Lowest prices for your stay
FindHotel
Hotels.comUS$292
CheapTicketsUS$292
Orbitz.comUS$292
3,765 results
All reviews swamp fox historic hotel king street an older hotel within walking distance small bathroom beautiful lobby corner room downtown charleston perfect location southern charm front desk staff fm conference college valet closet
Selected filters
Reviewed May 21, 2019 via mobile

Although the downtown location was great, and I thought the old hotel would be quaint, we had lots of issues. The beds should be Queens not Doubles, the Walk-in closet was bigger than the teeny tiny bathroom. The toilet didn’t flush, the tub didn’t drain, no exhaust fan in the bathroom and barely room for one person. The room rate was reserved over a month prior online and it changed daily: so get a confirmed room rate in writing!
The AC was so loud it kept us awake all night. No view at all. We looked at the dumpsters. The best part was our last night we decided to try eating in the restaurant downstairs adjacent to Starbucks. The Swamp Fox? They had a piano bar which was great. Awesome service, yummy food, great people. Some guests in the bar began impromptu singing and after a few songs they were so good, they started gathering a small crowd. It was so fun! At least a dozen people all stopped & sang together a Capella for a long while. A night I won’t forget.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank frugalshoppers
FrancisMarionHotel, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2019

We are sad to see that we could have left you with a better impression. We always want you to have a great stay here, but we can assure you we do not change our rates after you book with us. We hope you will be able to give us another chance to make this right, and if there are any questions you have, we would be happy to talk it over.

Reviewed May 19, 2019

We stayed 4 nights at the Francis Marion in early May. The hotel is older (elevator is slow) but charming in many ways. We had originally booked a king room but had to change our dates and only suites were available for our new dates. When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded to a penthouse suite! We stayed on the 12th floor and had a fantastic view of Charleston. Our very large suite (full kitchen, living area, bedroom and bath) was nice but the "living room" was in need of an update as far as the furniture. The couch was very uncomfortable to sit on However, the small washer/dryer came in handy after a day at Folly Beach!

This hotel is in a great area and is walking distance to most everything in the historic district. We took a pedi-cab twice to dinner but otherwise walked everywhere. The Fort Sumter museum and ferry are about a 15 minute walk. We dined at several restaurants in the area. We enjoyed Coast and Virginia's on King. We also would recommend Fleets Landing, Blossom (happy hour is wonderful!), and Peninsula Grill. The Citadel was graduating the weekend we were there, so we missed out on being able to visit several recommended restaurants.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. We travel a lot and the staff at this hotel were the friendliest we have ever encountered! That goes for Charleston, as well. Exceptionally friendly people! We loved our time there!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
FrancisMarionHotel, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2019

We are so glad you were able to have a nice time with us! Thank you so much for the kind words about our service and our atmosphere. We love seeing that you were able to appreciate its southern charm. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed May 18, 2019 via mobile

Definitely an older hotel...some people may call it charming. I love the location and inviting atmosphere. Check in is easy and there is so much to do once you step out the front door. There is a nice park across the street and the free shuttle is also just across the street. Everything is within walking distance, and the walks are what makes Charleston a great place to visit. If you don’t want to walk, the free shuttle is a great option. We actually rode a few of the routes as a free way to site see and stay in air condoned comfort.
If your going to camp out in your room...you may be disappointed. Although they are well appointed, they are small. I live in a modest home and my master bed with en-suite is larger...and I am not sure if that makes me happy or sad.
The rooms were clean and the beds are comfortable. The housekeeping is on their game and we always came back to a fresh and clean room.
They have valet parking as well as a parking garage a few doors over. The location of this hotel is awesome, I could walk a few steps and get a pedicure, a few more steps had me into a cigar bar, and then a few more and I am back at the bar in the Swamp Fox.....ah, it’s good to be a man. Every morning walk starts out to find a new breakfast place as well as read menus to plan what we will do for lunch.
If you are going to enjoy downtown Charleston, this is a great place to stay.

Trip type: Travelled on business

It's always nice to see that you were able to enjoy your stay with us! Thank you so much for the kind words about our atmosphere, staff, and location. We loved having you here, and we hope to see you back in Charleston soon!

Reviewed May 16, 2019

Our group enjoyed staying at the Francis Marion. The rooms were clean and large although the bathrooms were quite small. The location was wonderful. Very close to the Museum or Charleston and the wonderful Callies Hot Little Biscuit. A nice walk down into the main part of town made it a pleasure to be able to eat such yummy food, guilt free.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
FrancisMarionHotel, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2019

Deborah, we are so glad that you and your group enjoyed your stay here. We loved having you all here, and we are glad you were able to get everywhere you needed to go. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2019

Staying at The Francis Marion was a well-worth splurge. I went to Charleston on a whim for a quick vacation. I wanted to stay somewhere classy and opulent. The Francis Marion looked like it would fit the bill! When I arrived at the hotel, it was early and I wasn't expecting to get a room right when I got there, but they did have a room available for me. The wonderful woman working at the front desk asked what I was there for and I told her to escape my crazy children. She laughed and said to enjoy my mom-cation! I swear, I think she upgraded me to a bigger room...as she gave me a double deluxe, which was roomy and spacious. It had two bathrooms as well as a fantastic view of Marion park. That evening there was a knock at my door and there was a handwritten note from her along with a dish full of chocolate covered strawberries and candied pecans telling me to enjoy my vacation. I don't know if they do that for all the guests...but I'm going to pretend she did it just for me hahaha! I know that there have been reviews on how small the bathrooms are. Like I said I had two in my room. One was a very small full bathroom (that I didn't even realize was there--I thought it was a closet door at first!) and the other wasn't huge, but had plenty of space to move around. The space around the sink isn't big, but they do have a shelf above it to put toothpaste/toothbrush and a few toiletries. That did not bother me in the least because in the room there was a vanity with a chair and a great light up mirror, so there's a place to do your makeup and lay everything out. I thought the room itself was very 1920's, yet modern. Everything was pristine. The lobby was also gorgeous. The staff was attentive and wonderful...I cannot praise all the people that work there. They helped me several times with sightseeing in Charleston. I did eat at the swamp fox one night (as I wanted to try out as many local restaurants as I could). I got a salad and it was wonderful. Also--All the buses are free to ride! The hotel is in a great spot right at the top of king street. You can walk to almost everything. I highly recommend the Old South Carriage company for a tour. All in all a FABULOUS stay and I can't wait to return!

Room tip: Someone said there's a ghost on the 10th Floor!
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank SMSM978

We love seeing that your stay was 100% worth it! We hope you enjoyed your mom-cation and enjoyed the strawberries. Thank you for choosing us to have a relaxing weekend. We loved serving you, and we hope to see you back again soon!