“Don't stay here” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in October. It was one of the worst hotels I have stayed in years. The rooms smelled. The beds did not have matress covers. The walls were paper thin so we heard the neighbors and the curtains were not very thick so it was quite bright from the outside lights. A pretty bad place and expensive to boot.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Howard M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

Perhaps there is only one hotel I have ever stayed at that was worse. A hotel in the “bad part” of a city in Spain that had bullet holes in the windows. That is the only hotel that can beat this one out for “worst hotel ever”, so that isn’t saying much.

My husband was in Newport for work for a month, stationed at the Base. They were full at their lodging, so he stayed in this hotel. At the time he didn’t yet have his Govn’t travel card (it had expired) so we used our personal card to hold the room. Upon check out, he would pay with his government card. He alerted the front desk no less than 4 times of this. The card was NOT to be used for final payment.

When I came to visit his first room he told me I’d be scared to sleep there. I sure was, it was on the first floor with no screens in the windows- with only black out shades. It was in full view of the parking lot, so you either changed in the dark- or had the windows open and had to change in the bathroom.
The walls had holes in them. There was what looked to be a hole from someone punching it near the bed. It was left unpatched.

There were stains up and down the walls, on the furniture, and in the bathroom- there was some kind of red/pink stains all over the walls and floors. The tiles were cracked and moldy. There was mildew all over the shower. The sink was probably replaced back in the 80s. The carpets were so dirty, that when I walked around in white socks-the bottoms were black! Not just like gray from walking around your house- black and dirty. Like I walked outside.

Apparently, there are no pets allowed. However, in the room next to us there was a dog. He barked from when we arrived home at 4 pm until 1 am when his owner came back. Non-stop. My husband had to go to work at 6 am and be alert for 12 hr duty on base. Not to mention he must be well-rested and alert to do security work. We called 3 times to complain. On the 3rd time the girl at the desk said no one else called to complain and she wasn’t sure what we were talking about- there was no note of the 2 previous complaints.

Finally, my husband asked to get moved. He said it was too loud (you could hear EVERYTHING) and he needed to be at the back of the hotel. They moved him to the 2nd floor in the back. This room WAS cleaner. It smelled like there was a new carpet. But there were NO headboards (so strange). The bathroom was just as old and gross, and mildewy. There were ants crawling around the window sill. When he arrived there was simply a table with a folding chair (ya). When we returned at least this was replaced with two newer looking chairs.

The TV was from the 90s, at best. The furniture was old. It would cost very little to replace the old gross stained shade on the 80s lamp. The room was completely dark all the time, with a dim lighting. There was a fridge (requested since we were a long term stay) but it had No freezer and the fridge was barely cold.

I really can’t believe some people think this is a decent hotel. I was agast that there was a wedding party staying there. If I was the bride, I’d cry if I had to spend my wedding night in a dirty, dingy, ant filled, soiled room.

To top it off, my husband went to check out, and they had CHARGED our personal credit card. As we noted, he was here on business—and the Navy was paying. They said they “couldn’t find” the receipt from the over $2700 charge!! I told them I would call the police. They charged our card, without prior warning and WITHOUT our permission. What if we didn’t have the money in there? I called Ramada to complain. In order to get reimbursed we needed the ORIGINAL receipt. The manager is still looking for it. If we don’t have it by Friday- I am calling Middletown Police Department!

DON’T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: The back. 2nd Floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lavitamigliore
Rockaway Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed 2 nights in room 104. A very odd shaped room, it is situated under the staircase. Unfortunately you can hear people loudly going down the stairs. Also, the walls are so thin that we heard every word our neighbors said, it was as if they were in the room with us. That being said, the noise stopped when we went to bed so it did not keep us up. There is no chair or desk in the room, probably because of the strange shape there is no space for it. Room decor was outdated but we don't care about that, i'm just trying to give an accurate description.Those were the negatives of our stay.
There were a lot of positives: the continental breakfast was good. Pastries, bread and toaster, instant oatmeal, muffins, juice, coffee. Get there early, coffee runs out. The bed was new and very comfortable. Pillows were also new and comfortable, as were the sheets. Shower had hot water and good pressure. Free wifi in the room, and there is also a computer center in the lobby with a printer. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant on site but we didn't try it.

