“Only a few quirks”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #29 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Traffic at checkin was a little maddening- we decided to go ahead and park in the parking lot across the street and grab luggage carts for checkin, the security guard was really sweet and helped us out some with our luggage. they have limited handicap parking but the lot across from the hotel is well lit and not really an issue other than the longer walk to the street access at the lobby entrance. The location is absolutely superb- close to shops, family kingdom park and restaurants all within decent walking distance. The new boardwalk which starts at the pier is also within walking distance. We stayed in the Palmetto-our room was clean w/ starter sets of everything needed. The beds are "firm" to say the least so if you don't like a firm bed, this may not be the best rest for you. The murphy bed was nice instead of having to deal with a pull out. The patios need tables outside but they do have a couple of chairs. Our jacuzzi tub did not work when we first tried to use it and the drain was slow but maintenance was right on it and fixed it. The only complaint I have about our room was that the neighbors coming in a 1 and 4 in the morning woke us up- i'm not sure if the bedroom walls are really thin or they were just really loud. We were also given a room right off the elavator which from past experience I should have known to request a different area. People are loud coming off of it and the AM partiers didn't help our sleeping situation. Management gave them their warnings which didn't really help us out much. The indoor pool is small for both buildings and the lazy pool is overcrowded with kids so adults really can not enjoy it. Both outdoor pools were nice, clean and heated. Of course with the colder air your freezing when you get out. People also take their towels down to the chairs very early in the morning so by the time you go down there aren't any chairs to lay on. It was difficult to find one most of the time. People really should be more considerate not to hold chairs and grab one when they are actually going to be at the pool. The beach is right out of the pool area and you did not have to walk far to the shoreline which was really nice. Overall I liked the place and the convenience of everything around us.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevator area for a quieter stay. Be prepared for long waits on elevators during...
1  Thank UBTRU
There are newer reviews for Sandy Beach Resort

Reviewed 12 April 2012

My family and I stayed in the older section of the Sandy Beach Resort (April 8th-11th 2012). We were pleased with our hotel, it was clean, I didn't see one bug while I was there (that's a PLUS). The price was very affordable, the location was perfect (we were in walking distant to the Family Kingdom Amusement Park), and we had a nice view of the beach. My kids enjoyed the indoor pool. The only con I had with my stay was the wireless internet service....it was not a strong signal but I'm not sure how that would compare to the other hotels in the area. We will stay again...next time in the newer section ;-)

1  Thank LaDonna M
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I'm not sure why Elizabeth B., had such a bad room , this is my 4th trip here, always stay in the Palmetto side of the Resort. Last 2 times stayed in the 3BR King Std Suite. We like it here, the only bad things this year , was we could smell smoke in the hall one night from cigaretts, They have a no smoking ban, but some people are rude anyway. Our room was spotless, but time for room carpet and furniture change , and the price did go up $ 66.00 a night . Even said I will probably stay here again next year.

2  Thank captainmuscle11
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Okay, we were down in Myrtle Beach for the unforunate passing of my Husband's grandmother and thought that under the dismal circumstances we would stay a couple of extra days to get a good feel of what Myrtle Beach was about. Instead of staying inland, we decided after reading several reviews to book our stay here at the Sandy Beach Resort. After visiting their website, seeing the pictures of their "gorgeous" rooms and reading the many reviews of pleased patrons, we decided that this was where we were going to stay. So, in other words I had high expectation of this place.

We booked a queen jacuzzi room. Check in was a breeze. The southern hospitality and warm welcome were much appreciated after our 9 hour drive. Everything took a turn when we entered our room. Outdated, broken tiles in the kitchen/bathroom, dust, a rotting banana in the cabinet that room service must have missed, and a very musty/stale ciggarette smell (even though we were in non-smoking). Were was my nice room that I saw online? Did I get the short end of the stick when I booked? Fine, for the price I could very well get over that. And, we had a jacuzzi room! I was very excited to relax my worn muscles in the jacuzzi, only to disover that not all the jets worked (included the most important "back" jet). Whatever - I guess it could be worse? Oh yeah, it was. Apparently the whole time we were there we heard this "squealing" noise that would come and go every few minutes. We found out later that it was the showers of all the other rooms - very, very noisy.

Parking is actually across from the street. If you can get a temporary space under the building in their concierge then you are in luck - but then you have to park across the busy street and walk all the way back to the hotel. Good luck finding an even remotely close space, we went in spring and it was crowded like I've never seen a place.

The pools were alright, but you better get there early because you will NOT find a chair. My children enjoyed the indoor lazy river (which I admit was my most favorite part of this whole experience), but not a nice place to spend on a warm sunny day (it's actually indoors). Also, the indoor jacuzzi had several jets that didn't work. What's up with their jacuzzi's???

The view was nice - however very noisy because all three pools were right under where we were staying. So, there was lots of noise until around 11:00. Does not bother me, I enjoy lots of fun and don't mind that - but if you are here for quiet, book another room or better yet, don't stay here.

I can't give this place a one start, but to me it wasn't even average - so I'm going with two. I would love to see what the other section was like (with all the updated rooms), but unfortunately will not be down that way for a long time.

Room Tip: Make sure you see what rooms are the "new" rooms before booking. I do beleive they might...
2  Thank Elizabeth B
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed in the "older" section (Magnolia) but it was fine. Very large rooms, updated bedding, full kitchenette, and the Murphy pull-down bed was actually comfortable! You could see a little wear-and-tear but it was very clean and of course, the best part was the balcony with an excellent view of the beach! Good size bathroom and always stocked with towels. For four adults it was fine. The location couldn't be better with a General Store right across the street. Free parking too in a big parking lot so it was never a problem to find a space. We could easily walk to the Strand (about a 15-20 min walk). The front desk people were friendly! There are two pools, two Jacuzzi's, a children's pool and lazy river so it never felt overcrowded, even during a busy week. Sooooo nice having the beach right there to walk to! This hotel is a great deal for the price and even though we were there for Spring Break, it was quiet at night and in the morning. I would definitely return!

Room Tip: Save money with Magnolia - they really are fine for a beach hotel. Wireless internet is strong on t...
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just booked our 2nd trip back to Sandy Beach Resort in a year! My Wife and 2 teenage daughters have been looking forward to coming back. The building is located perfectly in Myrtle and the accomodations are awesome! The rooms are Clean, and Beautiful. The staff is very helpful and Nice. And the Price is excellent!
Thank you Sandy Beach resort!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

First time in years vacationing in Myrtle Beach so was a little apprehensive in booking a week at a hotel with only third person reviews to ponder.Stayed in the older section (Magnolia) and was pleasantly surprised with how well it is maintained. The double queen beds in separate bedroom has its own quiet air conditioning for great sleeps. The kitchenette was a bonus with full sized appliances. The living room joining the ocean front balcony made the unit everything you would want to make your stay most enjoyable. I know the newer Palmetto is a big step up in terms of the overall amenities, but if you want save a few dollars, you won`t be disappointed in the Magnolia. The staff at this resort are most accommodating. The parking while across the road from the hotel, is not even a little problem. There is plenty of hotel arrival parking for an easy unpack. A great location on the beach and a great well managed hotel. When we return next year, no reason to stay anyplace else.

Room Tip: Higher floors for excellent ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple