“Be careful at the Bristol Harbor Inn”
Review of Bristol Harbor Inn

Bristol Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My wife and I just returned from a weekend in beautiful Bristol, RI. It would have been a great weekend had it not been for our last night at the Bristol Harbor Inn. First, you get what you pay for. Though the website makes it look an upscale hotel, the room prices match the condition and décor – it’s fine, but like an average roadside motel, at best. Heed the warnings about noise. Our first night was okay. The second day started with children running up and down the halls and ended with a huge, loud party across the alleyway and then the party moving directly across the hall from our room. Loud noise well into the early morning hours and several calls to the hotel front desk yielded little more than the night “manager” telling the offending party to be quiet near our room – thanks for telling them who was complaining! We should have just called the police, especially after smelling what wasn’t cigarette smoke. Okay, the good: you cannot beat the location - within easy walking distance of everything in Bristol. The views of the “waterview” rooms are outstanding. Plus when I expressed my disgust with the previous night, we ended-up not having to pay for it (as we shouldn’t have)! Bristol is a great little town with nice shops and some fantastic restaurants (Persimmon and Agave to name two), just be careful at the Bristol Harbor Inn.

Room Tip: Waterview, away from the alley (south side of the hotel), king bed (there are only a few).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Paul605

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I recently visited Bristol with my husband and son for a family event. We arrived Saturday and left on Friday. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't great, but the location of the Inn was fantastic. We booked a suite which had a separate room for my son. He especially loved the flat screen TV. The size of the suite was quite adequate as were the furnishings. Upon arrival, we checked into our room and were a bit disappointed by the view. The Inn does not front the water, which impacts the view. I asked for a different room and ended up closer to the water, which definitely improved the view. Overall, the furniture and carpeting are slightly worn, but the general experience was pleasant. Convenient location to walk to a variety of pubs and restaurants. We didn't make it to the continental breakfast, but found a great breakfast spot on Hope Street called the Sunset Cafe. Great veggie omlette! Almost forgot - you need to move your car to the library lot for overnight - not a big deal - but should be mentioned.

Room Tip: For a better view, make sure to ask for a room toward the water - room 117 had a funky odor - a litt...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maureen W
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I were visiting friends in Rhode Island recently and stayed for two nights in one of the 'Premier Queen' rooms. The room was far from 'premier'.We had booked the room online after looking through their website, and had opted for the 'premier queen' since it looked to be the nicest from the online photos. We were excited about our trip and wanted to splurge and have a really nice time since we don't get to spend much time together. Walking in to the lobby, it seemed 'nice' but nothing spectacular. The girl at the desk was wasn't overly friendly either. We took the elevator up to our 3rd floor room which was located in the older original part of the building, and had to walk down a long, un-heated corridor with empty walls and poor lighting to get to our room. I noticed on the long walk to our room that it appeared that one of the older windows had at one point been painted shut and they didnt even bother to scrape the large amount of paint off the glass. I could tell it had been like that for a while and no one seemed to care. It looked very sloppy to me.
When we entered our room, it again appeared 'nice', but once we started getting settled in we realized it was not what we thought. The room was very small and the bed looked smaller then a queen. We found a few beer caps on top on the armour that had been overlooked by housekeeping probably due to the fact that they had not bothered to dust the room. The bed was hard as a ROCK!! I could literally feel the springs from the old mattress poking through and the sheets were old and piled. We only got 3 pillows on the bed and they were so flat they should be thrown away. I had to go to the front desk to get more because I had to double up with them being flat as a pancake. The bed was literally the worst bed I have ever slept on and didnt sleep more than a few hours either night. The a/c unit was old and rattled so loud we had to turn it off. Even though it was winter time, we had turned it on to drown out the loud noise of the loud music and wedding going on at the tavern. I was so miserable the first night that I wanted to switch rooms but my husband didnt want to pack up and move so late.
The next morning in the bathroom I noticed that it wasnt very clean. The stand up toilet paper holder was grimy and covered in rust and I noticed rust spot in other places too. The fixtures looked grungy and the shower head was covered in green lyme. The shampoo/conditioner were cheap and they only provided the bare minimum as far as toiletry essentials.
We couldnt switch rooms due to the fact that there was a wedding going on, and also encountered several drunk people throughout the hotel and parking lot. We had also brought food back to the room, not realizing that there was no microwave or even plastic cups in the bathroom! This place slacked on everything! I have stayed at motels that were nicer than this place and at $125 a night in the OFF season, we would have been better off to.
Needless to say, after two long nights, we were ready to get out of there!! We were very disappointed overall and will NOT be returning!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kristen F
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Ok, so let me start by saying the location of the Bristol Harbor Inn is great and in a perfect location for walking historic Bristol, RI. But other than the location the Inn, or rather hotel, is nothing special. This is disappointing considering the cost of a night can run from $150 - over $200. My wife and I booked an evening here for a Valentines weekend getaway and dinner at the Dewolfe Tavern. I will rate Dewolfe on its own in another review. For now I will say breakfast is disappointing and though not prominently posted, be aware that the continental breakfast is only served until 10am!!!

