“Lovely mean in Bucks Co, with local seasonal menu”

Charcoal Steak's 'n Things
Ranked #9 of 49 Restaurants in Yardley
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2018

Fantastic meal at Charcoal last night with family. I have heard about the place for brunch, but I would say they have a wonderful dinner menu. My husband thought the portions were on the smaller side, which they were, especially for the price point. But I think they were perfect, by European standards anyway. With that said, we ordered most dishes on the menu between the two of us and kids.

Bread: while we would not typically order bread, it is a must here! For $5 you get a pretty generous 4 slices with a nice slab of very soft butter. The texture, the crust, the soft inside, it was all to die for! Or maybe it's that I have not had bread in years - anyway, you must try it!

Apps: we had the calamari, tuna and seasonal heirloom tomato salad. All three were excellent. Tasty and mixture of textures and flavors. Although I probably would have skipped the tuna, just not that exciting or memorable.

Pasta: same as with bread, it is not something I would typically order or eat. Their pasta is to die for however. My husband and I ordered Cacio e Pepe Bucatini, and my 6 year old daughter practically devoured the whole portion before we finally told her that it was actually not the kids pasta with butter that she ordered. Speaking of the kids pasta, both kids got one with butter and cheese, the other with tomato sauce and it was delicious as well. And a nice surprise at only $5 a plate.

Entrees: I decided to throw all caution to the wind and go all out by ordering Yardley hot chicken, which is actually fried chicken! I don't remember the last time I ordered chicken, let alone a fried kind, but let me tell you, it was worth every single calorie. The portion was large, 4 pieces of mostly thin breast meat. Battered and friend to create the crunchiest crust ever. I had the hot sauce on the side, as was splitting it with kids, but I bet it would have been that much better if the sauce was poured on the chicken as soon as it came out of the fryer. Pure heaven.
My husband had the steak. Perfectly cooked, but for me lacked personality or the fatty sear that melts in your mouth. I almost want to think it was maybe sous vided (is that even a word?) and not seared enough at the end...I could be wrong.
As if all this gluttony wasn't enough, we decided to try the Rigatoni with meatloaf marinara. Again, excellent. I cannot say it enough, pasta is fresh and delicious. As it would be in Italy. A must try!

Dessert was shared between the kids, with me snaking in a spoonful for a taste test. Ok, maybe it was two spoonfuls. Polenta Budino - very sweet and rich. I supposed as it should be anyway.

A short word on service. If you want the table by the window, apparently you need to specifically request it in your reservation. We did not know this. I guess a request for social occasion: "anniversary" that I places, did not justify getting a window table. In fact, come to think of it, our special request was not acknowledged at all, what's the point of asking to specify a special occasion then? Overall, we were not impressed with service and I will just leave it at that. Would definitely go back though, as well as recommend.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

We used to go all of the time. Loved the burgers etc
Then they became foodie plus. All types of wacky and pricing entrees at dinner. It became costly for an in week meal
Breakfast is great

1  Thank gdhmba
Reviewed June 27, 2018 via mobile

We went for breakfast and lunch. Our lunch dish was a cheese steak with fries. The fries were doughy and not light and crisp. The bread the cheese steak was served on was totally wrong because it was too thick and heavy. The breakfast was a sampler which had eggs, pork roll, bacon, sausage, potatoes and pancakes. Nothing stood out as being delicious except for the pancakes which were light and fluffy. We have been coming to this place for years and today’s experience was disappointing because it wasn’t as good as our other times at this establishment.

Reviewed June 11, 2018

We enjoyed a very tasty dinner while seated near the window with a view of the Delaware River. Charcoal has a moderate sized dining area (casual ambiance) an eclectic menu, and very attentive wait staff. Be sure to have a reservation because this is a very popular venue.

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

I do wanted to give this place 5 stars. I actually ate here twice in the same week! I visit Yardley a lot and was excited that there was a new place on my horizon. The fried chicken on a brioche roll was delicious! Perfectly prepared. My dining partner got the famous Blueberry Pistachio Pancakes. I took a bite and was in heaven. I vowed to be back in ASAP and to get those. I was so excited. Well 2 days later I arrived for my pancake experience. We sat at the counter. Unfortunately 2 servers were so involved In their own conversation it was hard to keep their attention. I placed my order and sat and waited. My pancakes came out and I asked for maple syrup. I have learned to ask if the syrup is REAL natural syrup and to my extreme disappointment I was told that the syrup was the watered down high fructose corn syrup artificially flavored maple syrup. Then , I took a bite of my dry pancakes and the were missing the pistachios. I believe this was due to the servers being so preoccupied that they didn’t really listen to my order. They did offer to remake my order but knowing that there wouldn’t be any REAL syrup it was really pointless. I will be back , but I will BYOB my own bottle of syrup!