“Lovely Anniversary Dinner!”
Review of Oak Steakhouse

Oak Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 999 Restaurants in Charleston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Charlestowne
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed September 26, 2017

My husband and I celebrated our 27th Anniversary here and it was perfect! I made the reservation on line and we were running late; when I called to see about coming in later, the hostess was delightful! Our service was impeccable and food excellent! I highly recommend for any special occasion!

Reviewed September 26, 2017

The only difference between this and High Cotton was the location. The food was extremely well prepared and presented.They did forget the birthday treat but wife was glad they did. The waiter, Rob, was extremely pleasant, We are seafood here, both dishes were very good. I will be going back

Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

We recently selected Oak Steakhouse for our anniversary. We had called ahead twice asking for a favorite table for two in the gorgeous third floor upstairs dining area ( we had recently celebrated my birthday there in August). For us there is a huge difference in the dining areas at this restaurant . First floor is the bar with booths.. very trendy, always crowded and noisy!
The second floor is open to the first floor sort of non descript and also noisy from downstairs .. the decor is quite lacking. The best place to dine , hands down , is the third floor. It is very old Charleston feeling with beautiful hand painted murals on the walls, tall historic windows, a nice view of King street below, very romantic and elegant . Perfect for an anniversary celebration .
We arrived promptly on a Wed night for our seven thirty reservation . First of all they were obviously very busy and there seemed to be a lot of confusion going on at the front hostess stand . We waited about ten minutes and were then shown to our table.. it was ,however, on the second floor not the third as promised . They told us they had several big groups dining that night, and a table on the the floor we had requested was not available for us .
So get this ! We were led to the very back of the second floor to a table that literally backed up to the bath rooms ! And I mean REALLY backed up .. not only could we actually view the doors to the bathrooms ,which are situated in a narrow open hallway ,but as we took our place at the table ( very disappointed at this time but deciding to take it in stride ).. my senses were accosted by the very strong odor of pine sol and chlorine !!
Ugg! Obviously coming straight from the toilets ! Wow ! Absolutely unacceptable ! We told the young hostess that the odor was very off putting and we would not be sitting there . I mean come on this is a very very expensive fine dining restaurant not a taco bar!
when we arrived back down stairs the head hostess seemed nonplus actually ignoring us while other parties were being seated as they entered from outside !Ok Ok being a bit of a baby about these things and sentimental.. all I could do was turn towards the front window to hide the sting of tears.. thinking well this anniversary choice was definitely a miss. My husband was not happy at all but he is and will always be a gentleman . By this time it was eight o'clock .. we were hungry and badly in need of a festive libation to say the least . (sorry to tattle ladies on hostess duty that night but y'all seemed a bit aloof and a tad bit on the couldn't care less side!)
We were ready to walk out the door!!!! Enter Herman !! I believe he is the manager. He was cordial, apologetic, and clearly realized our distress . By this time I was basically done !
He escorted us to the bar,ordered us both a glass of champagne and told us it was complimentary and that he expected a table on the third floor to come available soon.
Two .. or three?.. glasses later ( on the house ).. we were finally escorted to our table . Ravenous but half tipsy we waited a while for our waiter !
Luckily enter Rob! What a fantastic waiter he was !! The kitchen sent out complimentary appetizers .. and though the kitchen took quite awhile to bring out entrees ( meanwhile also gobbling down their heavenly bread) our filets were perfectly cooked as were our sides , crispy onions and sautéed mushrooms . The house Caesar salad was also delicious, garlicky and robust! Robs demeanor was both classy and friendly. He and Herman literally saved the night ! Rob even packed up my half eaten steak ( lots of food and drink by then )and included take home desserts PLUS several of those fresh delicious yeast roll/ biscuits.
Oak Steakhouse , in spite of the mix up with the tables, the class you showed us that night impressed us! Businesses just don't seem to want to go that extra mile for great service anymore . This restaurant did and though this is a very pricey dinner out( our bill 200plus) we will return !

1  Thank patty w
Reviewed September 9, 2017

My boyfriend and I had an early dinner here during our trip to Charleston. I have multiple severe food allergies and Andrea made me feel so comfortable. She made sure the waiter and chef were well versed in my allergies and alleviated any concerns. I had mashed potatoes and steak, which was cooked perfectly. My boyfriend had a salad, which he loved. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, especially if you have food allergies. Be sure to call ahead. The ambiance was nice too - not snobby or pretentious, but upscale. One of my favorite meals on the trip for sure!

Reviewed September 5, 2017

I wish I could rate Oak Steakhouse 10 STARS! Where do I start......??? I was traveling with (3) of my girlfriends for our yearly 'girls road trip', and I decided to make reservations at Oak, as we we were all craving a delicious meal. When I called, Andrea answered, who I later found out was the manager, and she was AMAZING! She was NOT only extraordinarily pleasant & upbeat, but she even expressed how excited she was about meeting my friends and I. AND, if that wasn't enough, when she found out we were traveling from another state, she even gave me her cell number, just in case we got lost. I have NEVER had that happen before! We actually couldn't wait to meet HER!!

Upon arrival, we were greeted by EVERYONE, as if they were waiting for their friends to arrive, -- which, by the way, was an incredible feeling. Andrea then introduced herself, and greeted me with a huge hug, and we were then treated with a glass of sparkling wine (since I had shared with Andrea that we were celebrating a birthday -- JUST AMAZING! Stephen was our server, who was absolutely divine as well, and the meal was absolutely scrumptious -- (the steaks melted in our mouths), the summer salad was to die for, and the desserts (they treated us with a sampler), were EXQUISITE!!!!!!

I have not only shared my experience with friends and family, who can't wait to get there, but I will shout it to the mountain tops -- YOU HAVE GOT TO VISIT OAK STEAKHOUSE in CHARLESTON, SC -- you will NOT be disappointed!!!!