The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed 12 July 2015

Stayed here for one night on a Friday. When I booked the room online the listed amenities included a fridge and microwave along with breakfast. Upon check in I was told breakfast was not included since it is the weekend. No where on the website was this stated. Also the hotel website is deceiving as it mentions rooms with views of the creek/stream. I was told that no I could not have this room and had to be in the main lobby. Very very overpriced in my opinion since all I ended up with is a small room with a view of the parking lot in the main lobby. Not at all what I was expecting or wanted to book. I asked at check in that this wasn't what I wanted and was told sorry the hotel is sold out. Yet when I looked online for that day there was available rooms for the same price I paid that included a fridge/microwave. We received a phone call from the main lobby shortly after going to our room. They asked if everything was ok and we said no, where is the fridge? We were told they will send over a fridge right away free of charge. We waited for hours and never received a fridge for our stay. Then I discovered later that night when I pulled back my sheet to go to bed it had blood stains all over it. How disgusting!! The only nice things I can say about this place is the pools/Jacuzzi were well maintained, the onsite bars and restaurants are a plus and the shuttle to the Mohegan Sun casino is a nice feature. I'm not sure I would stay here again though.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank may81
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2015

Dear may81:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our hotel. I'm very concerned with the comments you made specifically about the blood stains on your sheets and I would welcome the opportunity to address your comments personally with you over the phone. Please feel free to call me at your earliest convenience. Your satisfaction and well-being are very important to us and we hope to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 July 2015 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed ourself so much great place we wanted to stay one more day that how much fun we had. Great two days and three night stay we enjoyed the indoor pool and Jacuzzi the bars and restaurants that are on site every thing you need all in one place thank you woodland inn the whole scenery is Beautiful.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a few words regarding your visit. Now you know that you should book at least three night for your next trip. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2015

Just got back from Woodlands Inn. Nice cozy bed, nice room. We enjoyed the entertainment and the friendly staff. We spent a lot of time by the outdoor pool, we decided to stay an extra night. Lots of things to keep you there, great food in Shogun restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear happymomOntario:

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. Please think of us again next time your travel plans bring you to the Wilkes-Barre area.

Reviewed 9 July 2015

...the clock radio kept resetting, meaning the power was going on and off.
Looking further, I saw the radio was plugged into a power strip plugged right behind the mattress, Not only was the plug getting knocked around by the mattress, the cord was pinched against the mattress. This is a disaster in the making, should not be ignored, and too easily remedied. So imagine my surprise when a maintenance man told me this is how they have been since the place was built? Where's the fire inspector or even just common sense and concern for guest safety? Other than that, the room was nice(away from clubs). Good wifi. Staff was great. They accommodated my room request. I was glad we stayed on slow nights for clubs. I could see how easily it could be a madhouse and unpleasant. Pizza was great. Chicken steak was good but ridiculously small for $9. Wings were nothing special. Silverware and tables were much cleaner than you typically find, Unlike most restaurants that are dimly lit, there was no way to hide grime and filth here with the walls of windows facing the water. Breakfast was ok, but ends too early. Setting was very nice- deceptive when just driving by, as the roadside doesn't do it justice. Shower curtains need to be an inch longer and need some hooks in bathroom. For some reason, so many hotels refuse to put hooks in the bathrooms. 4 people living in a tiny room need space to get changed and put their clothes. I'd consider going again if they fixed the hazard.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2015

dear kopjon:

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience regarding your stay at The Woodlands Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the maintenance issue on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with our maintenance department to look into the matter.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Wilkes Barre.

Kind Regards,

Owner
The Woodlands Inn
570-824-9831

Reviewed 9 July 2015

We came up here because they offered transportation to and from a concert venue.. The place was beautiful, the staff was cordial, and the atmosphere was inviting. One of their shuttle buses broke down the night before I got there and being I was the only one scheduled to attend this particular show, the on-duty manager personally took me to and from the concert and were very friendly doing so....
I highly recommend this place for business/leisure....

Room Tip: although the hotel is spread out, the rooms didnt seem very far from the lobby and the restaurant
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family

Dear Bill G:

Thank you for sharing. We very much appreciate taking time to write a few words regarding your recent experience. I am glad to hear that our staff did what they had to in order to get you to the concert and back. Customer satisfaction is first and foremost on our minds.

Reviewed 6 July 2015

We travel to Wilkes-Barre to visit the Mohegan Sun periodically and we have always wanted to see what the Woodlands was about. Stayed one night Saturday July 4th -our room was a lovely streamside room with a balcony and our friends had a tower room. What a wonderful experience! The service everywhere on this property is impeccable, from the amazing customer service over the phone while booking , the bartenders, the servers, the food, check in right down to the management. We met Mitch and Ross, two of the co-owners. I must say these gentlemen are the most friendly, professional customer service oriented people I have ever met and their philosophy trickles down to every employee on this property, thus making this a truly wonderful, enjoyable relaxing experience. We loved it so much we are returning in a few weeks for a 2 night stay. What a gem! Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Balcony room next to the stream....so beautiful!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends

Dear laurieSyracuseNY:

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was a pleasure meeting you during your stay. We appreciate the kind words about the hotel and staff. Please think of us again next time your travel plans bring you back.

Reviewed 6 July 2015 via mobile

After 5 days of tourist traps this was the perfect place to stumble onto!

You will never stay in a place like this. If you want a break from the cookie cutter Hampton inn, holiday inn, or other chain this is it! My 9 year old said I could stay here for a week and never leave the building!

There's so much to do and zero, zero hidden fees! We kept saying, "what's the catch?" The room was so affordable that we thought surely it was a trap. Nope! You get the best breakfast we've had in a hotel in a long time which includes fresh fruit salads, eggs, breakfast meats, waffles with toppings, yogurts, hot and cold cereal. All overlooking a beautiful poconos wooded scene which is somehow right next to the highway.

The rooms are quiet. The balconies are really cool. There are two pools and the biggest hot tub I've ever seen. My kids called it the "hot pool"

There's a little hiking path just outside the hotel too.

The customer service though is truly what makes this hotel BETTER than any others we've visited in Pennsylvania. When we first arrived the check in experience was super easy and the host Ryan made sure we got a room the was perfect for our family. As we walked down the halls my husband asked a staff member from the pizza place, Josh, to point us in the direction of the pool. He took the time to walk us to all of the pools and show us around. He was genuinely excited to show off the property. The staff were all very gracious and seemed like happy employees. This was so refreshing.

While checking in Ryan asked if we wanted to go see fireworks tonight and he arranged a free shuttle service to the casino. Our driver was great! I wish I remembered his name! He dropped us off at the door and then picked us up less than an hour later when the fireworks were over! He really seemed happy for us to have a good time. I know it sounds weird but it was like this staff really enjoyed their jobs. That's pretty rare in the hotels we've stayed in.

The place is wonderful and if we are ever in the area again we will definitely come back!

Stayed: July 2015
2  Thank we4viajeros

Dear we4viajeros:

Thank you for sharing your experience, you said it perfectly. It is important that our hotel not only have the facilities for guests to enjoy, but the interaction with our staff is most important to us. You must have employees who genuinely care about what they do, in turn they make sure the guests have a great time.