Francis Marion Hotel
  • Pool
King Charles Inn(Charleston)
Indigo Inn(Charleston)
3,152 results
All reviewsswamp foxhistoric hotelking streetan older hotelwithin walking distancefarmers marketsmall bathroomchocolate covered strawberriesbeautiful lobbycorner roombell staffdowntown charlestonsouthern charmperfect locationbed was very comfortableparking garagefree trolley
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed there one quick night for a conference. It's very nice, but doesn't quite live up to the promises on the web site. Location was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2012
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

We do continuously make improvements to our hotel using the feedback from our guests, so if you have any specific things that you noticed needing “tlc”, we would love to have that feedback.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is a beautiful, historic building. It is located right in downtown Charleston which was perfect for walking to all the shops and restaurants.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The valet was busy, but with 8 wedding parties in the hotel at one time it was understandable. It's a small valet area on a busy street, so you have to just find an opening or be patient. We never waited longer than 5 min.
The rooms were clean and spacious. Our confirmation email showed a list of room amenities. One item listed was a kitchen. We had a coffee maker, no kitchen.
The bathroom could use a few repairs. There were a few minor cracks in the old caulk and tiles, but it was very clean regardless.
We were on the 7th floor, which looked out over the roof of the building next door, or the maintenance building of the hotel. Either way, it wasn't pretty.
There is a Starbucks conveniently located in the hotel.
We look forward to staying here the next time we are in Charleston.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view if you plan to spend time in it. Also, for valet, request your vehicle at least 10-15 min in advance.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Trip Advisor ratings don't allow a simple "good", and "very good" (4 stars) seems high, while 3 stars ("average") seems low. Anyway, the Francis Marion (or Swamp Fox Hotel as I've been calling it, which dates me for way too many people) is a courtly older establishment that was entirely pleasant for a few days last week at a business conference held there. The lobby is lovely, as others have noted, a comfortable spot to rest, have a side conversation with a business colleague, or just doodle on your ipad (note: free wifi available throughout the hotel,though sometimes clunky). The elevators are slow and the bathrooms small, but my 10th floor corner room was very comfortable and quite spacious. Went up for a rest late one afternoon and fell almost instantly asleep on the bed, almost missing a dinner engagement. I would definitely recommend the higher floors for views -- the Francis Marion is one of the tallest buildings in Charleston (and at that it's only 11 or 12 stories) where buildings cannot be hire than church spires. Take the harbor cruise -- when you look back at the skyline, the Francis Marion stands out. Though not exactly smack in the historic district, the location is certainly convenient for most people, near shopping, plenty of bars and restaurants, and the colleges. You can walk everywhere anyway. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, had no problems with housekeeping, never used room service.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Stayed here for an event for 2 nights. I travel alot for my job and found this place a little too old for me. My room was large and comfortable. However the little details were missed. The room was pretty beat up, chipped paint and stained fabrics. My coworkers roomwas half teh size with one bed and a small sofa. my room had 2 beds, full or queen i beleive. Behind teh beds and under them was quite dusty and in eed of attention. The bathroom are super tiny! I also had a hard time getting in my room because the door would not open with teh key card unless u pulled the door before you inserted the card then pushed. what a PIA! Also soem of the the valet guys were pretty aloof prefering to chat with the pretty blondes then take care of my car. Overall not a place i would choose to stay on my own dime.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

I have reviewed your comments on Trip Advisor and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these concerns to our attention. We are continuously looking at upgrades and additions to keep our historic hotel beautiful. Also, I apologize that you did not receive the proper level of service from our valet staff. We will discuss this topic with those employees.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed four nights in May, 2011. The historic hotel is in a great location, no driving necessary to explore Charleston. Across the street from the old Citadel, Saturday morning brought a huge farmers market with white tents, fresh produce, free concerts, arts and crafts and even an authentic Civil War band! Rooms are quite large but bathroom is small. Beds were divine, so comfortable, room spotless, staff very professional and capable of assisting with any need, parking deck available, staff courteous, would love to return soon to the Francis Marion!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

We would love for you to return soon, too! We appreciate you sharing your comments on Trip Advisor about our hotel, location, and staff. I will pass on your kind remarks to our staff. Thank you.