“A Wine Bar scene with very expensive food - disapointingly poor”
Review of Carter's Kitchen - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shelmore
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We are fans of The Peninsula Grill (IN Charleston), so we were intrigued & delighted to hear about Robert Carter's new venture (especially as it is on our side of town in IoP) and went to try it out and sample his cuisine.

"Apparently he's not there that often, visits occasionally and teaches mostly" or so we were informed. Big deal - not really, just disappointing, as was the experience.

Noisy bar scene, tables very close together, OK food (1 x Sea Bass & 1 x Salmon), modest portions, sloppy service and a fairly cavalier manner, AND an expensive Bill. In our opinion very bad combination, and we have not been back.

A glass of Veuve at $16 is ridiculous - I know there is a huge mark-up, but 300% is greedy (see above).

Reviewed December 26, 2013

On our first trip to Charleston, we were nervous that we would have trouble finding a nice restaurant for Christmas Eve. We found Carter's Kitchen using Open Table and liked the description. My husband and I both agreed our meals were cooked and presented with great pride and skill. I tried the sea bass special with spinach and grits with goat cheese - fantastic. The presentation itself was a feast for the eyes. So much so, it influenced the diners next to us to order the same. My husband had the friend flounder and shrimp and found them to be very tender and tasty. We were too full for dessert but HAD to take a piece of their coconut cake to go. I want to also mention our server, Meg. She was a delight ... attentive without being overbearing. Thank you for a Christmas Eve we will remember. I hope to return again.

1  Thank MullisDen
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I've been here several times and has been excellent every visit. Executive Chef Christian Watson always has something new and exciting to try. I've grown up in charleston and no stranger to seafood and they have the best fried flounder in town...I'd put the house on it. If you are staying downtown or anywhere in charleston it's well worth the drive over the bridge to try it out.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Carter's Kitchen with a group of friends and found the dining experience very questionable. The restaurant was very busy as well as the bar area! We were glamor end by Chef Carter of all the accolades he has either done or achieved. Portions were small and seemed to wait along time to be served. Instead of glad-handing patrons maybe the Chef should be in the kitchen cooking. Have eaten in this establishment numerous times and will probably move a return visit to the bottom of the list. Ordered salmon as an entree and could barely find it on the dish! Friends also complained about choices!

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

First time here. Not locals but we come to charleston a lot. Used to have other favorites but this is our new fave. Jerry was our waiter. Recommended great food and entertained our young boys. Very upscale but casual dress is ok and family friendly. Manager was by our table often and Jerry made sure things were good. Great drinks and awesome food. Flounder was amazing and the grits are the best ever. We will be back soon! Thanks Jerry (my son was Reid that was amazed you "guessed" his name) you made our evening great with your service.

1  Thank Legmaker78
Paul T, General Manager at Carter's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Legmaker78, Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm very pleased that you and your family had a great experience. Jerry does a wonderful job taking care of our guests and it's always a pleasure to have the opportunity to make someone's evening. We hope to see you again soon. Paul