“Good for the money”

Palmetto Shores Oceanfront
Ranked #128 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I stayed here for 3 days. I had read the reviews before staying. OK, the staff was great. Made my reservations on the phone with Kim, she explained everything in detail. Called back a few times to ask if there was a hairdryer, and ironing boards in the room. She informed me there were. Front desk was Jameson he was very nice.I was checked in in a short time.Rooms are a little small, When we asked for extra towles they were brought up to us.Housekeeping was great. Parking is across the street but there were several lots. For the most part we stayed here for the beach and it was what was said right outside from the hotel. The place is abit on the run down side but it is a old hotel. The toilet clogged that evening, but I called downstairs and Bill the maintanence worker came right up and fixed the issue. Every employee said Hello and were very friendly. I asked to speak to the manager that evening and Scott was walking the gounds, when he returned I explained how pleased I was to stay here. There is also security at night. If you want a 5 star hotel pay the high price for Myrtle Beach. If you want average then stay here. People this place is not that bad and hard to get booked, so if it is always full then it can't be that bad.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We had little problem finding the hotel, but the stay was comfortable. The room smelled a little funky the first day as there is a kitchen in the room. The smell settled down the next day. Kids had lot of fun with the outdoor and indoor pools. Also proximity to the beach makes stay convinient. We had to park across the street, but once we parked the car we didn't have to use the car until we left. Overall best value for the money I paid.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

I had read several reviews and most of them were true...
1. The outside of the building and the interior hallways are pretty run down. that wasn't a huge deal for me... as long as the rooms were clean...
2. parking was horrible... we had to park pretty far away from the hotel...in a parking lot for an abandoned building... they do not have enough parking and they are not very helpful when you inquire about it.
3. we had a dirty comforter... I had to call twice before someone came with a new one. Then we pulled out the sleeper sofa and the sheets were nasty... I called twice and no one ever came.
4. we went with 2 other families... they both had issues with things in their room: toilet, fridge, etc...they also complained about the noise level... I had read about the noise level in other reviews also... noise wasn't an issue for us b/c we had a sound machine with us to drown it out...
5. I will say that the rooms were clean...and the housekeepers were friendly... the rooms are very small though and it's by no means "The Hilton"

Reviewed 26 July 2010

Best hotel ever. Rooms were clean, and smelled fresh. So clean you could walk on the floor without shoes. Beautiful bright clean fresh room. The staff were very friendly, very helpful. Room service less than 10 minutes. Free breakfast. Menu, eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, gravy biscuits, omlets, waffels made to order. Beautiful view from room. clean lobby, free parking. Best value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank THERESA301
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We booked our rooms 2 months in advance. After reading reviews we were nervous about staying here and contemplated changing our reservations. I'm glad we didn't. The rooms are small and the balcony is smaller, but the service was great. The maids came by every day and we only asked them to change towels, garbage and clean the bathroom. We made our own beds and cleaned the kitchen by our own choice. The lobby staff were very friendly. The pools were great. The hotel is located in a great location for walking the strip at night. It was Mustang week, so we enjoyed that also. We go to the beach FOR THE BEACH! For the money, I think this hotel was a great choice. Not fancy, but clean and safe.

1  Thank familyfunKnoxville
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Ok, ok, our "ocean view" room was smaller than expected, buildings probably need a proper remodeling, BUT, this place is right on the beach and walking distance from downtown, which is great. If you want "fancy", just go the the Atlantic for +$250/night,..... we slept for less than $100, and enjoyed the beach & town fully. Planning to go back again next year.. just couple of items to note, make sure you book an "ocean facing" room, most rooms have a view of the ocean, not all are facing towards the beach...and yes, parking is across the road, and can be a pain, but so what, so are most hotels on Ocean drive..(except the most expensive, of course)....Bottom line, you can do much worse, enjoy !!

