See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We booked our rooms 2 months in advance. After reading reviews we were nervous about staying here and contemplated changing our reservations. I'm glad we didn't. The rooms are small and the balcony is smaller, but the service was great. The maids came by every day and we only asked them to change towels, garbage and clean the bathroom. We made our own beds and cleaned the kitchen by our own choice. The lobby staff were very friendly. The pools were great. The hotel is located in a great location for walking the strip at night. It was Mustang week, so we enjoyed that also. We go to the beach FOR THE BEACH! For the money, I think this hotel was a great choice. Not fancy, but clean and safe.

1  Thank familyfunKnoxville
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Ok, ok, our "ocean view" room was smaller than expected, buildings probably need a proper remodeling, BUT, this place is right on the beach and walking distance from downtown, which is great. If you want "fancy", just go the the Atlantic for +$250/night,..... we slept for less than $100, and enjoyed the beach & town fully. Planning to go back again next year.. just couple of items to note, make sure you book an "ocean facing" room, most rooms have a view of the ocean, not all are facing towards the beach...and yes, parking is across the road, and can be a pain, but so what, so are most hotels on Ocean drive..(except the most expensive, of course)....Bottom line, you can do much worse, enjoy !!

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I booked our stay with Palmetto Shores through their own website during their "Summer on Sale" promotion in May 2010. At the time of my booking, there was only one review here on Trip Advisor, but since the hotel was newly renovated I felt comfortable in planning to stay there. Also, the deal I was able to get for the four nights of our stay was better than anything else I had found in Myrtle Beach ($89 a night). Anyone that seriously expects a luxury 4 star resort for $89 a night during high season at a major beach location is either an inexperienced traveler or a fool. Palmetto Shores Hotel was formerly the Poindexter Hotel. If you look it up by its former name, you can still find reviews online which indicate that the buildings are quite old and the Poindexter was a budget hotel. Also, if you go onto Google or Bing maps and look at the location under "street view", you can see the building exteriors, which should give you some idea that this is not the fanciest of hotels. I did my research BEFORE my trip and had a pretty good idea of what I was going to find when I arrived.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 7pm on the day of our check-in. The woman before me in line to check-in noticed that the price they were going to charge her was significantly higher than the price she was quoted when she made her reservation (something that appears to be common via other reviews here), so I was on high alert as I checked in. The desk attendant gave me a contact to sign with a price that was about $100 more than what I was given when I made my reservation through the hotel's website back in May. I had brought along all of my paperwork, which showed the price I was given. He had another employee work with us at that point to figure things out. This person tried to give me a hard time saying that outside websites often give the wrong price (which simply isn't and shouldn't be true) to those making a reservation and when I reminded him that I booked my room through their website, he was quick to change the price for me. Note to fellow travelers: print and bring all of your paperwork with you when checking in. He also informed us of the $50 (with credit card) damages charge, which never actually went onto our credit card. It isn't typical hotel protocol to have this type of charge actually go through unless there is damage when you check out of the hotel, even though some reviewers here have claimed they were charged before checking out. We were not. With the price adjusted, he gave us the keys to our room (1014, top floor), which was in the same building as the front desk (Coral, I think).

The room was adequate. We had two queen beds and a full kitchenette that was well appointed with toaster, stove, microwave, fridge/freezer, cups, bowls, plates, silverware, pots, pans, etc. The room had a balcony that faced north (Atlantica Hotel) and had an ocean view if you looked to your right while outside. Unfortunately there was a seagull nesting out on the balcony that was present at all times of the day, so to keep from avoiding the expectant mother, we did not use the balcony. In general, the room was clean, but not fancy. The kitchen had everything we needed. We did not use the oven/stovetop so I cannot comment on whether or not it worked, but it did look quite old. The bathroom had a bathtub and a toilet. The fan in the bathroom was obnoxiously loud, but wasn’t something that we used often enough to be bothered by it. The sink was outside of the bathroom with a small amount of countertop and a hairdryer. We also had a closet area that had an iron and ironing board. The room had a flat screen tv with HBO and various other basic cable/local channels. The beds were comfortable and adequate. Our air conditioning unit worked properly, but was quite loud. Its noise was a benefit to us though since we used it to drown out typical hotel noises (slamming doors, stomping feet, etc) and late night Ocean Blvd noises (revving engines, drunks, etc).

We were of the fortunate few who had the pleasure of experiencing the 1:30am fire alarm during our stay, which has made for a great travel story. Someone overcooked popcorn in their microwave on the 8th floor and security woke us up with a bang on the door before setting off the fire alarm on our floor. Really the only problem with this whole experience was the way security alerted us of the fire and the need to evacuate the hotel. Banging on doors was probably not the best way to let people know because we just assumed someone was fooling around in the hallways until the fire alarm was activated. Otherwise, we took the stairs down to the parking lot, sat around outside for about 15 minutes and then climbed the stairs back up to our room to go back to sleep – a fairly typical false alarm – and definitely NOT to be blamed on the hotel.

