“Loved the marsh, pool, and bike path” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Ocean Ridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edisto Island
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Loved the marsh, pool, and bike path”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

We had a great time here. The room was fine. The back porch had a screened area, sun area, and opened down to a lake behind that had turtles and alligators. Amazingly we did not get a single mosquito bite. We rented bikes from the resort and loved the bike path that wove thru backyards on the way to the beach or a restaurant. Great laid back area. We plan to return.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Broogill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

To truly enjoy Edisto Island, you must be looking to head off of the beaten path. This location is not for those looking for a typical tourist vacation, but instead for those looking to get away from it all. I have spent my last 5 summers on Edisto and truly love this Destination. There are none of the distractions of vacation time you will find in Mertyl Beach. What you will find is a place to unwind, relax, and enjoy the beach.

This Wyndham resort is not their most up to date resort. But it is the friendliest. It is clean, quiet, and the staff is amazing. Their are multiple pools, miniature golf, real golf, and lots of bike paths and beaches.

On Tuesday and Thursday nights during the summer, the local Lions Club offers family friendly Bingo. The SeaCow offers homemade pie. And the local fish market has fresh shrimp and fish. There are grills on grounds. And the local Piggly Wiggly is not a resort grocery store.

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank David W
Shawano, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I arrived at the Wyndham Ocean Ridge on November 12, 2012 for a one week stay and was assigned a union in the Marsh Point section. The first unit I was assigned I found to be not cleaned with no sheets on the bed, dirty towels on the floors ect. I returned to the front desk and was given a second unit. I noticed almost immediately that this unit was infested with fleas and called management. They sent a very friendly maintainance man who sprayed the unit to kill the fleas. I was concerned about remaining in the unit but was assured that the insecticide was safe and didn't notice any bad smell. I awoke the next morning with welts on my legs caused by flea bites, and again saw jumping fleas. I called management again and was told that they would move me to a different unit. I was scheduled to go on the Charleston tour and told to come to the front desk upon my return to pick up the key to the new unit. I went directly to the front desk upon my return and told that there were no more units available! This was obviously a compete lie as the resort appeared to be mostly vacant. I asked to speak to a manager and was told there was no manager available on the property. I asked to have the manager called and was told no. I asked to at least have the unit sprayed again and was told that they had no more insecticide and could not get anymore. Having no other choice I returned to the unit and spent another night. By the second morning I had more that 300 flea bites that covered my entire body. I went again to the front desk to beg for a different unit and was refused again until I showed them pictures I had taken of my red welts. They finally gave me a different unit which was thankfully vermin free. However that evening as I was washing dishes in the kitchen sink the sink actually fell though the counter spilling water all over the floor. Another maintainance man was sent to fix the sink but I was told that I would have to mop up all the water myself because no cleaning staff was available after 8 PM. I ended up at the island Dr. for treatment and was assured that the Wyndham would pay for my treatment and medication but have not yet been reimbursed. I was also told that the manager would provide a free week at a RCI property but when I went to get the certificate was told that because I was not an RCI owner that I couldn't get the free week. I again asked to see a manager, but was told none was available but that he (Michael Gaines) would contact me via e-mail. He never has. Wyndham Ocean Ridge is the WORST place I have ever stayed and is extremely dangerous. The management is completely irresponsible and negligent. Do not stay at this property.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
23 Thank fleabittenatwyndham

Travellers are raving about these Edisto Island hotels

Champion Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I just returned from Edisto after staying there November 10 to the 16th.The weather was great except for the last day of the stay.I have stayed at several other Wyndham resorts(see other reviews)but this is my favorite place!I do not understand all of the negative reviews on here about this place.The condo was great the resort staff is great and very helpful.The area is a little remote for some but if you dont like that aspect of it then you should go to Myrtle Beach and fight with crowds and traffic!That is not my idea of a relaxing vacation though!I was able to go to Fort Sumter which the resort offered as a tour and they took care of everything.I also took a historical tour of the island which the resort also offered as a tour.What more could you ask for.There was 2 more tours one of Charlestown and the Magnolia Plantation which i did not take i do plan on them for future trips.The island itself is full of history and beauty.I barely scatched the surface of the history part of it but plan on learning more in the future.I have never had problems getting stuff on the island we got some groceries at the piggly wiggly and cooked some meals in our unit.That always helps out.The island is full of beauty and things you do not see at other places.If you like shelling this is the best place for that.I have now been here 6 times and am always sad to leave.It is a great place to relax and get rid of STRESS!I am already looking forward to going back to see more and learn more.I cant wait to get that Moola La French Toast at the Sea Cow it is just the BEST!The drive may be far but i will drive it everytime for Peace!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jimbass
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

Loved this area, the beach, the ocean and the shells. Pretty laid back community. Great food in each restaurant we experienced. The local grocery store is a bit overpriced but why not when you're the only one in town. We came in the late fall so not a lot of tourist traffic, mostly seniors like us. Locals were friendly. We were assigned a two bedroom plus unit with queen beds which were not very comfortable for a six night stay. The worst part was the very small bathrooms. Although they were sufficient, they offered no comfort. Some of our larger citizens would have a real problem. Unit was worn, in need of refreshing. Had a stale, musty smell when we first arrived; fortunately I had brought a can of Febreeze which helped. There were four steps up to the main level, then another set of about 20 stairs to the first bedroom, then another set of maybe 10 stairs to the second bedroom, then another set of six or 8 steps to the third loft bedroom. My husband was recovering from knee replacement and I am facing hip replacement, so the stairs were a surprise and presented some problems.The condo unit provided all our needs, but was not the quality we had experienced previously with Wyndham. The area itself is great. The ocean delivers fresh shells daily, the dolphins play nearby in the water, and the sunsets are awesome. This was our third visit to the island but the first time to stay for an extended period. We want to return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Cowgirl07
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Edisto Island truly is off of the beaten path! Remote location, long drive to and from highway access for day trips to Charleston, Beaufort or Savannah. Found the local eateries to be high priced with low quality offerings and very poor customer service. It is obvious that this community caters to the local weekend (homeowners) crowd vs. travelers. NO nightlife to speak of. Come prepared to relax, read, and eat in! The local Piggly Wiggly grocery store is very overpriced as well, so you would be better served to bring your own food and beverages with you. Wyndham Ocean Ridge is average at best. One Bedroom deluxe Unit in Marsh Point was clean but worn, The kitchen was nice but the bathroom ceiling was peeling and leaky. Decor was quite interesting...a mixed bag so to speak. Have traveled to many beach front communities/resorts and would tell others to skip Edisto all together.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ohiogal50207
Benton, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

This place is so relaxing that we bought a timeshare there. We plan to visit it frequently. Actually we'd visit it more often if it were closer. Fourteen hours a way is a little far for a quick get away. The staff is always so friendly. And the condos are nice and for the most part upto date. The only issue we had was the noise from the other condos when they ran the washing machine; however, that is to be expected. I'm sure they could hear ours as well. This place is within walking distance to the beach, fish mongers, and the property restaurant. If you rent a bike or bring your own, you can ride all over the island. It's within 45 minutes of Charleston, SC and 90 min (I think) of Sav., GA. Great location

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
32.7 km away
The Rhett House Inn
The Rhett House Inn
#2 of 15 in Beaufort

Been to Wyndham Ocean Ridge? Share your experiences!