“A True Diamond”

Ranked #11 of 1,008 Restaurants in Greenville
Price range: US$20 - US$55
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Court St.
Description: Soby's New South Cuisine is a blend of contemporary cuisine infused with traditional southern ingredients. The restaurant opened in 1997 and is housed in the warm environment of a renovated, century-old building and has a mezzanine level that can accommodate large parties ordering a la carte. Starting with fresh, seasonal ingredients, our chefs transform Southern favorites into something comfortable and fresh. The wine list is a consistent winner of Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast awards. Signature dishes include Barbecue Shrimp and Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, and Crab Cakes Remoulade.
Reviewed December 18, 2016 via mobile

We visit Greenville often but for one reason or another we have never eaten there. My wife and I are in town for a few days and we're searching for our dinner spot. She walked into he restaurant to see how late they were open and came out exclaiming, " we are eating here tonight, you have to see the inside."
We came back later and after a short wait were seated upstairs. The place was jumping with business and that's always a good sign. As we were walking to the table we walked along a balcony which overlooked the kitchen. I was blown away by the wooden floors and the large hand hewn wood beams and that open kitchen lol. I prayed the food would be good.
Our server was very prompt and very knowledgeable with the menu and his abilities to make sure our evening was spectacular. My wife ordered the trout and I ordered the shrimp and grits. The trout had a fennel emulsion around the plate which my very picky wife loved , though the trout had a little more black pepper than she was accustomed to she ate it all.
My meal was to die for , the right amount of spice and to be very honest I lost count as to how many shrimp were in my bowl. The bed of grits everything was on was perfect in every way as well. For dessert we shared a flourless milk chocolate dome and it was the perfect end to the evening.
This will definitely be on our list of places to celebrate me back to and we are already planning an after Christmas get together there. .

1  Thank Jedeye M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed December 18, 2016

Soby's is one of our favorite downtown restaurants. We love that they have valet parking.
It was a busy Saturday night, but I made a reservation so we were seated within minutes of arriving. I had their shrimp and grits. They change up the way they prepare them. This fall version is by far the best I've had there. It had just enough spice and had plenty of shrimp. I hope they permanently keep this version on the menu. I also had their Brussels sprouts, which were perfectly roasted and drizzled with honey. We ate inside, but they've added a heated tent on their patio for additional seating.

1  Thank Wanda S
Reviewed December 12, 2016 via mobile

Nice restaurant, very relaxing environment. I had the shrimp and grits, it was good. The waiter made us feel right at home. You should try the key lime pie. It's homemade and delicious. Soby's is right across from the Peace Center, we had a very nice meal and topped it off with The Nutcracker.

1  Thank Cathy B
Reviewed December 7, 2016 via mobile

Enjoyed a delightful dinner at Soby's while visiting Greenville with family. I had the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. One bite and it was immediately clear why it's a Soby's Favorite! It was mouthwatering good. Others in my group enjoyed the venison and pork chop. Food and service were simply superb start to finish. And all of the dishes were generously portioned. Exposed brick, fireplace, plushly upholstered booths, and high ceilings add to the ambiance and buzzy atmosphere. If I lived in Greenville, I'd be back in a heartbeat!

1  Thank Kim L
Reviewed December 5, 2016

We stopped for dinner, and could not have been more pleased with the food, service, and atmosphere. Group of 4 of us started with splitting the She Crab Soup and Pimento Cheese Appetizer. For entree we had 2 of the Braised Short Rib, Crab Cake, and Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. Only 1 dessert, the apple creme brulee. We were told the other desserts are fantastic. Everything was outstanding. Crab Cakes were loaded with Crab, we were told the Short Ribs were cooked for 12 hours, so the meat fell off the bone. Our waiter, Donnie R was also exceptional, very friendly, good sense of humor, and gave us great recommendations. We would highly recommend coming to Soby's if you are in Greenville, and we will come again next time we visit.

Been to Soby's? Share your experiences!