Now I will refer to the a Bristol Harbor as a hotel. There was very little that gave any sense of an Inn feeling. The lobby area was nice, but the rooms and decor felt cheep and unkept. The walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors as well as the loud slamming of the doors up and down the hallways.

ROOM
Nothing special at all and in fact for the location and price we were very disappointed in the room. Lumpy mattress, old tube TV, mismatched lighting, cheep posters in frames to look like paintings of flowers and cheep looking furniture. Nothing to remotely provide a feel of New England charm in the heart of a great historic New England town. If dropped into the room blindfolded you would think you were in a Best Western in anyplace USA.

The doors we actually dirty around the door handles of the bathroom and room door. The light switch plates were the same. There were holes in the walls we're the door handles had hit too hard and one of the sprinkler heads was held together with an emery board jammed into the back of it. The closet was just a cubby in the wall, there were no glasses in the room and the grout between the tile in the bathroom floor was a gross dirty brown in color. And one thing I found odd was that there was no emergency information or map on the back of the door, or anywhere in the room, to show the emergency exits, etc.

OVERALL FEEL
In walking the hotel the soda and ice machines are directly in front of the elevator. Very large machines right in the hallway, weird place and ugly to look at. The hallway lighting was not all working. The shades on these lights were not in great shape either. When taking the elevator to the 3rd floor you exit to rows of boxes filled with some kind of files. Just very messy looking and low budget (L.B.) feel to the hotel.

BREAKFAST
The hotel does provide continental breakfast at the restaurant next door, the Dewolfe Tavern. This was a bit of a joke and though this restaurant is not part of the hotel I feel it needs mention as the hotel is providing the free coupon with partnership with the restaurant.

Make note, this continental breakfast ends at 10am!! Though there was no notation of this on the restaurants menu that only states breakfast from 7am -12pm and the hotel does not tell you this. We found out when arriving at 10:15am and the waiter pointed my wife to the upstairs area to help herself to the breakfast. She promptly returned stating that the waitstaff advised this ended at 10am. Our waiter did not even know this and the manager did not seem to care when we explained that we could not take part in this part of the hotel offering. His response was only that he had put this notation in the room service menus. Well, if planning to eat at the restaurant we had no need to read the room service menu, so that is a poor explanation. Our waiter had more customer service skills and empathy than the manager.

OVERALL
Overall it is just average at best. With such a great location this could be a great hotel or even a boutique style hotel or Inn. I just don't see that whoever owns the Bristol Harbor Inn really seems to care about the details. There are many other true Inns and B&B's in the area I would suggest over Bristol Harbor Inn for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank PocketClam
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The room was warm & cozy, but the guests in the other rooms were very noisy, either partying or arguing, but either way I couldn't sleep..plus the doors slam. Noise from the street was loud, too. This place is close to bars and patrons coming out of bars were rowdy. Not a good place to stay if you're looking for quiet. I would definitely skip the free continental breakfast. It was served in the room upstairs at DeWolfe, no one was there at all..couldn't find napkins & no one to ask. Pastries were stale, o.j was sour. Terrible. We are now glad we chose not to eat dinner at DeWolfe, but to be fair, I've. heard many good things about their food, I guess they feel that if it's "free" then it doesen't have to meet any standards. Kind of dampened my desire to try the DeWolfe out for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mich1210
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I recently stayed at the Inn on the last leg of a move to New York....moving those last few precious items. I parked directly in front and everything was safe. I was so comfortable in a lovely room with a fireplace, I stayed an extra day!
Unfortunately, the next week I had to return to Bristol for a memorial service....and stayed again at the Inn. The staff remembered me when I called to make a reservation and after a 4 hour drive....I needed a place to change for the service early in the morning. Not only was I accommodated with a beautiful room, early check in (very early), but I was extended a special rate. Having traveled extensively in Europe...I always enjoy the Mediterranean feel of having breakfast overlooking the bay with it's fishing boats and sailing yachts. I highly recommend staying based on my experience, and cannot say enough about the truly wonderful staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My husband and I stayed recently for a wedding in the area. The Inn's location is great as it is right on the water and close to several great restaurants and some interestering shops. Location aside, the inn was nothing special, particularly for the price. You are paying for location clearly. The rooms are quite small although clean and bright. The decor is pretty uninspired particularly given the age and history of the building and water front setting. The air conditioner was an older wall unit that was rather loud. There is a continental breakfast included at an amazing restaurant next door to the inn. While the restaurant is amazing, the included breakfast is not. We saw them taking stale pastries out of boxes from a grocery store and putting them on plates. It was a carb-loading extravaganza. We paid for a regular breakfast the next morning and that was quite good. We had friends staying at another B&B and it sounded like their stay was nicer and at a cheaper rate.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tink1Boston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
13.8 km away
5.6 km away
Founder's Brook Motel & Suites
17.5 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown

Been to Bristol Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!