“An institution in Charleston?”
Review of Hyman's Seafood

Hyman's Seafood
Ranked #129 of 1,015 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$1 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Deli, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The HYMANS have been at the same location for over 126 years starting out as a Wholesale dry goods store then changing to HYMANS SEAFOOD AND AARON'S DELI in 1987. The HYMANS commitment to guaranteed customer satisfaction is the reason that HYMANS SEAFOOD is now a Charleston landmark.Hymans Half Shell offers fresh oysters and great happy hour specials daily. Fresh LOCAL fish specials daily, delivered straight off of our coast. If there is ever a problem, please notify one of the family members that are in the building at all times.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I have to admit we visited Charleston with no preconceived idea and no plan, just decided to roam in the streets and go anywhere that seemed interesting. So, we discovered Hyman’s really by luck and were totally fooled by the innocent look from outside, to discover inside a huge restaurant that really seems to be local intuition. It was a pleasant surprise, with quality food and good service. An experience to try.

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (6,211)

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We chose to visit Hyman’s because we had a free crab/shrimp dip coupon from the carriage tour we did 5 days earlier.

My husband and I went at 3:30 on a Wednesday for a late lunch. We happened to get seated by one of the owners and he was incredibly nice- he sets the precedent for the staff’s service level. We didn’t know he was an owner until we saw his face on the front of the menu.

Our waitress was Makayla (I’m likely misspelling) and she was also really nice. She didn’t need to write anything down and got our orders exactly right and would overhear us talking and bring what we needed without having to flag her down.

No wonder every celeb wants to eat there when they visit, the food was equivalent to the service level, the portions were generous and the ingredients tasted fresh.

Lastly, I love their upbeat conversation cards that help keep the diners off their phones and focused on the experience, and their souvenirs are actually the type you want to bring home—I never buy souvenirs but I will proudly sport my hymans hoodie!

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Went to lunch at Hyman’s, and the food was good! I recommend the fried oysters and the crab cakes (which is super crabby, if you know what I mean). Not sure that this place would be worth an hour and a half wait, but definitely worth a visit while in Charleston. I also highly recommend the Bloody Mary, which, at lunch, is a great deal!

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Been coming to Charleston for years. It has been a tradition to eat at Hyman’s. Go at an off-time or be prepared to wait. Have the crab and shrimp dip. It is as good today as it was 20 years ago..

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We have eaten here many times and it never ceases to please!
The poboy’s are delicious as well as their fish, shrimp, oysters and their hush puppies are awesome.

Date of visit: March 2018