Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Columbia/At Fort Jackson
Ranked #45 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Value”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Great place to stay,service was very courteous and helpful.The room was clean and excellent.I left some of my personal items behind and called the hotel.They were able to help and i got them back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
United States
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed at this location Thanksgiving night only. I got a great rate for 1 night after tapping into discounts. Had I paid more for the stay, I would have been miffed as it was not worth more. The check-in clerk was average in the area of Customer Service.

In just 1 year's time, the hotel is run down in many areas (e.g., the rooms, the elevator and sitting areas in the lobby). Cleanliness is a problem in some areas also. I can imagine that it was really nice during the grand opening, as you can see the potential to still be a nice hotel. When they say "Micro", they mean it when it comes to a room with a single bed as it's small. The fridge is "micro" too.

For those who are non-smokers, be aware that this hotel previously allowed smoking. They went smoke-free April 2011 but did not make necessary changes to rid of all smoke odors. My first two rooms tried were so smoky that I could not stay in them. The 3rd room given was a winner with not smelling smoky, but it was not the type of room booked for and not on the floor requested. It was also dirty in areas (see pics).

The 5 things I liked about the 3rd room was - WIFI worked fine, nice LCD TV, no smoke odor, larger sized room, a comfortable bed. I also thought it was neat that an iMac was in the lobby for use. However, given the problems with cleanliness in the rooms, I did not use it.

Other notable problems:
-Broken toilet seat in room
-Spots on bed skirts in room
-Spots on chaise by window in room (the chaise in 2 previous rooms had spots also)
-Spots on the 1 desk chair in room
-Rusted wall railing in room
-Room was not stocked with fresh toilet paper; two near-empty rolls were there instead
-Room telephone was very dirty
-Three body towels in the room were rolled and placed on the rack damp; they appeared to have been washed by the cleaning crew however
-Marred up elevator
-Run down lobby

I did not try the breakfast so I cannot comment on it. I do not plan to stay here again.

1 Thank TDeals
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This hotel had everything in the room you would want and the designers did a good job utilizing the space into an attractive room. A single queen room, however, is very small for two adults. The continental breakfast included one hot food item: waffles to make. Bagels and muffins were prepackaged.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Cocoa Beach, FL
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Clean affordable hotel with great staff. In town for a Carolina game, GO COCKS! and this was not fat from the stadium and close to shopping for my wife. Small but no more than you need. Free breakfast!

1 Thank G8ter
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stayed at this property one night for family graduation. Very quiet location. Walmart and Chik Fil A very close. Took about 10 minutes to get to Fort Jackson. Rooms very new and modern. Small lobby but very friendly. Roger the manager was great. He will call you by your first name for the duration of your stay. He sat and talked with us and told us all about his family and careers of his children. Roger is a very good man. he cares about your stay, and loves to go out of his way to accomadate you. He allowed us to take a blanket from room with us to early mornng graduation due to cold temps, and then we returned it after check out time, he still allowed our soldiers to go back into the room and change and shower. Roger makes this place feel like home away from home. While I am no fan of Columbia (roads are terrible and confusing) Roger was great. Room smelled good, clean, and although a bit small was still roomy enough for us. 2 queen rooms are alot bigger than the king suites. Nice lobby to sit in and relax (bit small), but nice 60 inch flat screen to watch tv. Brekfast was a little weak, coffee, fresh waffles, and some pre-packaged muffins and rolls, OJ was bit watery. But witl all that said, it was still good. Parking was good, my career is law enforcement, with that said, this place was well lighted, secure entrances, and seemed to be in a safe area. I would stay here again. Give Microtel Inn (Fort jackson) a chance, I think you will be happy. No Pool, No hot tub, No kids activities or play park.

2 Thank Airhawk17
Atlanta
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I took my son and his cousin to hike at Conagree National Park and stayed here one night. Te hotel was very clean , close to shopping and resturants. Raj was on duty at night and was very helpful with dining suggestions. Daniel was on duty in the morning and kept the breakfast buffet clean and well stocked. We will defintley stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My significant other had to see the doctors at the VA and after searching the internet for a place to stay that was decent but inexpensive, I chose Microtel on Garners Ferry Rd. We were so glad I did! The room was very clean, the beds so very comfortable and the staff were so nice and helpful. What a contrast from when we had stayed in America's Best Value Motel a year ago for my grandson's graduation! What a dump that was! We have already made our reservation for this same Microtel in December when we have to return. If you need a nice clean place to stay that won't break the bank, choose this place. I don't think you will be sorry.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business