“Excellent Sushi”
Review of Kanpai

Ranked #114 of 351 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

Stopped there to eat yesterday after another sushi place named "Locals" was so packed full of customers I didn't even try to go in.

Kanpai was nearly deserted. It was early, only a few minutes after five, so I took a seat at the sushi bar. The waitress came over soon thereafter with a menu and I ordered a drink, a salad and a couple of rolls. Well, my salad came shortly thereafter, and I was waiting for some one to start preparing the rolls. I was still the only customer in the place.

Well, a few minutes later, the chef started working and I soon had my rolls. Both the tuna roll and the tempura shrimp roll were excellent.

They don't serve alcohol there. The place is BYOB and I think there is a corkage fee, so that might explain why the bar that sells sushi was packed and Kanpai was empty. Nevertheless I enjoyed my meal in the solitude of nearly private dining.

Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

Tucked in a small Plaza, if you do not pass it, you must stop in and try the pork belly bun. It is BYOB so bring your favorite beverage.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

My husband and I go here at least once a month. When I go for sushi, I only care about the freshness and quality. This place is not well decorated, the service is average, the location is in a strip mall, it takes a long time to get your order but when you finally eat it - you will realize it is the best sushi you have ever eaten in Charleston! My personal favorites - duck confeit bun for an appetizer and tuna blossom and salmon lemon sushi rolls. If you are a high maintenance person, this is probably not your scene. Right now it is byob which is awesome for us but some may not like it. We love taking a bottle of wine from our wine cabinet and heading here for a slow dinner. Delicious!!!

Reviewed 17 October 2016

I just came back from Little Tokyo in L.A.
The best sushi is found in shops just like Kanpai. Very understated outside, fresh and inviting inside. Nice greeting all three employees, including the chef. Maybe they learned it from the retail stores that demand employees to say it, but these people were looking at us and smiling. "Come in, sit anywhere you like".

We had noticed a hand written sign on the door stating they were now (at least for now) a BYOB. Hey, that's right up my alley. Turn around, hit Whole Foods for some Sapporo's and we are back.

Smiley blonde waitress got a 30% tip because she was pleasant, fun, knew the menu and never took her eyes off us.

Everything we had was great, especially for Charleston. I know L.A. & NYC japanese. I also know that ramen & sushi are hard to come by in the same spot at those places as they usually do one or the other. So I tested it.

The Chefs Noodle Bowl was very nice, not Japan Town, but I didn't expect that. The seafood in it was fabulous, they broth maybe just a little too thin for me, but I have high expectations.

The steamed buns. Be careful here. Got Duck Confit & Pork Belly. Both very good, but they can fill you up.

The deluxe sashimi sampler is perfect for a couple to share. Next time I will write down what fish is in order so I can order a roll from Chef Sean with that fish specifically. There were two I really liked and the shrimp was super fresh, but tis' the season for that. Keep that in mind. If you know what fish is Really being reeled in today, get it.

I'll be back with a nice crisp bottle of white wine and an eye for specific fish.

Save $$$$
Get Great Food
Be a Rock Star host

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

Sushi is probably the most highly executed of anything we've had in recent memory in Charleston. Top notch. Portions are accurate and the attention to detail is there. Rice is on point. Just some notes. They no longer sell alcohol,but it is BYOB. Just plan ahead. We did not, so we opted for take out when we arrived. Also they do not take Amex if this a concern. Also the ramen was not available even though it was on the menu. We were told the Chef wasn't making it this time of year. Maybe call ahead if this is what you are going for. Not sure why it's on the menu then. Still. The sushi and the rolls are excellent. My new favorite for quality sushi in Mt. Pleasant. Just have to work through some bugs during these changes I suppose.