“Patriots Point”

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The history of Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum began in June 1975 when the legendary aircraft carrier USS Yorktown entered Charleston Harbor. A few months later, the USS Yorktown was dedicated as the first ship of the Naval & Maritime Museum on the 200th birthday of the United States Navy. Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum was officially opened to the public on January 3, 1976. Today the museum consists of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10) with 29 aircraft on display from WWII to the present; the USS Laffey (DD-724), a Sumner-class destroyer; and the USS Clamagore (SS-343), a GUPPY III submarine. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is headquartered here and their official Medal of Honor Museum is onboard the USS Yorktown. There is also a Cold War Sub Memorial and Vietnam Support Base Camp on the surrounding grounds.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My family and I were on a short vacation in Charleston and found out that patriots point was 5 minutes down the road from our hotel. My dad is into all that Yorktown stuff so we checked it out. At $18/person, I thought it was a little pricey but wow it was well worth the money and more.

We checked out USS Laffey, USS Yorktown, and USS Clamagore (which was by far my favorite, being a submarine).

We had an hour and a half to check out all three because we got there a little late but it's all self guided tours so we managed to get around quickly.

Absolutely stunning and breath taking. I couldn't believe how big everything was and the history lessons were well incorporated with plaques everywhere.

Would I return? Yes, I absolutely would.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,443)

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Wonderful experience on the USS Yorktown. This ship is excellent for ages 4 and up. Lots and lots of steep stair climbing, not a good place at all for strollers or wheelchairs. I did not see an elevator. Dress warm in the winter as the only place heated we found was the movie theatre. Kids will not want to miss the plans on the upper deck. I know from past experience it is a good place for birthday parties. This is an excellent opportunity to teach young children on the cost of our freedom!

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I visited this museum it was amazing. The history of the ships & learning about some events that occurred on these ships was very cool.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Well worth the price of admission! My wife and i went here on christmas eve, took us about 3 hours total to get through the carrier, the battleship and submarine, most of the time is the carrier which is HUGE! wow it was awesome going all through the ship(s) so much to see here and explore, so much history and the self guided tour is awesome. I'd recommend this place to anyone. i will give warning, if you have a hard time with steps, stairs, some tight passages, some of the tours might not be for you especially the submarine, which has very tight passage ways.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was my second visit to Patriots Point and it was a first time for my to visit any type of naval craft. We were extremely lucky to visit on December 7th, Pearl Harbour Rememberance Day, where they had a ceremony to recognize our veterans. As much as we both loved being on the USS Yorktown, we both agreed that being able to tour the USS Clagamore submarine and USS Laffey were our favorite parts. Being able to walk through a submarine and imagine living on such a vessel is something everyone should experience as you think about those who are or have lived in one to protect the country. The history of the USS Laffey is wonderful and the new exhibit on the front gun turret is an excellent experience to understand an attack by the enemy.
This is a great exhibit and should be visited by anyone who prizes the freedoms protected by our military forces.