“barefoot on the beach, but NOT in our room!!”

Viking Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #166 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 1 March 2012

word of advice...ask to see a room BEFORE you pay. The sign on the wall reads NO REFUNDS!! Like the Hotel California - you can check in but you can never leave. Hotel needs facelift...and tummy tuck...and liposuction. In desperate need of overhaul. Web site photos do not reveal peeling paint, vinyl-covered armchairs, rusty appliances, unequipped kitchen... you get the picture. Stove didn't work - took an hour to cook a hard-boiled egg - water never boiled. Tried ALL four lop-sided burners. On the bright side, we couldn't get much closer to the ocean!! So if you close your eyes, listen to the surf, you can imagine yourself almost anywhere...

Room Tip: ask to see a room BEFORE you pay! ocean front has great view of ocean but rooms are tired.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gerri c
povmgmt, Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at The Viking Motel. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. When asked we are always happy to let a guest view any room prior to checking in. If a guest is not happy with their room we will attempt to accommodate them in any way that we can. We also have a maintenance and housekeeping staff that are available to take care of any needs a guest has while in the room. I am sorry about the peeling paint as well. We are in the midst of removing peeling paint in areas all over the building so that we can repair and repaint. Thank you again for your review. All guest feedback is appreciated.

Jennifer Rourk
Asst General Manager

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Its been almost a yr since i stayed in this motel but I can across this site and decided to write a review. This was my 1st trip to Myrtle Beach and when I booked this motel I knew it was a low quality motel but for the price I gave it a shot. The only good things I have to say is its cheap, has a nice view, and has some parking without having to cross the road. First thing I noticed was a huge puddle of water and a bag of trash right at our door in the hallway, thinking maybe it had just been done after house keeping left I overlooked it, it was still there when I checked out. My "fully stocked" kitchen consisted of a dirty coffee pot, that had coffee in it, a toaster, and 1 pan. I called the front desk and ask for more cook ware before the next morning and was told there was no extras available. Later that night my 2 yr old pushed on the door leading to the balcony and it came open, even with the dead bolt locked! The whole outside door frame was busted so the door wouldnt lock. The response from front desk was " shouldnt be an issue since you are on the 4th floor, noone can get on the balcony to break in! Really what about my kids falling off the balcony because I cant keep the door locked! That was never fixed while I was there, I went and bought a baby gate. Monday morning I got on the elevator and it was covered in blood and some the buttons were missing, when I stopped by the office to inform them I was told by another guest that it was from some guys fighting the night before. When we returned that evening the blood was still there so I called again, she said it would be cleaned up the next morning! If you do decide to stay here DO NOT put you clothes in their washer or dryer. I got a load of beach towels out of the dryer and they smelled like urine. I rewashed them, with lots of fabric softner, and they still had the strong odor. I washed them in the bath tub in the room but the smell never went away and I had to go buy more towels. Also I had requested for house keeping to leave me some clean towels and they had threw the towels on my bed, in a bag and they had left my door propped open with a garbage can. I requested to check out early and was told I wouldnt be refunded, I asked to speak to management and was told there wasn't one at that hotel and had to contact them via email through their website! We went outside to let the kids swim and use one of their grills and ended up having to go back to our room because of a group of about 10 were drunk, cussing and wrestling in and around the pool. Grown men playing in the 1 foot deep kiddie pool where my 2 and 4 yr olds! Needless to say I stayed until Weds, went to their sister motel, found a manger and got a full refund for my entire stay! And when I left the blood was still on the elevator after 2 days! After me calling the health department and all the other reviews I have read I cant belief this place hasnt been shut down. I know not every stay is going to be perfect, things can always go wrong but these things were completely unacceptable. Good Luck to any future guest.

Room Tip: Stay Away!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank trcbb
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The only thing good about this place was the view of the ocean.Other then that when we got there we were a little early so we had to wait about an hour to get in.when we got in the room stuck..as we enter we notice the room didn,t look like it had been Vaccumed.there were crumbs uner the matteress..behind the microwave looked like it had not been clean.also when the got there to addresses are problem with the room there was no sorry or nothing like that.the local phone calls there which most places don,t charge to call local well the chared us $9 bucks for using the phone.So I would not recomand this place to my dog.thats how bad it is..To me the people who own this place should be ashamed of there self for ripping people off.

Room Tip: There a whole lot of other places to stay then there.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bobby1961Trinity_NC
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We booked this because friends were staying there and with full knowledge of its reputation. We were not disappointed. The bathroom in our first floor room had been cleaned for the most part, but the rest of the room had not been touched in a long time. I am not a clean freak but got cleaning solution from the front desk and cleaned the room for 15 minutes before putting anything down. I never did unpack, the room was damp and musty, sheets were grainy (probably undissolved detergent), generally very uncomfortable. We had asked if any oceanfront rooms were available and were told no. When we inquired/complained the next day, one was suddenly available. We moved upstairs where the room was a little cleaner, less musty. The view of the beach from the peeling balcony is great. Bottom line is do not even consider this hotel if an oceanfront room is not available and then only if nothing else on the beach is available. We saw many other hotels with vacancies advertising a lower price than we paid and which had to be cleaner. Let me add that my hairdryer (they have none in the rooms) burned out when it sparked as I plugged it in. Let's just say that this was an experience, but once was enough.

Room Tip: oceanfront if you must but preferably another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kem506
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My sister told me about all the bad reviews this hotel recieved on trip advisor, so I was annoyed at her and apprehensive about what I would find when I got there. BUT I had a very enjoyable expierience at The Viking! For the price you can't ask for more, its perfect. The ocean access was splendid. I saw no mold or bedbugs anywhere! The staff was friendly and VERY helpful! About the only thing you could find wrong about it was that there was no wifi, but that wasn't a big deal. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank jb_hendu
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I didnt think the Vicking motel was going to be the best place to stay since I had read some of the reviews, but it was cheap and close to the beach so I couldnt be disappointed, Big mistake. The Vicking motel is the most discusting place I have ever been to. The smell of mold and cigarettes overwhelms the whole place. Cigarette burns everywhere. Looks like it hasnt been remolded in 30 years. I didnt even stay 10 minutes it was that bad, I ended up going to the Best Western across the street and had an amazing time there. I wouldnt stay at the Vicking hotel even if it was free, it is honestly that bad. If you like your hotel to be clean and enjoyable then the Vicking hotel is not for you, if you want to stay in a cheap discusting place that looks like a crack house then the Vicking hotel is perfect for you!

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and stay anywhere other then the Vicking motel, it's that horriable.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2011

upon entering our room, the smell of marijuana hit us all. i was traveling with my 17 year old daugther, 14 year old niece, and my 1 year old baby girl! there was mold in the rooms and bathroom.

the maid service was horrible, after "cleaning" we had no extra toliet paper and we were left to make our own beds. rust and mold were on the ac unit, above the beds.

parking was horrible.

after requesting a bottom floor due to my baby having seizure, we were still given a room on the fourth floor.

i wouldn't recommend this hotel to a transient.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family