“Appetizer/cocktail crawl. This was an amazing evening ”
Review of 5Church Charleston

5Church Charleston
Reserve with OpenTable
5Church Charleston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$15 - US$80
Description: 5Church Charleston serves New American cuisine in a casual yet refined atmosphere. Cutting-edge design, stellar service, and world-class food by Top Chef Alum Chef Jamie Lynch and Executive Chef Adam Hodgson are all part of the 5Church experience. Located in a 100 year old church.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

On a previous visit to Charleston, my daughter and I spotted 5Church and determined to return if we had the chance. Well, we did return and totally enjoyed ourselves. We like to sit at the bar while getting to know a city, a fun way to chat up the bartenders and / or other patrons. Our visit to 5Church did not disappoint in any way. The decor is so interesting, a whole wall of shelves with bottles and of course, the high high ceiling of a former church. We had Bloody Mary s and a cheese with smoked meat appetizer. It has a fancy name that I forget. It was delicious and served with interesting breads. Our friendly bartender sent over champagne and we felt special! Definitely on our growing list of places for a return visit when in Charleston

1  Thank mominmla

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The atmosphere & music fantastic. Seek out better food & service. They were out of Ravioli & Ramen noodles but we Ordered at least 4 other dishes (meatballs, mussels, burger & fried chicken.)The best thing was the French fries. And they were a little too salty.

I felt like I’d been had.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stopped there because looked very cool church into restaurant looks great food okay. The host barely smiled or greeted us at all but waitress friendly. My husband had hamburger wish was just okay my daughter and I had had chicken sandwich again okay. Definitely would not go back.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

What an interesting place. A converted church, with the high vaulted ceiling, what looks like the original wood floor. The visual as you walk in after dark is stunning. The wall of liquor behind the bar (and I mean like a 25 ft. wall with intermittent lit candles all the way up), the 50`s rock playing, the angel wing pendant lamps over the bar, the specular pendant lights high in the rafters, the Art of War script painted into the entire ceiling . . . It was impressive. We particularly liked that the place was dark and a bit loud, so the privacy at the tables is ensured. You can be sitting right next to another couple but feel totally private in your own dining. I inquired how they light all those candles and change out burned out bulbs in the pendants, being so high up. I was amazed at the grandeur of the place.

But the food wasn't an afterthought. So many places nail the atmosphere and then struggle with the menu. Not here. I was shocked my wife opted for just fried chicken. Seemed odd to me for a special weekend away, but man, was it deliciious! The airy batter was spectacular, and it was cooked perfectly. I had a filet special, and it too was cooked perfectly. I wondered with it being so busy, if the service would be spotty, but the floor team supported each other perfectly, scanning the tables and jumping in with a question or helpful hand while our server was busy elsewhere. It flowed perfectly, and everybody was extremely courteous and professional, pausing with a smile at our table as they passed by. We had a few of their signature drinks, and ended with a hot S'mores Trifle. I'm not a big dessert guy, so my wife and I intended to split the dessert. I ate most of it! Overall, an amazing restaurant, and great choice (again, by my wife). And being right near the city market, if you're there on a Friday or Saturday night, you can have a few drinks, a great meal, and stroll the market as well for a perfect evening.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When I first visited this place back in the mid 1980's, it was in fact a restaurant, and a very good one. I do remember a balcony in the rear which had a young lady playing a harp, regretfully neither any longer exist. Soft shell crab was on the menu (being in season), which I really enjoyed. She had the scallops which she too, agreed were very good. The presentation and service was above average. One problem though, the interior space was very loud due to ongoing recorded music. I asked if the volume could be set down a bit, but without any success. Only wish the harpist was still there.