“Dinner with family”
Review of High Street Caffe

High Street Caffe
Reserve with OpenTable
High Street Caffe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 274 Restaurants in West Chester
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dean Street
Reviewed July 22, 2017

We had such a wonderful dinner with family> Our service was excellent and the food a 5 Star spoke with the owners as well wonderful people and is a must to visit I give it an all 5-star rating all the way!

Reviewed July 19, 2017

to miss New Awleans..." Having spent 5 years or so living and loving it, I was so looking forward to some tasty Cajun morsels. There were some righteous dishes, but none were in the Cajun persuasion, much to my chagrin. I really wanted to love it all and have a mini trip to NOLA without all the humidity and parking issues, but this was not to be.
Firstly, I have eaten more étouffée than I should ever care to admit. And jambalaya. And gumbo. A distant secondly, I have been to several cooking schools, not that I have graduated! ...and I have seen what it takes and learned how they taste. And it isn't found here!
For the good, the seared tuna and the calamari are scrumptious. The short ribs are rightly to be praised. The odd thing is the gumbo had the strangest resemblance of the short ribs, which was a bit of a shock. I realize there is a lot of license with gumbo, but I have never experienced that it could take one to such a gelatinous texture without a trace of okra that I could find. I couldn't do it. And I am usually one to search for the best in a dish as not wasting food is in my dna.
The etouffee. The rule is: First you make a roux. There was no buttery roux that I could detect. In fact, it had no resemblance to any étouffée that I have enjoyed and was more akin to a darker chicken stew. It should be lighter in weight yet richer in taste, in my experience. I regret to report I could do this less j than the gumbo. Maybe the shrimp version would have been better. I was so disappointed, I just wanted to leave my family to their plates. Fortunately, the kind wait staff took it away without attitude, offered something in its place, I demurred, and they took it off the bill.
The jambalaya pasta did conjure the requisite tomato base, with the Slap your Mama spice. The enormous leftovers were taken home for another turn at it.
The cashew chicken dish was quite sweet and channeled more Thai than Cajun, but it was acceptable, if indeterminate.
Portions are huge. The staff is very nice. Points for Abita beer on menu, would suggest to add Abita Amber to the list as well. The purple setting with NOLA motif is dark and bar centric. I am not sure if smoking is ever allowed in there but something was alerting my overly sensitive olfactory, although not overwhelmingly.
Stick with the local staples and there is good to find here.
I see the New Orleans School of Cooking back on my long range radar...

1  Thank jlayk
Reviewed May 11, 2017

This is the fanciest Cajun restaurant I've ever seen. It's probably the only place I've ever seen that decorated in Mardi Gras style that I would actually call tasteful! The food was a bit pricey, but it was delicious. The servers were constantly around to re-fill your water glass.

Parking is difficult. There's a parking garage nearby that costs $3. Which incidentally, means I spend $3 less at my destination since I have to get back that cost.

Reviewed May 3, 2017 via mobile

We had a family event celebrating a very special occasion and couldn't have been more pleased. The food was outstanding and so was the service. Everyone ordered something different and everyone raved about their selection. Definitely recommend!!!

Reviewed April 26, 2017

Great food. Service was a little slow, as one gentlemen was waiting on all the tables by himself. He was good, and had a helper, so all was fine.

Cozy atmosphere with a lot of couples.

Pork chop was grilled to perfection.