See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 17, 2017

Was a great hotel and anchor for downtown. Attended auction of contents in June. Gutted and will be closed for at least two years. May be rebuilt. Looking forward to new hotel. Would love to see it jazzed up like the Renaissance Hotel in Albany New York.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2017

This hotel is going to be closing for refurbishment and boy does it need it. There is loads of potential in the bones of this building and I am interested to see how it will be renovated. However when we stayed the rooms, while spacious, were in great disrepair. The carpet was disgusting and actually scary to walk on in bare feet. The bathroom sink leaked and the toilet ran. The furniture was very worn.

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed November 1, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for my sisters wedding. We always check any hotel for bedbugs regardless of where we stay. Checked the bed-nothing. But around 12:30 I happen to wake up and look at my pillow. 2 bedbugs inches from my face. Horrified I immediately took a shower, threw away my pajamas and went down to checkout. The girl at the front desk said they would refund my money and have the manger call me in the morning. Well wait and see if they actually call me tomorrow. This place is old , dirty and gross. Stains all over the carpet. Dust everywhere. Rusty towel holder. Peeling wallpaper. And bedbugs. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank msprajcar
Reviewed September 25, 2016

While the outside of the hotel and the entrance/first floor are gorgeous, the rooms themselves desperately need to be updated. The ceiling in our room had water-spots and the walls just generally needed fresh paint. Everything at the hotel felt old, and therefore did not feel truly clean. The appliances in the kitchen of our suite literally appeared to be from the 1960's. The decor in general was outdated; the couches and other furniture, again, seemed to all be 1960's-style. Overall, the hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, but for the price I would expect a more modern feel to the inside of the rooms.

One benefit to staying at this hotel is that you are right in town so it is a great location if you're looking to walk around York. The rooms also offer a great view of the sunset and downtown York.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephanie M
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2016

October 2016
Dear Stephanie, Thank you for taking the time to give your review. Gladly, I can tell you that The Yorktowne's new Owners agree with you and have developed a 20 million dollar financial plan to rebuild York's Community Hotel.
After being owned by non-York Owners in recent years, The York County Industrial Development Authority purchased the hotel. The hotel will be closed in November of this year, 2016 and will re-open in 2 years. It will be an exciting time for The York Community and we encourage you to watch for details !

Reviewed September 19, 2016

We stayed in this hotel because of the close proximity to a wedding venue and other wedding guests were staying here. I was not dismayed upon entering the lobby. Yes, the carpet was in dire need of a good cleaning or just overall replacement, but it was not completely terrible. I was, however, taken aback by receiving an actual brass key for the room. I didn't think these existed in today's modernization. Upon unlocking our door for the first time, I had to ram my shoulder into the door to get it open. We were then transported immediately to 1980. Nothing in that room had been updated since then. We have stayed at historical hotels in the past, and we've even seen many shows on TV about historical hotels that have made every attempt to maintain the original historical architecture and charm while adding modern amenities and updates. Not the Yorktowne. Not even a phone or alarm clock or TV from the previous 25 years. Contractor grade sink fixtures are ridiculously cheap, but that's not even on their radar.

The toilet had fresh urine on the rim (it wasn't even dried, so it had just happened). Besides that, the toilet requires a minimum of pulling the handle up and down at least twice in different directions and holding it there until the water slowly flushed away, all the while water constantly leaked from the flusher. The tub was trickling (not leaking, the faucet was actually on very low). The ancient air conditioner luckily still worked well. Although we had to figure out a way to tack the curtains back to keep the air from just getting trapped behind them. The only light sources in the room were the bedside lamps or the light above the sink. The bed was not very comfortable, the wallpaper was peeling off, the carpet was in the worst condition possible.

The bartender at the Offcenter (attached to the hotel) was incredibly rude and disrespectful. Apparently if it is your birthday, you are not required to do your job, or even make an attempt to do it well.

Even though this was a one night stay at a convenient location and simply a place to sleep, I will never stay here again or even recommend it to anyone. Historic to me doesn't mean cheap and outdated. There was no charm at all or anything that made it feel historic to begin with besides the lobby, so why not just make the upgrades?

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yeeness

Thank you for taking the time to respond. As stated in the review & response above, the hotel will be closed new month, November 2016, to begin a two year 20 million dollar rebirth. The funding is in place. The York Community is ecstatic. The result will be spectacular and something that contributes to a blossoming Downtown York.