“A hidden jewel in the low country”

Inn at Middleton Place
Ranked #27 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2008

As a travel agency owner, I have seen many properties over the years. With that said I must honestly say, The Inn at Middleton Place is one of the best kept secrets in Charleston. The amenties offered by the inn cannot be beat. It is not your average B&B it's so much more. I would recommend this inn to my clients in a heartbeat for those who would like a unique experience. The rooms were larger than most hotel rooms. I love that each room has floor to ceiling windows with wooden shutters for privacy. The rooms offer great views of the woods and/or river. The complimentary breakfast is marvelous. If you have major mobility issues, I would not recommend this inn. All in all this inn is a must see and the staff is wonderful.
Atlanta, GA

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank go2atlanta
Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 19 July 2008

The mix of modern amenities with the rich texture of the past made this a memory we will not soon forget. The pool alone is something to remember, with its views of the Ashley River. We enjoyed the buffet breakfasts as abundant as the ones we are accustomed to from our travels abroad. We took our son on an alligator walk, toured the main house, the gardens, and the nature center. All of this was within ten minutes walking distance from our nice room! The combination of modernist architecture with the plantation setting is brilliant. The service is unobtrusive, yet present. In fact, the whole feel of the place is one of silence and comfort, all the while knowing that staff is busy doing their jobs to maintain the place in tip-top shape. We will be back. Without our stay here, our trip would have been less memorable.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank havchi
Reviewed 9 June 2008

The Inn at Middleton Place was beautiful. There was a lodge where everyone could go and hang out, play board games, and have a few free drinks every night at happy hour! My favorite was the giant chess table on the lower level. There is also free breakfast every morning for those who stay at the Inn. The rice feilds are beautiful and full of natures creatures, it is a very calmplace to be. We had a fire place in our room which was very romantic. All employees were very helpful. Next time I visit I am going to go horseback riding, becuase I didn't get to it the last time! There is a lot of history surrounding Middleton Place and by staying at the Inn I was able to experience the area fully.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 April 2008

Several weeks ago we had the pleasure of staying at the Inn at Middleton Place in Charleston. What a delight! Anyone with a knowledge of modern architecture will truly appreciate the Middleton Inn and its award winning design. We loved the contrast between the historic plantation and the modernism that is the Inn. We had great service and especially enjoyed the 5:00 cocktail hour in the lodge. Delicious crab cakes h'ors douvres, nice red wine and in a setting complete with a large fire in a wonderful setting. We hardly needed to go out to eat dinner! However, we dined at the Middleton Inn restaurant and loved our low country meal...What a treat!

We had two wonderful nights at the Inn...very comfortable beds...and rooms that even Frank Lloyd Wright would appreciate. Complimentary basket of snacks with the room... very clean, great design, convenient and a refrigerator to boot...perfect for our kids! Our children ages 10, 15 and 17 enjoyed the lodge and played games during the evening. We felt very comfortable having them walk around without us. They also enjoyed the lambs and authentic craftsmen that work on the property. The breakfast is perfect for families...we especially loved the southern grits.

We were fortunate to have arrived at Middleton when the azaleas were in full bloom and the gardens are amazing. The grounds are meticulously kept...we thoroughly enjoyed the entire stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank thezenmama
Reviewed 28 April 2008

If you are a hip, young, urbane student of avante garde architecture, you will love the hotel and hate the adjacent plantation. If you a supporter of the preservation of our nation's history, one who gets a thrill at walking in the footsteps of our forefathers, you will love the plantation and hate the hotel.

The hotel rooms are "austere" at best. I though they were a cross between a scananavian cruise ship and a fallout shelter. The walls are white painted concrete, with an accent wall done in blonde wood. Most furniture is built in, adding to the cruise ship experience. The floors are hardwood in the bedroom, and marble in the bath. I didn't think to bring bedroom slippers at the end of April, so my feet were freezing on these floors.

The bathroom was large, with a tub/shower that was massive. You could use it as a small pool if you bring the kids. There are no individual bottles of shampoo and no bars of bath soap. These are located in a wall dispenser. The tub was very difficult to get in and out of. I do not recommend this at all for seniors or tthose with mobility issues. One last thing about the commode. There is a full length mirror behind it. This was just plain weird.

One wall in the room is windows that are double-paned, and the seals are failing. So the windows look dirty, streaky and spotty. They are covered by more blonde wood shutters. I kept the shutters closed because we had a ground floor room, and I didn't want the whole world to see me.

We asked for 2 beds, and these turned out to be twin beds. Again, I felt like I was on a cruise ship. The size of the room could have accommodated at least double beds. The bedding was very, very soft, and I felt like I was going to fall off, so we pushed the beds together. The hardwood floor underneath was flithy. Ick!

Not a thing about this room was cozy, comfortable, or welcoming. I certainly didn't feel I could relax. We tried watching TV - which was a 19" antique too far from the bed to see very clearly. There were only 9 channels - including the Weather Channel, ESPN, and A&E. If you don't watch TV at home, you will like this. I personally like to watch TV when in the evenings.

No doubt this is a good deal, even though the price of the room at first glance seems high. It does include admission to the planation, the gardens, and the planation house. You are treated to a 'gift basket' of local cookies, candied nuts, and high-end chips, plus fresh water, gourmet coffees and teas upon arrival. This was a great touch and very handy. It also includes full, hot breakfast in the morning, and free wine, cheese, crackers and a hot appetizer every afternoon.

You can easily spend the weekend here without having to drive anywhere. There's plenty to see, do, and appreciate. We found the restaurant to be excellent for both the food they offered and the service. The dishes were well thought out, sophisticated, but with portions and flavors that appeal to a wide range of palates.

We travel to Charleston for weekend getaways about 3 or 4 times a year. We will probably stay here again, because we love the plantation so much. In spite of everything, the plantation is one of the best such places open to the public on th east coast.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CableCarBelle
Reviewed 1 April 2008

The Inn at Middleton Place is one of those properties that is a bit out of the ordinary stream, a destination in itself so to speak. There's a bit of MPD about the place. There are nods to contemporary, sybaritic luxury: fluffy bathrobes; "artisanal" handsoaps that smell like orange blossom; oversize, sunken bathtubs with "artisanal" bath salts and slinky-feeling body wash. (I kinda wished that I had brought along a bar of plain old Lux, but each to his own.) On the other hand, with the guided nature walks and bird watching checklists, not to mention the chilly morning stroll through the woods to the breakfast "Lakehouse" or daily plantation chore demonstrations, there are also hints of rustic summer camps of bygone days. We loved it all but folks too far at either extreme might be unhappy here.

The rooms are glorious. Our "standard" room had six floor-to-ceiling windows, fitted with adjustable louvres. I was disappointed that the windows didn't actually open but there were two scuttles that did open, allowing for cross ventilation. The room fireplaces had been sealed up for the season by the time of our visit but would be most inviting during cooler weather.

The "Plantation Breakfast" was a bit of a letdown, standard fare and unexciting baked goods (I doubt very much that breakfast burritos, the "special" one morning, ever formed a staple in oldtime Charleston) but the rich cheese grits were a nice local touch.

There is an evening reception with wine and beer, cheese and dip and crackers and a light appetizer dish. The Plantation itself has a full restaurant--we didn't try it--about a ten minute stroll from the Inn. You should be advised that the nearest restaurants off property are a good ten minutes away. We had been tempted to make the Inn our roost for a full stay in the Charleston area but the travel time to downtown, especially when traffic is heavy, make this an unattractive option. In the end, we spent three nights here, soaking up the magnificent gardens and plantation tours, and then moved closer to Charleston itself for intown sightseeing.

Guests at the Inn enjoy full, complimentary access to all the grounds and tours at the Plantation. To stroll through the quiet gardens at dawn or dusk, or to sit all alone beneath the Middleton Oak and watch the moonrise over the river--long after the day visitors have been shooed out--these are treasured memories indeed.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Torontotraveller2
Reviewed 4 February 2008

After having twins, my husband and I needed a getaway just to enjoy each other. There are no bells and whistles. If you are looking for a fast pace...this is not the place for you. But, if you are looking for a relaxing getaway, then this is the best we have found. We have traveled to many inns and nice resorts....this is our favorite! The hammocks are wonderfully placed around the inn. The walls are covered with a thick ivy, and the entire atmosphere is intriguing. You can kayak, go horseback riding or just walk the gardens.

The rooms are amazing! (very lodge-like) The floor to ceiling windows are incredible and the tub is wonderful. We have decided to make it a yearly trip. The afternoon lodge reception was a snack and drink reception that was included in the price of the room. We enjoyed having a glass of wine and sitting by the fireplace. Overall...no complaints!!! WE LOVE THE INN!!!

1  Thank tired_twin_mommy