“Can't believe it use to be a warehouse!”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
“Can't believe it use to be a warehouse!”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

If you want a strategic location to tour historic Charleston, then stay at this restored historic warehouse! For our first to visit Charleston (definitely not the last) we wanted to stay in the historic district. What a gem we found! Our room was huge, quiet, comfortable, and well furnished. We stayed in a double decker room which was great to have our two children sleep upstairs. Nice, modern bath and lots of extra features. The lobbies and halls are filled with beautiful oil paintings! Huge heartwood pine beams are everywhere. It's always a treat to find a restored historic building where the architecture has been maintained and yet, modern amenities have been tastefully incorporated. So a modern elevator (in addition to the stairs) provides access to the upper floors. There's a roof deck to have a drink or take your morning coffee while you look out at charming Charleston. And we had a delicious complimentary breakfast. If you want a great night stay in the historic district, my family would definitely recommend staying here!
We also took a ghost tour ( I've included a picture of the company's stable) which we all enjoyed. Just clopping through the streets at night in the carriage was a treat! The historic and ghostly narrative was an added bonus!

Room Tip: Our double decker was on an end and we never heard the noises some of the reviews have mentioned. O...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that all aspects of your stay were pleasant and that we found you a comfortable room to accommodate your family. It certainly sounds like you had the opportunity to explore Charleston, as well enjoy the amenities of the hotel. Thanks again for reviewing us on TripAdvisor--we can't wait to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel has wonderful architecture and looks great on the inside if you like dark wood and brick. But the hotel has no sound insulation from the outside road noise. There is a loading dock for a very busy grocery store directly across the street on the west side and they begin unloading early in the morning. There is also a street cleaner that comes at different hours of the night and early morning at varing times. Be prepared to hear beep.. beep… beep…. from multiple sources. There is absolutely no sound proofing in this hotel. If noise is an issue for you, avoid the West and South sides. The East and North sides on one of the top floors (3rd or 4th) are going be your best bet.

The hotel was booked so they could only give me two options:

Room 114: Entered the room and right on the other side next to the bed is a mostly glass door that exits right onto East Bay street. The seemed to be sealed shut but I could see the light coming into the room from between the door and the door frame. Even with the thin curtain covering the door I could still see people passing by the sidewalk on the street outside. I could imagine crowds gathering outside the door at night to look in at me while changing or coming in and out of the shower. Let’s be real, if I can see people passing by during the day with two sets of covers over the door window, they will be able to see inside at night when I have the lights on inside the hotel room. Even the hotel clerk admitted that it was kind of creepy. Why wasn't this door walled up during the $3.5M renovation?

Room 113: litterally one pane of glass seperates you from a busy sidewalk and E. Bay Street. You can hear the conversations of pedestrians as they walk up the sidewalk and pass your window. This the window in this room is about 15ft high and 15ft wide. The room is very long. I guess to accommodate the length of the window. Probably about 18 ft between the head of the bed and the 25in flat screen TV mounted on the opposite wall. Could have used a bigger TV or just mount the TV on the side wall next to the bed and above the mini- chest/armoire? The two seat couch at the foot of the bed is facing the wall at the side of the bed anyway. It might me nice if the TV were mounted above the mini- armoire opposite the couch instead of above the desk. The couch faces the armoire. Pillows are very large stiff and unforgiving. They look good. Not comfortable. I had to bunch up the blanket and use it as a pillow. Did I say mini-Chest? About 3ft high and 3ft wide. I had to remove the extra blanket/pillow to fit my suit in there. There wasn’t enough room for half my clothes and I only have one garment bag. It also had a dorm room type mini ironing board. I felt like I was back in college and I forgot how to iron with the dinky little thing.

Was this area of the hotel a storefront before? Maybe the seating area of a former hotel restaurant? Whatever is was before the $3.5M renovation in 2000, it seems like there was little planning and they just shoved rooms into whatever space they could. Don’t get me wrong, the rooms are done up to look beautiful. But there was no ergonomics or human factors planning for comfort and functionallity of the guests.

