“Run...Far, Far AWAY!”

Ranked #125 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Run...Far, Far AWAY!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family and the family of my best friend checked in to the property on Sunday, April 8, 2012 at approximately 5:30p.m. Once we arrived to our rooms, we were immediately faced with several problems/inconveniences. These initial dilemmas included:
1. Lock on suite door broken.
2. Locks on doors leading to balcony broken.
3. Room keys not working.
4. Bathtub not cleaned and dirty linens in bathroom.
5. 4 bedroom "suite" did not meet the expectations that were explained prior to making reservation. (Set-up/layout).
6. Cable not working
We went to the front desk and addressed our concerns with the night manager, Jordan Starnes. Initially, the only option offered by Jordan to address our concerns was to refund our money to us and for us to find another place to stay. We advised him that we would rather have our problems remedied and to be refunded a portion of the cost of our stay for the inconvenience. He agreed to refund $68.87 (1/2 of the sales tax) and had maintenance and housekeeping come to our rooms to address the issues.
The maintenance technician Rivas came and inspected our rooms to see what repairs needed to be made. He said that he would "jimmy rig" the locks so that our kids (ages 3,5,6,7,9, and 12)could not get onto the balcony. At this point we felt that a manager needed to see the disrepair of the items and asked that Jordan come to the rooms to see the concerns that we had. It took over 2 hours for the concerns to addressed and remedied.
As our stay progressed, we were faced with numerous complications that made our stay at Palmetto Shores less than relaxed / suitable. The issues include, but aren’t limited to:
1. The wireless internet that I was told could be accessed from the lobby was not working properly. The wireless internet access was one of the amenities that I specifically inquired about prior to making my reservation. I am a full time student and knew that I would need to access the internet to complete and submit assignments during our stay. In addition to the inconvenience, my academic status was compromised because of this. Each time I went to the front desk about this issue, I was given a different and inaccurate response about why I could not access the internet. One evening I had to go to another hotel to use their wireless internet and submit an assignment.
2. The game room was closed.
3. Housekeeping came extremely late in the day, if at all. They exchanged linens upon request but did not make beds during our entire stay, although asked twice on the third day. When we asked that they vacuum we were told they did not have a vacuum cleaner and they swept a portion of one of the floors with a broom and swept the debris onto the balcony. Our bathrooms were unattended the entire stay as well.
4. The heaters in rooms made extremely loud noise. We were awaken throughout the night thinking that the noise was gunshots. We were forced to choose between being cold throughout the night or the inability to sleep because of the noise.
5. Our room keys had to be reprogrammed several times throughout our stay.
6. The elevator would not stop on the 5th floor the entire stay. In addition to the 6 small children traveling with us, I am 5 ½ months pregnant and had to take the elevator to the 6th floor and take stairs to the 5th floor with luggage and other items.
7. Upon check in we asked that the balance be split onto two cards. The balance that was supposed to be split onto two separate cards was all charged to one card as two separate transactions.
Whenever we called the front desk about an issue or made an inquiry they treated us as if we were bothering them or should just deal with the problems. The day before we finally checked out, we again went to the front desk and talked to the night manager, Jordan. He disregarded our concerns at which point I asked for the general managers name and contact info. I sent the GM a letter via email upon my return home to Ohio, he has yet to call us or reply to the email but had Jordan call my husband. At this point I am actually considering disputing the charges with my bank to get my money back. I will never return to this property again. They couldn't pay me to stay there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne W
Amy R, Administrative Assistant at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for your time and your valuable feedback in regards to your recent stay at our Palmetto Shores resort. We strive to provide clean, comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful guest services at an affordable price. I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I hope that you will reconsider and come back to stay with us again. We will work diligently to make sure that your stay is a pleasant one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
New York
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Thank you Palmetto Shores for a wonderful stay last week. I stayed with you last year and also had a lovely time, but my experience this year was wonderful and I will indeed be back. First, for everyone making complaints about the facilities I would encourage you to invesitgate North Myrtle Beach and move further away from the Spring Break College Crowd. I reserved over the phone and asked for a mid to upper level room and received a 5th floor room (thank you). We also reserved the rise and shine rate. The Patio restaurant across the street is a great perk. We fueled up daily with a healthy, fresh breakfast. The check in was smooth, quick and efficient this year. (Thanks Tyler!) We received our breakfast coupons and keys within 5 minutes and were on our way to our room. The room was clean and well stocked with towels. Our only request on day 2 was a blanket for each of the beds which housekeeping sent up within 10 minutes. Our room was cleaned daily. Towels were replensihed daily. (a marked improvement from last year). The pools/hot tubs were all clean. Maintenance drained one pool on day one due to some broken glass left there over night, but there were no lack of lounge chairs and pools to choose from. The elevators were all in working order and the stairs were well let and clean. We checkout and the front desk was welcoming enough to stow our bags until later that evening since we had late flights. We were able to access all faciliies including a shower for the remainder of the day maximizingthe last hours of our holiday. (Thanks Jen) The Palmetto Shores is an affordable and pleasant place to spend a week. I will definitely return. Thanks again!

