“Horrible! Liars”

Ranked #116 of 210 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Somerset, Kentucky, United States
“Horrible! Liars”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The hotel its self was clean and neat, The outside pool was heated, The lazy river was disguisting! The hot tubs made weird noises and we not exactly clean. The kiddie pool inside was moldy and rusty and the paint was pilling all over it. The indoor pool area smelled awful with intense smells of chemicals and hurt your eyes so you cannot sit in there at all. The hotel website promised us easter baskets for my kids and so did the receptionist when I made reservations. Then they told me when I check in to tell them the kids agest and names and they would bring the baskets when they could. When I went to check in they played stupid about the basket. I then showed them the website where it said they would give kids easter baskets so then they said they would do it. I went the next day to tell them we would be gone all day so they could drop off the baskets and they suddenly said it would cost us $25 extra although they originally said it was the special at the time. I did not get the baskets!
Another thing they told me when I made reservations was that the Cabana Bar was open and serving alcohol poolside all day. When we got there we quickly saw that was yet another lie and they are still building the cabana bar! Luckily, the hotel next door had a cabana bar and a nicer pool! I will not stay at this hotel anymore. I told them all people want is to be told the truth! They did not have to lie to me. I could have compromised because the price was nice but I will not tolerate being lied to!

Room Tip: If you plan to stay here just don't believe what they say and do not go based on specials listed...
8 Thank Jessica M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
NC
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Typical rooms here. Clean rooms. Better rates than hotels nearby. Connecting parking deck. Visited in April. Lazy river was very cold. Pool heated and hottubs were hot. Breakfast only is served here. If you want to spend the day on the beach and have lunch, bring groceries and make your lunch unless you want to drive out and find lunch. In the past during the summer, they grill out at the pool and sell hotdogs and hamburgers. You may want to ask about this during summer months. If noise at the pool bothers you, ask for a higher floor room. The pool is loud until 11pm. Also, you may want to bring your own pillow...the pillows are very thin. Close to lots of shopping and restaurants. Call about rates...they are often less than on their website.

5 Thank 4travelersNc
SMITHFIELD, NC
Reviewed 16 April 2012

First, the pictures are very outdated. I was so disappointed when we checked in. The kitchen was not clean therefore I was scared to use!!
Second, the rooms are all oceanview but they forget to mention the view from the door is.... lets just say "temp residents of myrtle beach"
Third, at least one thing broke every night. Example, the remote one night and the TV the next night.
Fourth and by far the worst part of our vacation was..... someone stole our beach bag which contains my wallet, camera, and IPhone from our lounge chair (on the property) while I had stepped away for a second. No help from this motel for food, gas, or even the use of their computer to save my life savings or contact family for help on how to get me and my children home from their Easter vacation.
After paying over 100 a night, with no free breakfast, room way under par (maybe the pics are from 20 years ago), & getting robbed.... I will never stay at this place or any other places they own!!!!!! Only living 3 hrs away, if they manager (who never came to work on my check out day) had of even called to check on me I would of changed my review. Still honest but not as harsh as now!!!
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE PLACE TO STAY!!! POOLS ARE DIRTY, ROOMS ARE DIRTY, SURROUNDING PROPERTY DIRTY, CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT THERE!!!!
NO FREE BREAKFAST!!! THEY COULD AT LEAST FEED YOU AFTER THEY FEED YOU A BUNCH OF OUTDATED PICTURES OF THE MOTEL!!!!
YES... MOTEL THIS IS NO HOTEL OR RESORT UNLESS YOU NEED A LAST RESORT!!!

10 Thank Denise N
bigboss7myrtlebeach, General Manager at Sandcastle South Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Denise N,
The shareholders, management, and staff of the Sandcastle South take great pride in providing a clean, safe, and well maintained family resort. Our goal is to provide accommodations and customer service that well exceed our guest expectations. We truly regret the dissatisfaction you have.
After researching the maintenance log, I was pleased to see our staff replaced the remote control batteries in such a timely manner. Unfortunately our local service provider had technical difficulties on Saturday which affected our entire area for a short time.
One of our greatest concerns is the safety and well being of any guest or employee. Although we do have staff consistently monitoring the property it is unfortunate that the theft occurred. We ask that all guest use sound judgment with safety issues as well. Unfortunately, there are those with less than clean hands and they see a purse left unattended as something they can take. This is not something that is synonymous with Sandcastle South and we are disturbed by it greatly as well. We do have a phone line in the lobby accessible to anyone in need of assistance with 3rd party vendors or in case of emergencies such as yours. Unfortunately, we do not have a business center yet, but we are considering doing so and hopefully in the near future. Although this happen during a very busy time (7pm Saturday afternoon) the incident report states that our clerks cared enough to offer assistance by sending or receiving an email and/or anything else they could help with. As the General Manager, I welcome and appreciate any guest that would like to speak to me. I work from 9am-5pm, 6 days a week minimum and I am very sorry I was not here when this happened.
We value every guest that is kind enough to stay with us. We feel blessed to have the opportunity to build and nurture relationships with so many wonderful people, from this country and internationally. We do hope you will come to understand that the cleanliness of this property and the guest service provided by SandCastle South is what we are best known for. We honestly hope you will decide to allow us to be your vacation home again in the future!

Rusty Lowery

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Nevada
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We spent 7 days at Sand Castle after a lot of research, reading reviews, etc.

What a great off-season value for the 7 days @$29 a day. We made a weekend reservation for our son and his family also at a slightly higher rate, but still a great value.

Great views, clean rooms, and not crowded during our February Stay, and the weather cooperated as well.

The only glitch was we had to get TP from the front desk, professional and friendly.

One inside and outside pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views, off-season obviously provides a better choice of rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JRSilverstate
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Nice people in resturant and hotel desk. Rooms were typical hotel accomodations. Not high end but ok. $89 ocean front room...during spring break....it was fine.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank rsparmiter
Kitchener, ON
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed 10 days for a golf trip from April 2-10. Rooms a bit old but the site in front of a not so crowded beach appreciated. Lots of teenagers sometimes noisy at night in the outdoor pool. Otherwise, good value for the money as more modern hotels nearby are much more expensive. Breakfast a bit pricy for what we get, so consider cooking or go out... Staff at reception very friendly and helpful. If your main concern is playing golf, enjoying the beach, the pool and the hottubs (sometines crowded at night) and the view from the balcony, definitely the place to stay ; if you otherwise looking for modern bigger rooms, maybe look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Floors 2-5 : you can park basically in front of your room in the underground parking.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank S P
Greensboro
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just returned from our stay at Sandcastle South and it was slightly below average. I found a great deal ($50 per night) and decided to give it a try. The view of the ocean from the balcony was great. I also was surprised to see that a full kitchen came in a standard room. The pros end there. The stove was ancient. The AC was filthy and the lights in the bathroom made a loud shrieking sound. The ceiling was cracking and even the alarm clock was rusty. My husband turned on one of the lamps and the power went out in the room. On a positive note maintenance wasthere in about 2 minutes. Overall it serves it's purpose if you need a clean place to shower and sleep, but I would never pay the actual rate (about $120 per night)

2 Thank Va2NCmom