Reviewed 23 July 2010

I booked our stay with Palmetto Shores through their own website during their "Summer on Sale" promotion in May 2010. At the time of my booking, there was only one review here on Trip Advisor, but since the hotel was newly renovated I felt comfortable in planning to stay there. Also, the deal I was able to get for the four nights of our stay was better than anything else I had found in Myrtle Beach ($89 a night). Anyone that seriously expects a luxury 4 star resort for $89 a night during high season at a major beach location is either an inexperienced traveler or a fool. Palmetto Shores Hotel was formerly the Poindexter Hotel. If you look it up by its former name, you can still find reviews online which indicate that the buildings are quite old and the Poindexter was a budget hotel. Also, if you go onto Google or Bing maps and look at the location under "street view", you can see the building exteriors, which should give you some idea that this is not the fanciest of hotels. I did my research BEFORE my trip and had a pretty good idea of what I was going to find when I arrived.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 7pm on the day of our check-in. The woman before me in line to check-in noticed that the price they were going to charge her was significantly higher than the price she was quoted when she made her reservation (something that appears to be common via other reviews here), so I was on high alert as I checked in. The desk attendant gave me a contact to sign with a price that was about $100 more than what I was given when I made my reservation through the hotel's website back in May. I had brought along all of my paperwork, which showed the price I was given. He had another employee work with us at that point to figure things out. This person tried to give me a hard time saying that outside websites often give the wrong price (which simply isn't and shouldn't be true) to those making a reservation and when I reminded him that I booked my room through their website, he was quick to change the price for me. Note to fellow travelers: print and bring all of your paperwork with you when checking in. He also informed us of the $50 (with credit card) damages charge, which never actually went onto our credit card. It isn't typical hotel protocol to have this type of charge actually go through unless there is damage when you check out of the hotel, even though some reviewers here have claimed they were charged before checking out. We were not. With the price adjusted, he gave us the keys to our room (1014, top floor), which was in the same building as the front desk (Coral, I think).

The room was adequate. We had two queen beds and a full kitchenette that was well appointed with toaster, stove, microwave, fridge/freezer, cups, bowls, plates, silverware, pots, pans, etc. The room had a balcony that faced north (Atlantica Hotel) and had an ocean view if you looked to your right while outside. Unfortunately there was a seagull nesting out on the balcony that was present at all times of the day, so to keep from avoiding the expectant mother, we did not use the balcony. In general, the room was clean, but not fancy. The kitchen had everything we needed. We did not use the oven/stovetop so I cannot comment on whether or not it worked, but it did look quite old. The bathroom had a bathtub and a toilet. The fan in the bathroom was obnoxiously loud, but wasn’t something that we used often enough to be bothered by it. The sink was outside of the bathroom with a small amount of countertop and a hairdryer. We also had a closet area that had an iron and ironing board. The room had a flat screen tv with HBO and various other basic cable/local channels. The beds were comfortable and adequate. Our air conditioning unit worked properly, but was quite loud. Its noise was a benefit to us though since we used it to drown out typical hotel noises (slamming doors, stomping feet, etc) and late night Ocean Blvd noises (revving engines, drunks, etc).

We were of the fortunate few who had the pleasure of experiencing the 1:30am fire alarm during our stay, which has made for a great travel story. Someone overcooked popcorn in their microwave on the 8th floor and security woke us up with a bang on the door before setting off the fire alarm on our floor. Really the only problem with this whole experience was the way security alerted us of the fire and the need to evacuate the hotel. Banging on doors was probably not the best way to let people know because we just assumed someone was fooling around in the hallways until the fire alarm was activated. Otherwise, we took the stairs down to the parking lot, sat around outside for about 15 minutes and then climbed the stairs back up to our room to go back to sleep – a fairly typical false alarm – and definitely NOT to be blamed on the hotel.

Ocean access at Palmetto Shores was great. It was a short walk down to the beach from each building and the hotel had a couple of outdoor showers for washing sand off of yourself when you come back in. We only utilized the children’s pool, which was great for our 5 year old. The other pools looked small, but nice.

Many reviewers have commented on the parking at the hotel and many people have said that they felt unsafe walking to their cars. I hope that this does not dissuade anyone from staying here because it is simply not true. Yes, parking for the hotel is located across the street in a few marked parking lots, but this is typical for hotels in that area. The hotel provides ample parking spaces for guests and the walk to/from your car is no longer than 100 yards from the hotel entrance. The parking lots are adequately lit at night and although we did return to the hotel in the evening frequently, we never felt uncomfortable nor did we ever see anyone suspicious or scary. We did see the security guard patrolling the area on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but would make sure to tell them to not expect a luxury hotel. This is a bargain hotel that is well appointed and is located a very convenient spot in Myrtle Beach. I would not want to pay more than $130 a night for the rooms here, but otherwise felt that this hotel was a good deal for what we paid. If you’re looking for amenities beyond the basics, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a budget room that is close to the beach and has access to shops and restaurants, you can be sure that Palmetto Shores will serve you well.

3  Thank jehcekah