“Excellent stay but needs refreshing”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Greenville Golf Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Taylors, SC
“Excellent stay but needs refreshing”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed here for a quick overnight getaway and got a great deal through Priceline. Overall it is a very comfortable hotel with excellent service.

POSITIVES:
- Breakfast is free and there is a wide variety to choose from. Not a basic continental breakfast.
- The indoor pool and jacuzzi were great
- Lobby/atrium were beautiful, complete with nice landscaping, fountains, and fish ponds
- Glass elevators allow you to see the beautiful atrium as you go up & down

NEGATIVES:
- The rooms are very comfortable but dated. The decor, carpeting, etc. could use refreshing.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Waynesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 January 2012

The suite was nice and large, 3 sinks in one suite, the coffee was wonderful, staff exceptional, breakfast buffet very good and complimentary, beautiful decor. The only complaint was the indoor pool and hot tub area. The pool was not clean and the enclosed area was cold so we were not warm enough in our swimsuits. My sister has stayed there and recommended the place because we wanted an indoor pool, but she had already told us it was not clean the last time she stayed there. There was noise from children also at 6:00 a.m. and it wasn't on our floor, so I think it was pool noise, not sure.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the swimming pool area.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed on a Thursday night, and checked on the rate at this hotel, expecting it to be more than we could pay, and it was c. $20 lower than the Hampton Inn. We have enjoyed Embassy Suites, the manager's specials, the bountiful breakfast, etc. in the past, but this was one of the best bargains we have found yet.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I'll start by saying that my family and I have stayed at this Embassy Suites on more occasions than we can count over the last decade and a half -- we even had our wedding reception there and put up many wedding guests there back in 1998. So we have a long history with this property. I'm also a Hilton Honors Silver member, by the way, so we stay at a lot of Hilton properties each year.

And what a disappointment our last visit was. We book this specific hotel when we visit inlaws and we choose it based on a couple of things: value, room size, free breakfast, free happy hour, and spacious indoor pool (we have three energetic kids who sleep like babies after an hour or so of pre-bed splashing around).

We made our reservations around Thanksgiving (online and followed up with a phone call) and received our confirmation via email just as we usually do. When we arrived after a ten-hour drive, we found the pool was closed for "resurfacing" and would be closed for another week.

Why hadn't we been notified that a major part of the hotel was undergoing repair? "It's on our website," barked the less-than-cordial front desk attendant. Why in the middle of a holiday? She looked at us blankly. What kind of discount can we get for a less-than-advertised stay? Again, a blank look. What would the hotel do for our inconvenience? Again, nothing but crickets.

I am surprised, given our past business at that particular property (which they've never acknowledged over the years) and our HH status that we couldn't have at least received an email or a phone call when they knew they'd scheduled the pool closing. I looked and it is on their website, but was not when my wife made the reservation (or she wouldn't have made it there). Should I be expected to check their website everyday to be alerted to changes in the hotel's status? I think not.

We ended up moving, quickly, to a Drury Inn and Suites which is a few miles away. When we told them our story, they slashed their rates for our trouble and the pool was wide open.

Over the years, we've noticed the quality of this hotel dropping precipitously -- from extraordinarily long lines at breakfast, to infrequent restocking of food items, to snotty desk staff. I think, given our very positive experience over at the Drury Inn and Suites (even if it's a little less posh and their services are scaled back a little), we'll make that our new temporary home in Greenville from now on.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank ButchKin
Apopka, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This hotel is the best deal around - Large suites, cooked-to-order breakfast, complimentary cocktail hour, nicely equipped gym, and a courteous staff. My husband and I stay for a week at a time when we visit family - always a great experience.

Room Tip: The high floors are very warm in the winter - we needed a humidifier and never turned on the heat in...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Mauldin, SC
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We've stayed at this hotel numerous times and it is always a pleasure. The hotel is located on a golf course and the grounds are beautiful. There is a large atrium inside the hotel with koi ponds and glass elevators, and the rooms are all large suites (not the "semi-suites" you often see at other hotels - these actually have two separate rooms). The living rooms have hide-a-beds for extra travelers and there are large flat screen TVs in both rooms. The onsite restaurant is reasonably priced and the buffet breakfast is fabulous.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Limozine
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 December 2011

First, I'll start by saying that I do not recall ever staying at an embassy suites prior to this business trip that my husband had to attend.  Secondly, please understand before I write this review that I'm a diva, therefore I'm extremely critical.

I will begin with the room- sadly, this establishment is very much frowned upon.  It is beyond outdated.  The rooms are spacious - ok that part is true - but the carpet and the furniture make for an extremely toxic, nauseating combination.  The decor is so old, dark and obsolete it is impossible to tell if it's clean or just very shabby.

The bathroom was depressing. It was so tiny. The hollow paneled door of ugliness didn't help matters. The bedroom offered plenty of space and a bed that was very old and very lumpy. Ouch!!!

I did call the front desk to ask if I could upgrade the room and was comically told "there are no upgrades." Oh and even as outdated as it is, they do offer wi-fi - it isn't free though, for $9.95 you can pay to join their slow [--] network for 24 hours.

The lobby tries to offer some ambiance. I felt like I was in a giant bee hive as all the rooms are directly available by accessing the elevators here. They have a koi pond, with a few sections of splashy, flowing water but nothing spectacular. The silk/plastic plants they use to decorate the whole area, manage to maintain enough dust to choke a small cow. Replace that junk with real plants please!

They do offer a continental breakfast that seemed to please everyone. It offered a bit more than your standard breakfast items, which was good if "free food" impresses you. During it however, the staff proceeded to set up a Christmas scene right in the middle of the eating area which was kind of annoying. Apparently they were having a brunch that day that included Santa.

As I end this review I'll add this - I noticed there was a golf course directly on the property as their name states, so maybe that is the main focus for the property.  Another point- I didn't see any other places to stay in the immediate area.

Maybe I'm too harsh, but if you stay here, may the force be with you.

• Stayed December 2011