“Great Weekend Getaway”

The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This resort is a great place for a couple of days of relaxation. We had a streamside room, and it was so relaxing to hear the water go by, and we enjoyed the privacy it afforded. The place does not look like much from the outside, but the inside is modern, clean and self-contained, although it did seem like a maze at first. We enjoyed drinks on the deck, and the breakfast buffet, and took advantage of the free shuttle to the casino. The room was comfortable and clean, with a nice large shower. We also took a dip in the comfortably warm indoor pool. Staff was also very nice.

The only thing that keeps this place from five stars is the lack of soundproofing in the rooms - we could hear people talking in the room next door - which distracted from the ambiance.

Room Tip: Streamside is best. You don't want to stay on the main hallway near the club and the banquet roo...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Streamside rooms are very nice and quiet with spectacular views of the Laurel Run Stream. Please think of us again the next time your travel plans bring you to the Wilkes-Barre area.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I've stayed at the Woodlands for the past 11 years while attending a local conference. Last year, unfortunately, the conference organizers chose to have the conference at another location. I stayed at the other location due to conference rate, etc. I was not happy with that location. This year they had the conference at the same location but I chose to stay at the Woodlands....great idea! The Woodlands actually featured a lower price than the other locations conference rates, has a more acceptable environment for me and the staff are the best! So accommodating and always so pleasant! Thank you Woodlands for offering great accommodations!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. So glad you chose us over convenience and it was worth your while. Maybe you can convince the conference organizers to book our hotel for next year. Hope you have a great day.

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful Suite ! Lots of room for lounging, AC was quiet and kept the living area separate from the bedroom area. Lots of spaces to work and a cozy seating area for relaxing and working in the suite .
I had a deluxe breakfast in my room one morning and it was delicious . Hot and crisp . There's a microwave and fridge in room and the linens were luxurious.
Staff very friendly and helpful !!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Dear Kelly:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback from our guests help us in our continuing effort in providing a great stay. We hope that you will once again think of us the next time your travel plans bring you to our area.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

I want to thank the Kornfeld family and especially the staff at the Woodlands for an awesome experience during my stay! I extended my stay for 3 days because of how special, kind and sweet I was treated by everyone who works here!!! The hotel front desk and management worked out the best rate for me, and I commend them for that since I am retired from the USAF. They all thanked me for my service. The owners were introduced to me by service staff members and after a couple days I almost felt like I was part of the Woodlands family!!! Not only the owners but all the support staff-maintenance, housekeeping, kitchen all always smiled and said hi. They are so gracious here. Like my parents taught me, if you treat people like you want to be treated they will do the same. Wow!!! They were right. Thanks everyone so much!!! Oh, by the way I am 47 years old and have stayed in many 5 star hotels during my career, but this is the Best.

Room Tip: All rooms have different advantages I found out during my stay. Just ask the reservation staff about...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear Nichole,

Thank you for sharing your experience with such a positive review. Your feedback will serve as inspiration to all of our staff going forward. We hope that you will once again think of us the next time your travel plans bring you to the Wilkes-Barre area.

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Our family was at the Woodlands for another MMA event. We all, my son, wife, and I, always enjoy our stay. Check in staff are always welcoming, and rooms are always clean and comfortable. Although we live close enough that we don't have to stay, we enjoy doing so because it's always like a mini vacation. The restaurants in the Woodlands offer a good variety of foods. Would recommend to anyone that needs a nice and reasonable place to stay. Although we didn't leave this night, there is a lot of nearby activities. We will be back again!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Dear Matt:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you all had a great time at the MMA event. Please think of us again the next time you plan your mini vacation. Hope you have a great day.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I went to stay at the Woodlands as it was my anniversary and a friends birthday so we decided to do a little couples trip. The couple that was with us came on friday for the fight (9/22/17) and were able to get their rooms without issues. I will note that they are frequent customers to the establishment so they may have gotten things that we didn't being "first timers". They did note that they switched rooms on Saturday and the manager informed them that the room that they book was sold. She tried to give them two double beds... a couple out for a birthday weekend want the same bed that big enough for the both of them (fyi both the male and female are over 6 feet tall). The couple reported after debating back and forth they were given a room on the stream side with a balcony. OK less about them and more about my experience. We can in and were welcomed fine. We tried calling for over one week to see if we could get a room NOT IN THE TOWERS. I mean we talked to night staff, middle of the night staff, morning staff, managers, etc and were continuously told that all rooms were booked. We arrived and asked for a room in any section except the towers and were informed that all rooms were booked, but this was questionable as our friends already told us that they were upgraded a room. How if nothing was available. So we ended up in the Towers. We then asked for extra towels and wash clothes and were told that they ran out. Lol Its a resort... and they ran out of towels. Otherwise the room was fine. We did at night ask for pillow cases and the front desk (older gentleman) said well I don't have anyone to bring them to you so if you want them you can come and get them. LMFAOO. Cant make that stuff like that up.

Rooms
spacious and nice. You can literally hear what happens in the rooms next to you. The rooms are connected with the door so if you want to have two rooms and open the doors, it'll work... but for me it was a definite NO!. All night I heard every show that was on and they had TV on all night so I barely slept due to such, and even know when they left because the noise stopped.

Did we complain to the front desk not at all. I felt like since I needed to get my own pillowcase how the heck was he going to help make the night get better for me. Ask me to go over to my neighbor and tell them to turn the television off. I was in a suite in room 410.

Beyond the room complaint the establishment is really nice. The driver on Saturday was amazing. Great personality, hospitable, and fun to talk to.

Food/restaurants good.

Our birthday friends were given a lot of vouchers like free money to the casino and free drinks so it was a little awkward when we ordered things/went out and the staff would as us (anniversary friends) where were our vouchers. Invisible but feel free to give me one. Again the couple noted that they attend often and get things all the time and were surprised that we weren't even asked if it was our first time. What-evs.

Without the room issues this would def be a 5 star from me but just the minor things like no sleep, hearing the room next to me all night, struggling to be able to get a room in the area of my choice, etc decreased my ability to give it high stars.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay in the Towers. Rooms attached. The MAIN is the "hot spot" if you like to mingl...
1  Thank Samantha S
RossKornfeld, Owner at The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Dear Samantha,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so very sorry about all the room issues. I don't believe anyone wants to hear the noise from the neighbors next door. Soundproofing issue for sure that we need to address. I wish you would have said something while you were here so we could have done something for you. I'm glad you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay and hope you will gives us another try.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

My husband and I wanted to getaway for a weekend not too far from home but that felt like we were on vacation and the Woodlands Inn was the perfect place. Room was simple but clean and the restaurants and bars onsite had great service and were not expensive at all. The vouchers given were also a great way to save some money - which we then spent at the spa attached to the hotel. Overall a great experience with friendly staff and lots to do!

Room Tip: Tower is far from club - so it's quieter

Dear Rachael:

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay. I'm thrilled that you both had such a wonderful time. We hope that you will once again think of us the next time your travel plans bring you to the Wilkes-Barre area.