Breakfast was free but it was definitely below average even for a continental breakfast.
If you can call ahead and reserve one of the quite rooms, this place might be OK. Otherwise, I will not be returning here any time soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North and East side are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank HubbyChubby
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you appreciated the architecture and appearance of the Ansonborough Inn. SInce we were nearly sold out on the night of your reservation, the only rooms available were East Bay Studio rooms, which do sit directly on East Bay Street. We are located in the heart of the historic district, so rooms that sit on the street level are not as quiet as our other rooms. It sounds like the front desk associate gave you the opportunity to select your room so that you would know in advance the location of your room and would not be surprised that it was a street level room. I am sorry that you were still so unhappy with your suite. If you do choose to return, I would love to have the opportunity to help you select a quieter room situated elsewhere in the building. Thank you again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed for 3 nights on the advice of family members. Couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel itself -- charming and comfortable! Location was perfect. We walked to all corners of historic Charleston plus strolled to dinner every night. Quiet location yet close to everything. Loved the daily wine and cheese and the lovely rooftop terrace. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and were able to take advantage of our convenient location! Thanks again for your review. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything in the future--we hope to see you again!
Lebanon, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed two nights during a business trip. Although located at a front corner on the first floor, our room was quiet. It was also large and comfortably furnished. But, closet space for hanging clothes was limited. The staff was friendly and efficient. When we had a little trouble with the room safe, the manager was there immediately and fixed it. Breakfast was good and available early. The Inn's location is convenient to shopping, restaurants, and the Aquarium. Driving in from the airport, it was also easy to locate and there is parking across the street. We'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you so much for the TripAdvisor review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Ansonborough Inn and the various amenities throughout the hotel. It is wonderful to know that you found us quiet, convenient, and friendly. Thanks again for your review-- I hope to see you again in the future! (Please do not hesitate to ask for a room with more substantial closet space--as all of our rooms are different, we would be happy to fulfill that request!)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I escorted a group of women to Charleston during the Festival of House and Gardens tour in April. From the initial call with Carrie at the Inn, I knew I had discovered a gem. We checked in to a warm greeting from Carrie and her staff, and were handed our keys immediately. Our rooms pleased everybody in the group, as they were spacious, well appointed and very clean. As the Ansonborough was once a warehouse, the ceilings are very tall, and that adds to feeling of added space. There was frest ice tea, lemonade and hot drinks available throughout the day. The breakfast was certainly sufficient, while the afternoon wine and cheese reception was welcomed after a day of touring. Having wine and overlooking the city from the roof terrace was both relaxing and beautiful. The staff was extremely pleasant and went out of their way to provide whatever was needed. As Charleston was our first stop of four cities, the Ansonborough Inn was a wonderful way to begin our Southern journey.

Room Tip: Rooms 104 and 107 had a separate room with a sofa sleeper. They were extremely spacious!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wizard649
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor! It was an absolute pleasure having all of you ladies at the Ansonborough Inn. There is nothing better than having guests stay with us who are enjoying everything that Charleston and our hotel have to offer. I am so glad that we lived up to your expectations of "Southern Hospitality!" I hope that the rest of your trip was equally pleasant. Please let me know if I can ever assist you in the future. Thanks again for your TripAdvisor Review!
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for three nights. Inn was very nice. Suites on third floor very spacious and nice. Lots of art on all walls. Breakfast was just enough. Same items every morning plus one extra. Really enjoyed the 5-6 wine and cheese every night. Walking distance to everything. I would stay again.

Stayed April 2012
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Ansonborough Inn and all the amenties that we offer. Wine and Cheese (especially Bertha's homemade pimento cheese!) is certainly something our guests look forward to! Thanks again for your review and I hope to welcome you to the Ansonborough Inn again!
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The location was killer. We stayed in the Admiral room which was first class. The wine and Cheese happy hour was really nice, we took our plates to the rooftop area and watched the sun set and looked at the harbor. The pimento cheese was really good. The staff were great with a friendly attitude. Walking distance to the market lots of great stuff in Charleston. The price was a little high , but compared with what the other down town hotels charge it was a cut above. The breakfast was simple , But like the wine and Cheese party, there was plenty of it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. The Admiral Suite is the best room of the hotel, so I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We love it when our guests take full advantage of all that we have to offer--from the views from the rooftop terrace to the assistance we can provide through oir concierge services, it is our pleasure to know that we have helped people make the most of their visit to Charleston. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!