“Great location, but rooms are L.B.”
Review of Bristol Harbor Inn

Bristol Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Ok, so let me start by saying the location of the Bristol Harbor Inn is great and in a perfect location for walking historic Bristol, RI. But other than the location the Inn, or rather hotel, is nothing special. This is disappointing considering the cost of a night can run from $150 - over $200. My wife and I booked an evening here for a Valentines weekend getaway and dinner at the Dewolfe Tavern. I will rate Dewolfe on its own in another review. For now I will say breakfast is disappointing and though not prominently posted, be aware that the continental breakfast is only served until 10am!!!

Now I will refer to the a Bristol Harbor as a hotel. There was very little that gave any sense of an Inn feeling. The lobby area was nice, but the rooms and decor felt cheep and unkept. The walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors as well as the loud slamming of the doors up and down the hallways.

ROOM
Nothing special at all and in fact for the location and price we were very disappointed in the room. Lumpy mattress, old tube TV, mismatched lighting, cheep posters in frames to look like paintings of flowers and cheep looking furniture. Nothing to remotely provide a feel of New England charm in the heart of a great historic New England town. If dropped into the room blindfolded you would think you were in a Best Western in anyplace USA.

The doors we actually dirty around the door handles of the bathroom and room door. The light switch plates were the same. There were holes in the walls we're the door handles had hit too hard and one of the sprinkler heads was held together with an emery board jammed into the back of it. The closet was just a cubby in the wall, there were no glasses in the room and the grout between the tile in the bathroom floor was a gross dirty brown in color. And one thing I found odd was that there was no emergency information or map on the back of the door, or anywhere in the room, to show the emergency exits, etc.

OVERALL FEEL
In walking the hotel the soda and ice machines are directly in front of the elevator. Very large machines right in the hallway, weird place and ugly to look at. The hallway lighting was not all working. The shades on these lights were not in great shape either. When taking the elevator to the 3rd floor you exit to rows of boxes filled with some kind of files. Just very messy looking and low budget (L.B.) feel to the hotel.

BREAKFAST
The hotel does provide continental breakfast at the restaurant next door, the Dewolfe Tavern. This was a bit of a joke and though this restaurant is not part of the hotel I feel it needs mention as the hotel is providing the free coupon with partnership with the restaurant.

Make note, this continental breakfast ends at 10am!! Though there was no notation of this on the restaurants menu that only states breakfast from 7am -12pm and the hotel does not tell you this. We found out when arriving at 10:15am and the waiter pointed my wife to the upstairs area to help herself to the breakfast. She promptly returned stating that the waitstaff advised this ended at 10am. Our waiter did not even know this and the manager did not seem to care when we explained that we could not take part in this part of the hotel offering. His response was only that he had put this notation in the room service menus. Well, if planning to eat at the restaurant we had no need to read the room service menu, so that is a poor explanation. Our waiter had more customer service skills and empathy than the manager.

OVERALL
Overall it is just average at best. With such a great location this could be a great hotel or even a boutique style hotel or Inn. I just don't see that whoever owns the Bristol Harbor Inn really seems to care about the details. There are many other true Inns and B&B's in the area I would suggest over Bristol Harbor Inn for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank PocketClam

Reviewed 9 January 2012

The room was warm & cozy, but the guests in the other rooms were very noisy, either partying or arguing, but either way I couldn't sleep..plus the doors slam. Noise from the street was loud, too. This place is close to bars and patrons coming out of bars were rowdy. Not a good place to stay if you're looking for quiet. I would definitely skip the free continental breakfast. It was served in the room upstairs at DeWolfe, no one was there at all..couldn't find napkins & no one to ask. Pastries were stale, o.j was sour. Terrible. We are now glad we chose not to eat dinner at DeWolfe, but to be fair, I've. heard many good things about their food, I guess they feel that if it's "free" then it doesen't have to meet any standards. Kind of dampened my desire to try the DeWolfe out for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mich1210
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I recently stayed at the Inn on the last leg of a move to New York....moving those last few precious items. I parked directly in front and everything was safe. I was so comfortable in a lovely room with a fireplace, I stayed an extra day!
Unfortunately, the next week I had to return to Bristol for a memorial service....and stayed again at the Inn. The staff remembered me when I called to make a reservation and after a 4 hour drive....I needed a place to change for the service early in the morning. Not only was I accommodated with a beautiful room, early check in (very early), but I was extended a special rate. Having traveled extensively in Europe...I always enjoy the Mediterranean feel of having breakfast overlooking the bay with it's fishing boats and sailing yachts. I highly recommend staying based on my experience, and cannot say enough about the truly wonderful staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My husband and I stayed recently for a wedding in the area. The Inn's location is great as it is right on the water and close to several great restaurants and some interestering shops. Location aside, the inn was nothing special, particularly for the price. You are paying for location clearly. The rooms are quite small although clean and bright. The decor is pretty uninspired particularly given the age and history of the building and water front setting. The air conditioner was an older wall unit that was rather loud. There is a continental breakfast included at an amazing restaurant next door to the inn. While the restaurant is amazing, the included breakfast is not. We saw them taking stale pastries out of boxes from a grocery store and putting them on plates. It was a carb-loading extravaganza. We paid for a regular breakfast the next morning and that was quite good. We had friends staying at another B&B and it sounded like their stay was nicer and at a cheaper rate.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tink1Boston
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This hotel still feels like it is not quite complete. The fitness room is still a work in progress. When I arrived, there was absolutely no parking due to a wedding. I couldn't even unload my car and had to park a few blocks away. The room was very clean, but it was noisy. There was a wedding one night which was very noisy and the following night was noisy with street commotion. Breakfast was very nice and the DeWolfe Tavern had excellent vegetarian selections. It was great to be able to walk around town from the inn. My room was a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We booked late so our room was rather small and overlooked a parking lot, but it was clean and served its purpose. We didn't spend a lot of time here anyway. Be forewarned that over the weekend they hosted two weddings so it was noisy with lots of drunk people wandering around. They put us at the very end of the hall away from everyone, so that helps - but it is primarily a wedding venue during the summer. The staff were very pleasant - contintental breakfast a little stale (literally, stale bread)...however, it is right on the bay - and in easy peddling distance to the East Bay Bike Path and some great restaurants. We will go back...

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My wife and stayed here while taking our son to college. This was my first visit, but my wifes second or third.

The location is great, right on the water and in the center of Bristol, the home of the longest continuous 4th of July Celebration in the US. The end of August is almost off season, so it was pretty quiet in town. We got upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The regular rooms are pretty small, but the suite was quite nice. The inn is a nice local hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful. If you are expecting the W, or a major chain experience, you will not get it here, but thats just fine. Mid week rates are very reasonable. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: There is a newer section of the building and that may have new rooms.