“Hot Tub Time Machine”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in White Haven
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Hot Tub Time Machine”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed there as a time share exchange during August. The property looked like it got left in the '80s, complete with a Murphy Bed! If you've ever seen the movie "Hot Tub Time Machine," you will know to avoid this place. We only lasted a night, as we spotted a MOUSE in the room the second evening. We decided to have a staycation instead. Don't waste your time or money here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jamie I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
nj
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I must say that I do stay at mountain laurel resort once a year, my husband & I enjoy it. I cannot believe some of these reviews.
The lady who had the moldy ceiling tile in the bathroom, I bet you stayed all week & did you have the problem taken care of?
For the pool being green & smelling like urine i have never seen or smelled it that way.
I must also say that I have seen some of other guests rooms & i must say i hope they dont live like that at home, OMG such pigs!!!!
For the lady that complained about the restaraunt, about the hostess, I do not think she was being rude, & if she was good for her, some people dont understand the business, when they are backed up they are backed up
I could keep going about some of these reviews, its just tooo upsetting

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lovely11Nj
Quarryville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We love going to Maountain Laurel every summer. This year we spent time in Jim Thorpe and visited the jail. We also spent a day hiking Onoko Falls and went to the largest General Store where they have a petting zoo. The week was not the best because of the weather but we made the best of it. I am looking forward to returning in the fall to go snow tubing and horse back riding. Always a good time in the Poconos

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Diane717
PA
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I must start by saying that I understand the negative reviews. The place is very dated and in need of some updating. With that being said, we knew what we were getting into by reading reviews before we booked. I must also mention that my opinion is greatly skewed because of the price we paid. Through Interval International, we got our week for $202 (or less than $30 a night), so all of my views are coming from that perspective. My wife, 1.5 and and 2.5 year old, and I had a 1 bedroom for the week. Unfortunately, there was no view where we stayed and I would recommend a non-first floor unit. There was ample room for us, and we had some friends come down for 3 or so days without stepping on each other's toes.
We found the staff to be helpful and, for th most part, competent. The young bartender was very accomodating and pleasant. There was an older female bartender that my wife and her friend had an issue with . While we were there, the place was pretty dead with it being off season. Well, my wife went to the bar to find the bartender reading in a chair. She said that they were closed.. My wife asked what time they closed, and she said 10. When my wife pointed out that it was only 9:35 the woman simply said that she had everything locked up. It seems that a place obviously struggling to stay afloat would jump at the opportunity to make extra $$.
The restaurant was fair but the coffee shop was pretty good. The in indoor pool was acceptable, the fitness center was very nice, and the grounds were also nice. We shot some archery and enjoyed all that there was to offer. The mini golf was not open yet but looked like a lot of fun. The stables/farm are subcontracted out, and the kids enjoyed that very much. One day, no one showed up though and a family had a scheduled trail ride. They waited around for over an hour and still nothing. I felt bad for them because their kids were so looking forward to it.
The woman in charge of activities was very nice and knowledgeable of the area. I sat through her Monday morning presentation and learned alot. She took the time throughout the week to get to know our names and talk to the kids every time we walked by. We recommend day trips to Bushkill falls, Mt. Airey casino (and outlets), Cabella's, Jim Thorpe, and the Split Rock indoor water park.
In conclusion, when I take everything into context, we had a great week on the cheap and plan on making this our annual spring break destinaiton for its convenience (1.5 hours away), value, and opportunity to escape the cabin fever of winter.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LeonardsofSherman
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We drove up and saw all the pot holes and then when we checked in and were informed you had to pay $.95 for a roll of t-paper I knew we were not going to be happy. And it only got worse. We requested a non-smoking room and they insisted it was a non smoking room, but it was like living in an old bar and dirty ash tray. The pool closes at 6 pm and the restaurant is only open on Friday and Saturday. Thank goodness the area is beautiful and there is a lot to do, so we made the best of it. But I won't be going back to Mt. Laurel. It might be fine in the hotel but not as a time share.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bkieffe1
fitchburg ma
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We just returned from Mountain Laurel resort and Spa last week. felt like we were in a time machine. Irisheyes' review was dead on with their positive and negative review so I won't repeat. We stayed in the same type of room and the pics in their review were what mine would be.
Just a few extra things. The horse stable owner and employees are wonderful and the most friendly people we have ever encountered.
Make sure to go to staff vs. guest vollyball and cookout on thursdays!!
Old fashion fun, horseshoes, bocci, swimming, archery, lots of books and games to borrow. Fantastic family time!
First page of binder is super tacky and needs to be reworded and shortened.
They also seem to nickle and dime you, charge 0.95 for roll of tp??? and most of the games are broken but have no sign to let you know. sign in game room No refunds no exceptions!
Breakfast buffet was excellent.
All in all if you want a truely quiet and relaxing vacation this is your place.
Would I come back? Maybe. Kids really liked it.

Room Tip: call ahead and let them know of your concerns
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
PA
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We drove up their driveway and hit pothole after pothole. At check in(musty smell in lobby and every where else) , they tell us we do not have a reservation while I showed them the printed confirmation. They finally accommodated us.Our suite and the resort desperately needed 20th century updates. We took our kids to the activities center for one of 'MANY' contests listed on the activities sheet. We are told they are understaffed this week so only Bingo at 8 p.m. will be offered. The pull out sofabed and other beds were comparable to sleeping on the floor. On Friday they tell us another family was checking into our room. INCORRECT! We were booked till Saturday! They screwed up another family's reservation! This was a timeshare vacation, we will NEVER return and this is a warning to other families...

Room Tip: Stay Away
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
10.0 km away
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!