but received chicken in her soup. They will accommodate any need whether it be added spice or vegetarianism, just let them know. This is my new favorite Thai restaurant in the area and I look forward to visiting again with new or the same people at any opportunity I can!

Reviewed May 8, 2015 via mobile

We moved from downtown Chicago to Southeastern PA. I thought the lack of good food would be an issue. I have been surprised by the quality of local food. Baan Thai is excellent. Heat #3 is good for me. Drunken noodle with shrimp is excellent and don't skip the mango sticky rice.

1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed April 17, 2015 via mobile

I order my pad Thai very oddly. No peanuts and no sprouts. They were able to meet that request. The sauce was a little sweet which I is exactly the way I like it. The noodles were cooked perfectly and it came with chicken. The calamari rings were great and the vega table spring rolls were good after I dunked them in sauce. Thanks! Great place, fast delivery.

Reviewed September 15, 2014

I've been here for lunch and dinner and have always been pleased; today was no exception. Lots of variety in the offerings, very friendly staff. If you like Thai food, this is a real gem. It's also a BYOB, which is a plus.