“Hidden Treasure!”
Review of R Kitchen

R Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 984 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Asian, French, Lebanese, Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2015

A couple of weeks ago I made reservations after a friend told me about the place. The idea of going to a "kitchen" and not having a choice of foods, but eating whatever is on the menu for that evening was intriguing. My husband and I decided to try it for our 40th anniversary dinner. We were not disappointed and already have plans to return and bring some friends. We were greeted by Leslie who explained how things work at
R Kitchen. There were two chefs substituting: Robert from the restaurant Rutledge Cab Company and Landise from Magnolia's Restaurant. We started with a delicious salad. Next was fried prosciutto wrapped mozzarella. Then we had crab cakes to die for - and I'm not a fan of crab. This was followed by swordfish and lastly there was NY Strip. Each of these was served as a small plate over accompanying sides. It seemed as if each course just got better and better. My husband and I consider ourselves "foodies" and we can't wait to return.

2  Thank Gail P

Reviewed August 1, 2015

One menu, one price, delicious and special food! Sat at counter, interact with the three amigos. First course was a fresh salad with goodies and a light dressing. Then a carrot and ginger soup, seared scallop which tasted like it just came from the ocean, but not sandy. Then rare beef which was spices but cooled out with a squash purée. All delightful and delicious and things I typically wouldn't eat or order.
Parking lot on the side was a real plus as parking was typically difficult.

1  Thank WendyBNY
Reviewed August 1, 2015 via mobile

Well, that was awesome. My wife and I have lived in Charleston for over ten years and dined at all the usual suspects in our great city (McCrady's, FIG, Peninsula, Charleston Grill, The Ordinary, etc.) but the experience at R Kitchen tops them all. The crew is fun, the food was second to none, the music was good. We had a fantastic time and booked our return trip when we closed out.

1  Thank Phil K
Reviewed July 31, 2015 via mobile

This is for true foodies ONLY! But what a treat for you if you do discover this truly unique culinary trained chef informal almost house party dinner!

Bon appetite!

Reviewed July 26, 2015

We have been going to R kitchen since it opened last year. R could stand for Ross (the owner)rutledge, but either way, we've enjoyed it while Ross is at the helm. We have missed him lately as Saturday was our usual date night. 5 courses for $25, they choose your meal adventure is how this place rolls. We've had some really excellent meals here and they are both unexpected and delicious. We do recommend sitting at the counter by the kitchen..its just not as fun if you don't. Its hard to get in here nowadays due to its rave reviews...so please book well in advance.