“would stay there again for sure :))”

Palmetto Shores Oceanfront
Ranked #128 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I was very scared to stay here at first thanks to all these negative reviews i debated staying somewhere else but i took a chance. when i got there it was only 2 so we couldn't check in yet. they gave us keys to use the restrooms and swim at the beach. when my room was ready at 3 i was in the waves building 5th floor oceanfront. The rooms was great nice and clean very comfortable beds, everything worked great air conditioning was nice and cold. I personally thought the balconies was a nice normal hotel size. This hotel was close to everything, from shopping to restaurants to the boardwalk. they offered free breakfast every morning at the Patio across the street the breakfast was awesome the staff there was great. also parking was across the street but not a problem at all like other people seem to be complaining about. I always found a parking spot. My one and only complaint to this hotel would be the staff. I think mainly that has to do with palmetto shores recently purchased the two atlantica buildings and now they are short on staff. Alot of the housekeepers barely spoke english so that was a bit of a problem. I am going back to myrtle beach next year and i will stay at this hotel again

Reviewed 16 August 2010

This hotel was FILTHY! We had an "oceanfront" room which meant our window overlooked the ocean (no balcony). We booked online, asking to be put with our friends traveling with us (two rooms close together). When we check in we learn we are in two different buildings (there are 5). We asked for close rooms and are put in 101 and 102 (efficiency with two beds plus fold down bed). We were right next to the elevator, so EVERY time someone came in the door, we were awakened. The staff didn't even tell us the correct building to go to initially and we had to go back and find someone who could tell us which building we were in. I honestly don't know how this hotel has passed health inspection. The cold air return vent for the air system was COVERED in filth, the outside of the fridge door had some brown stuff running down it, the basedboards were black, etc, etc. The shower when started sounded like we were running a jackhammer in our bathroom! If we hadn't arrived so late with tired, hungry kids, I would have cancelled and gone elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
PalmettoShores, Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2010

Thank you for bringing to my attention the frustration you have experienced at our resort. We take great pride in dealing with our customers in a friendly, polite, and efficient manner. When such is not the case, we want to do our best to correct the problem.
All the hotels in this area have parking across the street. We are buying a 6 person golf cart to take guests back and forth to help with this issue.
We are sorry for the confusion with the rooms and the location of the rooms. We just took over management of the 2 Atlantica towers at the beginning of August so there was some disorder and learning that we had to go through. We now have all the little problems worked out and we are now concentrating on fixing the rooms.
We would like to apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay and assure you that it is not the standard for Palmetto Shores & the Atlantica. It is vital to our resort to communicate with our guests at every level of our operation.

Reviewed 15 August 2010

We booked their online opening special and got a great rate but also when few reviews were available. Check in was a little slow, only one front desk clerk and 3-4 groups in line. Our room was on the ground floor in the main building, just outside the elevator and the door to the pool/beach access. That's my main complaint...it was just so noisy at all hours. Crowds of drunks outside the elevator in the middle of the night; families going to the beach, slamming the door early in the morning; ocean-facing on the ground floor means looking straight out to the pool which comes with NOISE!

The refurb is a bit of a misnomer. Our kitchen area was not at all new. the microwave finish was flaking off, the oven was old as dirt (and was on and hot when we first arrived!). The toilet was blocked, the lightbulb in the bathroom was dead, and when we called and asked for more toilet paper we were told to come and get it from the front desk...WTF? Parking was tough too. I don't have a problem with it being across the street but there were times when I truly didn't think we were going to find a parking place.

But the location was excellent, the room was clean, and the beach is just outside the door. Just have low expectations and you'll be satisfied.

I'd recommend this to certain friends as long as they were clear on what this hotel offers and what it doesn't.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

We do accept requests for units on a higher floor which would cut down on the pool noise.
In the 3 Palmetto Towers, we did refurbish all the rooms. We did leave some of the kitchen appliances that were still working. We have a new management team on staff so there will not be the maintenance and housekeeping issue you experienced. I will have the staff go through and inventory the appliances to see what needs to be replaced.
We have 7 parking lots across the street so there is ample parking. We will have a parking lot diagram created for guests at check-in so there is no confusion.
We would like to apologize for the problem you encountered during your stay and assure you that it is not the standard for Palmetto Shores. It is vital to our resort to communicate with our guests at every level of our operation.

Reviewed 13 August 2010

We stayed 5 nights at the Palmetto. We had an oceanfront room. It is a very good value for the money. Some of my wife's family stayed in a motel down from us ,they paid twice the amount we paid and thier rooms were not any better than ours. I found all the staff the very friendly and helpful. WE will be staying there again next year.
Robert Turner

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Well, I am glad I did not take any of the reviews that I read on here to heart. I checked in to this hotel last Sunday (Aug. 8, 2010). I took advantage of the Travelzoo special and I am GLAD I DID! Check in was a breeze. My family arrived early and pre-registered went to the pool and the beach which is literally steps away from the hotel. Went back @ 3:15 and picked up our keys. The room was clean, the balcony was avg size, no smaller than any others on the oceanfront. For the price, you can't BEAT IT! Parking is quite ample. The Free bfast made it even better! Plan to stay here again!

Reviewed 11 August 2010

I checked in 08/08 and it took me about an hour to get checked in b/c they was over booked...however they finally found me a room. I read reviews prior to making reservations and just assumed the worse. Well the room was nice and clean, we had a oceanfront on the 10th fl in the main bldg... However the parking was not that bad even tho it was across the street.. Housekeeping was very nice and was always prompt when needed. I felt very safe because there was lots of security at all times...The lobby offered Wifi and the pools were nice as well. So if you want to budget your money and still enjoy a nice resort then this is the place to be...Excellent locations b/c you are close to everything...Grocery store is walking distance...They offer all your cookware and stove and fridge worked great. The AC gets really cold so nothing to worry about.. PleaSe dont let these negative reviews change your mind. We checked out 08/11 and my $50.00 deposit was back in my checking account the same day I checked out.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tiffanyandhollan
Reviewed 10 August 2010

After reading the reviews posted, we expected the worst and hoped for the best. We got the best. We checked in on Aug. 3 with no problems at 3:00 on the dot. We stayed in the waves building on the eighth floor. Our room was very nice, clean-not oceanfront but oceanview. We were surprised how nice everything was. The fridge and air condition worked great. The toilet was good. The elevator was fine. No problems with the power going out. Our balcony was just fine. The water in the shower was very, very hot. The staff was very nice and curteous. The trash and towels were picked up every day by a very nice lady. I have two girls who are 9 and 11. They enjoyed the pools, indoor and out. Within walking distance of the pavillion and several stores. Parking was not bad. Sure across the street but very reasonable. Security all around. No problems until dark and all the crazies came out. Fireworks starting at 10pm and ending around 3am, but that is not the hotel's fault. Town of Myrtle Beach needs to enforce the laws. Checked out Aug 8 with no problems. My family had a very nice stay and would stay here again!