The location is perfect for sightseeing in Newport, just a few minutes drive. There is plenty of shopping nearby. Overall we'd stay here again but in a different room. Good for the price.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 104
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Where2next629
Rochester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We'll start with the good: the housekeeper did the best they could with what they had to work with in our room. Despite the room's condition, I felt what was there was as clean as could be with what I'm sure were the limited supplies the housekeeper has to work with. Also, a couple of service incidents that required associate assistance, the employees I encountered were nice and fairly quick to respond to my requests.

Now on to the topic of upkeep. I work in hotel management and I am fairly understanding that sometimes budgets don't allow for big million dollar renovations, that being said there were many inexpensive things that could have been done to improve the feel of this hotel. First, we were staying on the first floor (135) and were assigned a room near the bar- this made sense to me because we were attending a wedding and there was an after party at the hotel so I'm sure they wanted to limit any noise complaints. The first floor would be fine, except that on our walk to the room we passed many "back of house" areas including the kitchen and the laundry room. Everytime we passed these areas the doors were wide open giving guests a view of food prep (which convinced me not to eat the free breakfast) and laundry (at least I saw a comfortor being washed). We all understand hotels have these areas, but as a guest I don't want to see it. Then, we got to our room and turned on a very dim light...I'm thinking they put a 20 watt bulb in to limit how well you could see the room. There was not nearly enough lighting. The walls were in very bad shape...cracks, marks, stains etc...a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would have been a big help. We also had drain flies in our bathroom sink which generally appear from food...eew. The room did smell old and musty but on the plus side our windows did open. However, with no screens and being on ground level we didn't really feel comfortable keeping them open very long. The windows only had black out drapes and no sheers so you were either sitting in complete darkness or had no privacy (especially on ground level). The furniture was badly worn, the bedding and the tv were from the early 90s (at the absolute earliest). Our television remote worked but the back cover for the battery was missing and so the battery was exposed. Also, one very poor housekeeping experience: when I got out of the shower in the morning and grabbed a clean towel I opened it only to find it had tons of little black hairs stuck in it! My stomach turned and I tossed it and grabbed another...all the rest were clean but it definitely left me wondering.

Hopefully since this hotel was recently taken over by Ramada, they will put some time and effort into improvements....

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor on the back of the hotel so you can leave the window open. Bring y...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SRoberge
Billerica, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Room smelled of mold and mildew. Air conditioner was too loud. Out dated and old furnishings. The most unfriendly people at the desk. The bartender was accommodating. This was not our CONFIRMED hotel. We were relocated here at our expense because the Best Western had "water issuses" with some of their rooms. We later found out that the Best Western had overbooked and there was no "room damages" at there hotel. Would not stay at a Ramada or Best Western affiliate EVER!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Sandy101_A
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

There is no description except totally horrible and extremely dated. The hotel was a recommendation on a website for a wedding we were attending in Newport. The rooms were dreary, walls badly in need of painting. stained rugs, no headboards on the beds. To make matters worse, the room had spiders and ants.

We left the room at 9:00 a.m. and returned at 3:30 p.m. to find that housekeeping had not gotten around to cleaning the room. We complained and attempted to find another hotel, but because it was Jazz Festival weekend, there were no rooms available.. We had no choice but to stay. I The person in charge was extremely apologetic and acknowledged that my complaints were valid.

We were very surprised to find the conditions to be as unacceptable as they were, especially since the hotel was recently taken over by the Ramada Chain. I have read some of the other reviews and cannot believe that other travellers found this to be a nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sneadNaples
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

The room was clean and large, but could use some updating. The on-site bar and restaurant staff were great. We also used the shuttle to downtown, it was very convenient.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank B40Traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
2.6 km away
Atlantic Beach Hotel
#15 of 18 in Middletown
1.4 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown

Been to Ramada Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!