Ocean access at Palmetto Shores was great. It was a short walk down to the beach from each building and the hotel had a couple of outdoor showers for washing sand off of yourself when you come back in. We only utilized the children’s pool, which was great for our 5 year old. The other pools looked small, but nice.

Many reviewers have commented on the parking at the hotel and many people have said that they felt unsafe walking to their cars. I hope that this does not dissuade anyone from staying here because it is simply not true. Yes, parking for the hotel is located across the street in a few marked parking lots, but this is typical for hotels in that area. The hotel provides ample parking spaces for guests and the walk to/from your car is no longer than 100 yards from the hotel entrance. The parking lots are adequately lit at night and although we did return to the hotel in the evening frequently, we never felt uncomfortable nor did we ever see anyone suspicious or scary. We did see the security guard patrolling the area on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but would make sure to tell them to not expect a luxury hotel. This is a bargain hotel that is well appointed and is located a very convenient spot in Myrtle Beach. I would not want to pay more than $130 a night for the rooms here, but otherwise felt that this hotel was a good deal for what we paid. If you’re looking for amenities beyond the basics, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a budget room that is close to the beach and has access to shops and restaurants, you can be sure that Palmetto Shores will serve you well.

3  Thank jehcekah
Reviewed July 23, 2010

After seeing so many negative reviews, I have to give the hotel the benefit. At first I was cautious but curious as to why the $99 special. We had no problems. We checked in on time (3pm) taking probably 5 min. and headed to our room. The only negative comment I can make is the bathroom was tiny. We stayed in the building where the office was. Room was cleaned every day without disturbing us. All the employees were kind and more than willing to help us. Enjoyed the pool and leisure areas each day. At frist, I was skeptic about the view, but enjoyed having an ocean and city view. Restaurant across the street and very close to the boardwalk where many shops and restaurants are. Parking is across the street, but considering we never moved the car once we got there, no problems. We will be returning in another week, staying at a different building and I expect the same service as I got the first time.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I was looking forward to staying at the resort because I had read good reviews. The resort was located on the beach with newly renovated rooms and was priced reasonably...what more could we ask for? Well, we arrived at the resort at 5:30 a.m. on 7/16/10, after a long night at the airport and on the road. It took us over a half hour to get checked in because the clerk was having a difficult time finding a room that was clean and vacant for us. The clerk was nice, but we were not given a map or even informed of the hotel ammenities. We just happened to find things as we walked through the resort! Once we finally got into the room, after 6:00 a.m., I could not believe how tiny it was! Especially considering that the room had bunk beds. It was smaller than any standard hotel room I've ever stayed in! As for the "newly renovated rooms", that was a joke! You could tell they had just done a quick, half a** job so that they could say it was remodeled. The only good thing I could say about it was that it was clean. We decided to get a few hours of sleep before starting our vacation. When we woke up, my boyfriend and I decided to make coffee. Only to find out that they supply a coffee maker, but no coffee or filters. We were told to go to the store to purchase our own! They don't even have packets available for purchase!!! That morning, our little one took a shower and the tub clogged. They did send someone to fix it. The second morning, houskeeping knocked on our door to find out who was staying in the room. We were told to go to the front desk because we weren't even registered! I went to the front desk and was greeted by the front desk manager who was anything but pleasant. She said that there had been a mistake and acted like I was an inconvenience to her by coming to the desk. I told her about our issues at checkin, and even asked if we could have the first night discounted since we didnt really check in until 6 a.m. the next day and they were charging us for the whole night before. I realize that checkin wasnt until 3 p.m., but after being a hotel manager for several years, I also know that our resort would allow for early checkin if the room was ready and vacant. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE...which is something this hotel knows nothing about!!! I could tell she really wasn't listening and could care less about what I had to say, so I finally gave up. The third morning, housekeeping woke us up again, wanting to clean our room. I kindly asked the housekeeper to come back in a half an hour since we just woke up. The housekeeper just rolled her eyes at me and walked off. After that I stepped out onto the balcony while waiting for my turn in the shower. I overheard one of the housekeeping managers cussing out on of their employees! I couldn't believe her behavior right out in guest view! That evening, we returned to the hotel only to find out that our room still hadn't been cleaned. They took the "Service Please" sign out of the door, but didn't do anything else. I called the front desk for towels and told them about the room not being cleaned. No apology....instead I had to wait over an hour for the towels. I know you are probably wondering why we didn't just check out and move, but because it was such a short vacation, we didn't want to waste any more time looking for another place to stay. Just don't make the mistake we did and stay here in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!