Room Tip: I loved our 5th floor room. Was perfect.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at our Palmetto Shores resort. We are glad to hear that you have visited our resort on more than one occasion and that you enjoyed your stay each time. We are glad to offer the Rise and Shine special to our clients so each one can enjoy the breakfast buffet at our restaurant, the Patio. They have really good food and awesome service! Thank you again for your kind words and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know what a wonderful job you think we are doing. We hope that you will come back and visit us again soon!
rochester, new york
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night before checking in to our hotel the long bay resort (which is an awesome place)..I was appalled at this place it smelled so bad like urine and vomit we had to plug our nose! The walls are so thin you feel like the people are actually in your room. The room next door was full of teenagers screaming and yelling! I called down to the office and they acted like I was bothering them...After that a fight broke out in the room next door and it sounded like someone went threw the wall!! I could not get out of that place fast enough! Do your self a favor and don't stay here! It is dirty,smelly,old and just nasty!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank curtapryl
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Palmetto Shores resort. It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We try to make sure that each guest has a pleasurable experience while vacationing. We take pride in our rooms and appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention. We hope that you will change your mind and come back and stay with us again so that we may better serve you.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Fuquay-varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Despite a good rate the hotel experience was terrible. First, after checking in we were directed to concerairge desk. This was nothing more than a sa;es pitch for a timeshare and a waste of my time. Next, the room was in desperate need of repair and attention. The ceiling was peeling off and appeared to have chunks falling down. The floors were dirty and the 2 small pieces of soap initially provided were all we ever had. Housekeeping showed up around 4:30 in the afternoon. A coffee maker was provided but no coffee, creamer, sugar, or even coffee cups so we had to go to the restaurant across the street for morning coffee. Our room safe never worked and was, to our knowledge, ever even looked at even though we made several requests for assistance. Our TV went on the blink and was replaced while we were out for the evening however the maintenanace person left our door wide open. Fortunately, nothing was stolen but we could have been wiped out. There was no wifi in the room and we were told to try ot access another hotel. Needless to say, no internet in the rooms was available...only in the lobby. The website for this property looks great but it is not as it appears. Beware.

Room Tip: Find another place altogether.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelforfunfromNC
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your concerns during your recent trip to our Palmetto Shores resort. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. One of our greatest priorities is to make sure that our rooms are in good condition and are clean and comfortable. We apologize if we fell short of these expectations. We hope that you will come back and visit us again and allow us the opportunity to better serve you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Hello My family and friends booked a stay with the Manger Chris Gerald, and it went very smooth. He was courteous, helpful, and took great care of us. The kids had a blast, and we all enjoyed the patio cafe buffet. We are already coming back in May, and also have confirmed next year for spring break. I recommend the Palmetto Shores of Myrtle Beach to every family.

thanks,
fabulous725@hotmail.com

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for being a guest at our resort and for taking the time to recommend us to future guests on TripAdvisor. We are extremely grateful for your kind words. We take pride in our guest services department, as they are the first voices you hear on the phone and the first faces you see when you come into our resorts. I am glad that Chris met all of your needs during your time of check-in, as he is a great manager. We are looking forward to having you visit us again this month and for your continued relationship with us. Thanks again!
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I booked online. My trip started with check in...my room wasn't ready and I had to sit and wait for 2 hours past check in time before getting a room. I paid online for a room with a FULL NORMAL size fridge and a story e with oven and wifi. What I got was a room with a dorm size fridge that the subpar freezer was caked in ice and wasn't usable. The story stove had only one working burner and there was no oven. The wifi was not in my building (my phone sd it & it was confirmed by front desk). I reported on my first night that the bathroom door knob was broken and that my daughter kept getting locked in the bathroom because of it, 3 days later I had to call maintenance because the toilet was over flowing. When I called the front desk the man that answered told me rudly that I would just have to wait because maintenance was at lunch yet I had poo running in my bathroom floor. When maintenance arrived he looked to see if the door had been reported and it had not.
I will never stay there again and I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Marianne Wellman
mwellman1974@charter.net

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for your time and your valuable feedback on your recent stay at our Palmetto Shores resort. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us. We strive to provide great customer service to all of our guests. I am sorry if we fell short of your expectations. We hope that you will change your mind and come and stay with us again in order to allow us the opportunity to better serve you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel and staff was great.Our rooms were clean and neat. My family could not have gotten a better price for an oceanfront stay.Patios accross the blvd. Had awesome drink specials and good food. Location was perfect for my kids to blvd.beach and pool. We are definitely coming back asap!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at our Palmetto Shores resort. We work diligently to make sure that we provide quality customer service and comfortable, clean rooms at an affordable price. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with your efficiency and our convenient location. We are also glad that you enjoyed our restaurant, the Patio. They do have awesome food and some great happy hour specials. We are looking forward to having your family stay with us again soon. I hope that your next trip will be even better than before!