“Disappointing!”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shelmore
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Carter's Kitchen with a group of friends and found the dining experience very questionable. The restaurant was very busy as well as the bar area! We were glamor end by Chef Carter of all the accolades he has either done or achieved. Portions were small and seemed to wait along time to be served. Instead of glad-handing patrons maybe the Chef should be in the kitchen cooking. Have eaten in this establishment numerous times and will probably move a return visit to the bottom of the list. Ordered salmon as an entree and could barely find it on the dish! Friends also complained about choices!

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

First time here. Not locals but we come to charleston a lot. Used to have other favorites but this is our new fave. Jerry was our waiter. Recommended great food and entertained our young boys. Very upscale but casual dress is ok and family friendly. Manager was by our table often and Jerry made sure things were good. Great drinks and awesome food. Flounder was amazing and the grits are the best ever. We will be back soon! Thanks Jerry (my son was Reid that was amazed you "guessed" his name) you made our evening great with your service.

1  Thank Legmaker78
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Legmaker78, Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm very pleased that you and your family had a great experience. Jerry does a wonderful job taking care of our guests and it's always a pleasure to have the opportunity to make someone's evening. We hope to see you again soon. Paul

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am a local and this could be classified as one of my neighborhood places. It is nice inside and the service is fine except I had to ask for water 3 times and we were the only ones in there at the time. But I think the food is very disappointing. I have been for dinner, brunch and drinks and appetizers many times. Everything is fairly adequate and quite average. Hard to imagine that Chef Carter is in charge of this kitchen. The little appetizers are a total waste of time and let me warn you totally off of the fish skewers they serve at happy hour. They are awful. The last time they were undercooked and tasted "off." As in make your stomach churn, bad. I did mention this but nothing was said or done. This is the second restaurant at this location and the first one was no better. I think it is the same owner and management and therein lies the problem. This is a very disappointing restaurant and not worth whatever sum you spend. Find another place.

Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Scgardengnome. Thank you for your insightful comments. I will review your comments and concerns with the service and culinary staffs. We strive daily to provide excellent service and memorable food to all our guests. I hope you will return soon and give us the opportunity to showcase our culinary and service excellence. Thank you once again. Paul

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Shrimp and grits was dismal. Biscuits delicious! Service was terrible. Many on the waitstaff are friendly and helpful. Others are not. Management is quite poor.

1  Thank Ann20008
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Once I discovered Carter’s Kitchen I have found myself returning at least twice a month. The food is always creative, the atmosphere very comfortable and the staff exceptional. Everyone I have introduced to this gem has walked away with the same reaction!

The She Crab Soup is probably the best I’ve ever had; delicious and the perfect consistency. Do not miss the popcorn… people usually look at me strange when I tell them that, but the stuff is amazing… almost an aphrodisiac!

The hostess, wait staff, and the bar staff are always exceptionally friendly and helpful. The executive chef, Christian, is always more than happy to come to your table and describe the dishes and his techniques. When I first started patronizing Carter’s Kitchen the manager at the time was very social and warmly greeted all customers. Unfortunately, the new manager seems to greet and be very friendly with only the known regulars and seems to ignore anyone else. A minor inconvenience given all the other positives of the establishment.

1  Thank 3Neurons
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear 3Neurons.
If I overlooked your dining experience on this particular occasion I apologize. I try to touch every table during our dinner service. I will make it a point to talk with you during your next visit. Please let me know when you will be joining us and I will be more than happy to stop by and chat. I'm very happy you enjoyed your experience and I look forward to meeting you. Paul