“Anniversary Dinner”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Reviewed November 21, 2017

My husband and I have been here twice. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere both times. If you're looking for high quality southern fare, I don't think you'll be disappointed. We had reservations and got right in. I have a feeling that at peak times, reservations are an absolute must.

Unfortunately, there was a wrinkle in our visit. We overheard that the neighboring table had been charged incorrectly for their meal. We didn't think much about it. We paid our bill via charge card and went on our merry way. Fast forward. We were just about back to our vehicle (about a mile away) when we received a phone call from the restaurant (they had our phone number because of the reservation). The waitress had charged the neighboring table's meal to our card and our card to theirs. They noticed they had been over-charged before they left and she fixed it, but then she realized that they had paid for our meal. The manager claimed that they could not correct the issue over the phone, so we had to walk all the way back (again, about a mile on sweltering August day). We had parked at the location of a carriage ride we had taken earlier in the day, and because it was included in the price of our ticket, we didn't want to pay to park elsewhere, and we were sight-seeing anyway so walking was part of the plan - before dinner that is! We were tired!
I will say the waitress was very apologetic and kind. I totally get that mistakes happen. She did give us two free desserts when we got back. Unfortunately, it was pecan pie, and we both despise pecan pie! Looking back, I'm surprised they didn't offer more, like a substantial discount on a pricey meal. I've been comped meals at restaurants before for much less inconvenient issues. And, if they hadn't had our phone number from the reservation, they would have been out of luck.

Date of visit: August 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (6,768)

Reviewed November 20, 2017 via mobile

We had such a wonderful experience at Poogan’s! The meals we chose are on the heavier side so if you’re wanting some lite, check the menu online first. The catfish and shrimp and grits were delish. We finished it off with a homemade pecan pie and ice cream. The servers are great and don’t forget to have a Mule while you’re waiting on dinner.

Reviewed November 20, 2017 via mobile

Adorable restaurant and we had a wonderful waiter who was very knowledgeable. Food was good but didn’t live up to the hype for either of us. Had the shrimp and grits and the short ribs with sweet potato gnocchi. We were told they win awards for their shrimp and grits but we have had better. Short ribs were cooked very well and overall the dish was good but not great. Glad we tried it but will explore other options in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2017

While visiting Charleston we decided to stop at Poogan's Porch restaurant for lunch. What a lovely experience. The dining room was bright, airy and very Southern. The food was excellent and service was excellent as well. I recommend this restaurant to everyone I know that is visiting Charleston. I want them to have a wonderful experience as I.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

Food was a average at best. Pimento cheese tasted like ruthes out of the grocery store. Chicken waffles were ok. On the positive side the duck fat fried potatoes were awesome.