“Mini Escape”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Very happy with the stay. Plus side, staff friendly, room was clean, & low noise level. The pool and jacuzzi were wonderful after walking around all day. They do offer a breakfast which we did not take advantage of. It's about a 3 mile straight run to downtown Newport.

Negative, mattress a bit hard (no topper), the fitness room had nothing to wipe down equipment and the parking lot is shared with a chain restaurant. Oh and only 1 elevator.

For a great Thai meal try Bangkok City on Hwy 214. Simple restaurant with great food!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We normally stay at Hojos just down the road from this hotel which is perfectly adequate and very cheap. However, we were pleased we gave the Holiday Inn Express a chance and this was a good decision as there is very little to complain about here.

The staff were friendly and efficient on check in and subsequently. The King Size bedded room was large, with a sofa, fridge, microwave, large flat screen TV, dvd player (free dvds could be borrowed from reception), and desk. Efficient aircon and the normal en suite with shower over bath. Decor neutral and not looking at all tired - this comment applied to the whole hotel.

Free breakfast was OK and unusually omelettes were available. Nice pool and hot tub area, and a couple of computers to use the free wifi (coded card if you have your own computer). Next door to Chilis. Really a very good place to stay for a visit to Newport and one which we will probably go for in the future assuming we can get a good rate as we did this time round.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pentangle99
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here April 10th to the 12th. The Hotel is very clean and the room we stayed in #338 was excellent. In the room we had two double beds, micro-wave, fridge, wall safe, and a 42 inch flat screen T.V. The room and bathroom from the first impression was wow, for the money the room was clean. The beds and pillows were comforable. Indoor pool, fitness center and a computer room with two computers
The breakfast was good. A lareg dining room that seats 50 people at one time, enough space to eat and run. You had the usual food along with a pancake machine that turns out 1 pancake a minute. I had two and they were so-so. They also had eggs and bacon, along with toast, bagels and ceral. Coffee,Tea and hot chocolate served all day.
We were there to explore Newport. It's a 5 to 10 minute ride to Thames Street. 5 to 10 minutes to the Cliff Walk and the Mansion about the same time. Some of the mansions have free parking or you can park on the side streets. Don't forget 10 mile drive (ocean drive) It's starts at the end of Bellevue ave and rides along the ocean, also along the way there are two public parks.
Overall our stay at the hotel and the visit to Newport was great. I would go back and stay here and make this my base.
Tips.....From Nov 1st to April 30th street parking is free, after that the "season opens" and parking meters and public parking you will have to pay.
Eat at Anthony's for great seafood. Don't let the outside fool you. It's a fish market on one side and a resturant on the other side. You will have to place your order with Rachel and then they will bring you your food. Don't miss this place. On trip advisor it's ranked #2 for resturants.

If you are looking to get away and don't mind driving 10 minutes to all the attractions. Don't pass up this hotel. As always with any hotel if you have a problem, just report it to management and they should repair, fix or even change rooms for you. If you feel you need to be compensated... ask and maybe you will receive. Remember all people are different, this hotel was a GREAT VALUE FOR THE MONEY.........

Room Tip: Wear flat shoes and buy the 5 mansion ticket that gives you access to 5 out of 8 mansions. $31.50 p...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ATOZNJ
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Really nice affordable hotel, will definitely come back.

Pros:
The property, rooms, pool, restaurant/breakfast area were very clean.
The location is quite good (about 10 minutes from the main attractions in Newport).
Very affordable.
Well appointed rooms (flat screen TV, 80 Channels, nice bathroom, fridge and microwave...)

Cons:
Not on the water, you will have to pay quite a bit more to be.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I recently traveled back home to pack up my fathers house and needed a place to stay for 2 weeks. Since it was such a long stay I needed something with affordable prices that wasn't going to make me nauseous. A family member of mine always use to stay here when she was in town so I decided to give it a chance and was very happy with my choice.

Check in was simple and Tim at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The room was clean when I arrived and the most I found wrong with it was a minor stain on the curtain. Through out the stay housekeeping also did a very good job of keeping the place clean. The breakfast in the morning was as good as one would expect from a free breakfast but the coffee was hot and the bagels weren't stale so it got the job done (especially with a Dunkin Donuts a block away). There is also a chili's right next door for convenient eating.

The only problem I had was that the mattress in the room wasn't very comfortable. That said it wasn't like sleeping on a board either. Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We decided to kick off a New England road trip for our Anniversary with a stay in Newport and since I'm a PCR Platinum member I of course decided to use PCR points for this stay. After driving 10 hours we were really looking forward to the Jacuzzi room I had booked for 25,000 pts (pts worth $250 value).

First off this location is now where near as central to the popular downtown/harbour area as it looks on a map which is actually 4 miles away and too far to walk and there is nothing of interest nearby so after checking in we went downtown for the afternoon and returned in the evening after a great time in Dwtn Newport and looking forward to that Jacuzzi after a long day.

We get Jacuzzi rooms probably 40 times a year so have a routine (inspection-fill&drain-wipe down) to make sure they are clean. This one looked ok on the surface but after filling it and running through a cycle it was disgustingly dirty and looked like someone washed a muddy dog in it based on the massive amount of chunks of dirty/stuff from the water jet lines that filled the tub. Disgusting and unusable. Checked the rest of the room and with the exception of the bed someone did a very poor job of cleaning it. Went to call the front desk and the phone didn't work (connection on the wall just hangs loose so random connection). A very apologetic and nice person on the front desk could not come down to look at it as they were short staffed ie (1) person on and no cleaners and no other rooms as sold out.

Sooo....the Jacuzzi was useless and we had to wipe down the room with sani-wipes that evening to use the room. So disappointed in this stay we couldn't wait to leave early and didn't even try the breakfast we paid for as creeped out on hygiene here.

Bed was comfortable, the A/C worked fine, and lots of parking but that's it for positives

Conclusion: Left a note (with my contact info) for the Manager upon check-out and also complained in a survey later that I was not pleased and denied what I had paid for but received no response for a while then suddenly I get 50% of my points back on the PCR website. If I received what I paid for i.e. safe/clean Jacuzzi and a cleaned room fine it would have been worth the 25000 pts but if I knew we had no Jacuzzi and it was a self-serve room cleaning I'd have found another hotel. Point is as a high volume client of this brand when I experience such a denial of services like this from a location I get a full refund and assurance's it won't happen again but not at this facility. I'm a big fan of IHG but next time in Newport we'll book with a competitor actually downtown and we'll never go back nor recommend to anyone given way too many issues around our first stay.

Room Tip: Unfortunately in our case...the best way to get a good room here was to stay somewhere else. Cleanin...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TM643
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

T M,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received accommodations that were unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We visited Newport and wanted to stay near downtown, but even in the off-season the Marriott wanted $179/night plus a parking fee! Luckily we discovered the Holiday Inn Express for less than half the price and only a 10-minute drive to all the main Newport sites. We were given a "king suite" which was very clean, roomy and comfortable. Staff was extremely pleasant. Our only complaint was the breakfast -- the "omelet" was stale and rubbery, and the pancake machine was broken our first morning. Stick with the "safe" options: cereal and yogurt.

Room Tip: We were near the side exit, which could be a little noisy when people were coming in and out, but ve...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple