“Great place super food”

Hank's Seafood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Seafood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 939 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Church
Description: Located one block from the Charleston City Market in the heart of the Historic District, Hank's Seafood Restaurant has been Voted Best Seafood Restaurant in Charleston for 16 consecutive years. Hank's Seafood is housed in a beautifully restored 100-year-old warehouse and serves the best and freshest seafood with an emphasis on local recipes. The lively community table is very popular with solo travelers.
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Walked in No Reservations ,
went to The bar and had an excellent drink , while sipping that drink kept an eye on the communal table , five minutes and I had a seat ! Tuna tatar to die for, and main course of seared tuna perfect
The waiter was super too,
knew the menus and wines , extra tip for that :)
Would come back anytime

1  Thank adam-ski70
hanksseafood, General Manager at Hank's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Thank you for coming in to dine at our Community Table! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal, and that your server was so helpful. While we strongly encourage reservations for dining at a table in our dining room, the bar and Community Table are great places to enjoy the full menu and meet new people. We hope you come see us again soon, we would love to have you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,361)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was a big disappointment. I spent a lot of time in Charleston between 1980 and 1985. My favorite restaurant back then was the Ice House. It is no longer there. My goal on this trip was to have a really good bowl of she-crab soup. the problem was, I was there for a business meeting and knew I would have only one chance to have my soup. I checked out TripAdvisor before I left, but on the advice from my taxi driver to my hotel, who told me that the restaurant right next door to my hotel, Hanks Seafood Restaurant, was voted by the locals as being the best seafood restaurant in Charleston, I figured that would be a good bet.
It turned out to be a losing bet. There is nothing like a good she-crab soup, and what I got at Hank's was nothing like a good she-crab soup. It had no crab roe in it. It had little taste. Booo! I also had a dozen oysters on the half shell afterwards, but I was already bummed out by the poor soup and I found the oysters strangely warm, even though they were sitting on cracked ice. My colleagues seemed to enjoy their meals, but told me they were good, not great. For the price they should have been great. I sampled a hushpuppy and it was the best thing I had there.
Our waiter had a bit of an attitude too.
I would recommend trying a seafood restaurant higher up on the TripAdvisor recommendations. Sorry,Hank!

1  Thank Limulus
hanksseafood, General Manager at Hank's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that the food did not live up to you expectations. The she crab soup does include plenty of crab roe- the roe are the orange specks you see in the soup. It is a very traditional recipe that is similar to the recipes you would find in restaurants such as Henry's 30 years ago. We would love to have you back to give us another try. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I spent 4 days in Charleston this week. We had been here once before, 20 years ago. We were joined by 4 family members for 2 of our days. The 2nd day we were calling restaurants recommended to us for reservations that night. We were calling at 3pm, trying to get reservations for 5, 5:30, or 6pm-very short notice. We were turned down by the first 2 restaurants I called. My sister-in-law saw Hanks Seafood restaurant advertised in a free Charleston guide we picked up at the visitor center. The fact that it was voted Best Seafood restaurant 12 years in a row caught her eye. I called, and they had room for us at 5pm. The restaurant was less than half full at that early hour on a weeknight. It was not noisy. The prices are a little high. The broiled seafood platter that my husband and I each had was $26 each. But, it was excellent! Everything our whole group had to eat at Hanks Seafood was excellent. The she-crab soup was also exceptionally good, as were the desserts. Our waiter was excellent. I really recommend trying this restaurant anytime you want exceptionally good seafood.

2  Thank scenerylover

Thank you for dining with us! We are glad that we could accommodate you early in the evening, and that you enjoyed the food and service. While we may be a little more expensive than some of the more casual restaurants around town, you certainly get your money's worth. Please let us know when you return!

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Just wanted small meal after being "tourist full" near our hotel. Excellent soup and salad and one order of Shrimp and Grits. Excellent food, attentive professional service.

1  Thank lynfo16

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear that we "fit the bill" for the delicious, small meal that you were looking for. We would love to have you here next time you are out in Charleston!

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We really enjoyed our dinner at Hank's. Our reservation was honored right on time. Service was friendly and professional. The place was bustling but the noise level wasn't ridiculous. The space is attractive even though located in a former auto repair shop. The food (shrimp and grits, broiled seafood platter) was swell. Prices for wine by the glass were on the high side but food portions were ample. One caution: parking is scarce in the area so start a little early or just walk there.

1  Thank GPBurdell67

Wonderful! Our team is pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your time at Hank's. Please know that we greatly appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you here again soon.