The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel
US$369
US$218
US$199
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$129
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$105
HIExpress.com
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$335
US$229
TripAdvisor
2,387 results
All reviewsdrawing roomrooftop barart tourresident artistmilk and cookiescomplimentary sherryvendue rangemain buildingwaterfront parkfree bikessouthern breakfastno windowwine receptiongas fireplaceperfect locationqueen roomfrench quarter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having just retired, my wife and I planned a long awaited vacation to Charleston, Savannah and St Pete. After a life-time of travel, I use Trip Advisor to find the top hotels in town, and so I booked the Vendue.

What a mistake!
i have the impression that the hotel is believing its own press, and has lost the attention to detail that is so important to a great hotel.

Room 103: On the ground floor, with passing pedestrians immediately outside the window. When we drew the drapes it was extremely dimly lit. Worse still, it was adjacent to the staff workroom, in earshot of all their chatter.

Housekeeping: Although my wife was sick, we left the room from 10:00am to 2:15pm assuming the room would be serviced. It was not. I had to request the front desk to get the room cleaned.

Room Service: Oh boy!...it took over 90 minutes (and numerous calls) to get it...even then the order was not complete, and the food was cold...and my wife's cup was chipped. In fairness, the Manager comped the meal, but this was little comfort by then.

So we are really looking forward to leaving the Vendue, and hoping for better luck at the Kehoe House.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iaev2500
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am the first to admit I am picky. Negatives? Very small bathroom and not the cleanest. We brought this to the managements attention and they were very receptive. It did not, however, take care of the issue. My understanding is that they were going to look into it in greater detail after we left. I trust they have. The breakfast should have been better but it is a newish concept so it may improve over time.
Positives? The location is superb. Walked everywhere. Ate nearby and the restaurants (as most know) are wonderful. We were there for four days and did not have a meal that was not at least a B+.
The staff was top notch. Everyone, without exception, was fantastic. The bartender (Robert) was one of the best ever. Fantastic martini!! (thank you, Robert). The roof top bar was not for me (the weather was just ok) but the bar inside was just fine.

1  Thank Jimi1953
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel had a really high rating, the location was fantastic and the staff friendly. The Vendue is considered one of the best hotels in Charleston, I booked a room it was nice the room was tastefully decorated and clean, one caviat if you get booked in the other property across the street some of the rooms have no windows that was a problem for me. The front desk manager did relocate me to another room but I was made to feel like I was a problem child. Overall I did like this hotel but I felt it was overrated.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has a window
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Fantastic stay at this awesome hotel. The staff is amazing, particularly the doorman/porter/all-around-helper Mark. The hotel has a very cool vibe, the breakfast is nice, the bar is beautiful, the roof-top is cool and the art is better than most museums. No need to stay anywhere else!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel places emphasis on the art, which isn't really my scene, but it's a cute little boutique hotel in a great location in the historic French Quarter right by the water. The rooms are charming and each one is unique. And the Rooftop bar is one of the hot-spots downtown because there is lots of outside space & fresh air to enjoy with friends (although the bar does not serve frozen drinks or big variety... so the bar draw is really location and views).

Those logistics are all to the favor of the Vendue, but what really set the experience apart is the way the staff did everything possible to make their guests feel special. The individual staff members were very warm, talkative, and informative. They step up and greet you by name as they get doors for you, welcome you, ask you how your day is going and what they can do to make it better. (And I have to specifically single out Mark from the bellman staff as even more exceptional that the rest. If you have the good fortune to have Mark show you around, you are in good hands.) The staff welcomes you with champagne or mimosas. The concierges are ready from 10-6 pm to help you plan & arrange your activities. They have an artist in residence, you can watch, and an art expert to answer your questions. The experts host an art reception in the lobby bar each evening with complimentary wine and appetizers. And they put out warm cookies & milk every night at 9 pm. Plus they provide complimentary cookies and cream sherry in your room each day during evening turn-down service. (I kind of felt like I was in the "Be Our Guest" scene from Beauty & the Beast.) The front desk staff were accommodating, and the bar tenders are very helpful.

They also provided a complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby bar each morning. (Yogurt, granola, berries, cereal, croissants, English muffins, jam, coffee, juice...) It was not a big hot southern breakfast, but it was a good starter to your day, and if you wanted that big breakfast, there are plenty of venues close by where you could go for brunch. And in a world where hotels are opting not to provide coffee, but rather to sell Starbucks in the lobby, I really appreciate a hotel that will still have fresh complimentary coffee in the lobby for their guests. (And the coffee at the Vendue was delicious. Much better than Starbucks.) My biggest complaint about the Vendue was simply that the breakfast was very popular and they really don't have room in the lobby bar for everyone to find a seat... and most of the seats have very low bar-style coffee-tables... so eating isn't easy. There was one morning (around 9 am) when I had to stand in the lobby and put my coffee mug on the floor while I ate standing up. That was very frustrating. They certainly need to work on the breakfast logistics, or open the rooftop for breakfast, or also serve in their art gallery room (high-top standing tables). Or maybe if they create a buffet elsewhere, so people could eat at the bar (instead of serving from the bar). I think breakfast is a new addition, and they will work out the kinks.

And another bonus perk I didn't know about is that they have a sister property (the Tides Hotel) on Folly Beach, so you can take an Uber out to the beach and use their pool or beach chairs. I believe you'll be very happy if you stay here.

Room Tip: Many interior rooms, but not sure exterior rooms have much of a view to speak of.
1  Thank Lou L