New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #155 of 216 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Roxboro, North Carolina
“Worst Hotel Ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

My boyfriend and I were going on our first vacation together and looked forward to having a good time. We checked in on May 25th around 5pm after sitting in about an hour and a half of traffic on Ocean Blvd which was crowded with people partying with their music up loud. They handed us a key to our room, an actual KEY. I thought this was the 21st century, but no big deal. We went up to explore our room and it was extremely out-dated. The shower head was broken, the bed felt like a brick, the TV was very old and cheap, the elevators and hallways smelled very highly of marijuana, when the maid cleaned our room we would come back and our room would smell like marijuana, the indoor pool was dirty looking and the indoor jacuzzi was closed, there was a coffee pot but not any coffee, the carpet was nasty, and the balcony door wouldn't lock. Those are just a few of the problems. But we weren't too concerned about the hotel being out-dated, we were going to go out shopping and make the best of our trip. In the middle of our first night we kept hearing this dripping noise and we thought maybe it was the air-conditioner, but when my boyfriend walked in the bathroom he stepped right into a huge puddle of water. The shower from the room above us had apparently been running and it had leaked all over our stuff for hours. My flat-iron was in a pool of water and obviously ruined. We called the front desk and told them about the leak and they said they would send someone up. Thirty minutes later, no one had come to our room so we called the front desk again and they said oopps we sent the repair man to the wrong room. When the repair man finally got to our room he looked at the problem and said he could fix it in about an hour so we walked down to the front desk to see if we could get another room to get dressed in. We talked to a manager named, Jamie, who was extremely rude and said they couldn't do anything about my ruined flat iron and that they couldn't give us another room because they were fully booked when the sign outside clearly said "VACANCY" and another employee at the front desk had already told us they had rooms available. We tried to talk to the manager, Karen Cox, who another employee had told us was in her office, and Karen had the staff lie over and over again saying she wasn't in yet, or that she was in a board meeting. We wrote Karen a note asking her to get in contact with us to make it right and she never did. Later that night we were about to get in our Jacuzzi and relax when the ceiling started leaking AGAIN! (This time ruining my Hair-dryer!) After the repair-man had told us it was fixed! We called the front desk and talked to another manager named Paige who was very nice and sent a repair man right up. The second repair man named Dennis was very nice and helpful in getting us another room. They put us in an ocean front room on the first floor which was just as dirty and out-dated as the other room and there were several bugs in our shower. The whole trip was unpleasant because of the horrible staff at Boardwalk Hotel. I do not know how they stay in business. I don't think the owners of this hotel would like it if they knew how their employees are running it. I will never stay here again and neither should anyone reading this.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

we stayed here during bike week, they told us they had security to watch our bikes that was a lie my sisters bike was stolen from the parking lot, my advice stay somewhere else. this place sucks

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Neil M

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

These rooms are run down and the management at the facility is a joke! The policies that they gave us as far as parking, they changed 12 hrs later and threatened to tow our vehicle! When I went to the manager and told her we were told we could park there, she said we could move it or leave!

There were no locks on the balcony door and the door wouldn't shut all the way. There were no hair dryers in the room as advertised. In 27 years of coming to the beach, this is the first places would never return to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carmen E
Wilson, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

The hotel was okay. The rooms were clean, but the hotel is dated. We had a jacuzzi king room and the jacuzzi worked great. Bed was clean and comfortable. We had the romance package which was a really good deal. They had champagne waiting in the room, free breakfast every morning around the corner at Harry's Pancakes which was very good, and a $20 off dinner at Carolina Roadhouse (excellent primerib). So it was a good stay. Its a little noisy there because you're down where all the kids hangout. The indoor pool didn't look very clean and we passed on using it.

Room Tip: There was another tower room, we stayed in North tower, where the rooms "May" have been re...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen J
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We were very happy with our stay at the Boardwalk. Their service staff was super, attentive. The price was hard to beat. Definitely come back.

HM

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are superb
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Hue M
South Colton , New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in the "north" building --Oceanfront from April 4 to April 14, 2012. For location--this resort is a goldmine. I can't believe the management has their head so deep in the sand that they can't see all the problems. I had decided not to write a review because sometimes there's just no pleasing some people. After reading some of these recent reviews and realizing that others had endured the same problems as we had, I decided I owed it to the unsuspecting guests to do an honest review. Where the heck did they get these pictures that they have on the internet ? These buildings do not resemble anything that you see advertised. The room was dirty, the box-spring was too big for the bedframe and wobbled all over the place. The only way to secure the sliding doors was to wedge a stick in the track. Some of the guests were like animals--yelling and cussing until the wee hours of the morning. There was a fire on the 9th. floor about 10:30 pm (I think the date was Tuesday the 10th.). Lots of smoke in the hall, the fire alarms went off on every floor. We scurried down the flights of stairs and gathered with some other guests, and then learned that one guest had ran across the street to alert management. He came back and told us the person at the desk said and I quote, "don't worry about it, I just sent a maintenance person over to check on it". Later, another guest joined us and claimed she had called the office and the person in charge asked her "are you sure" ??? The guest then held her cellphone up to the ringing fire alarm and ask the person at the desk " can't you hear that". It's a good thing I was not the one holding the cellphone because that person would have had to go see an ear-specialist. About ten minutes later, a policeman drove into the parking lot. The gentleman that had ran over to the office talked to the policeman. The officer went into the building, walked up all the flights of stairs, finally came back down , and "yup" there "is" smoke up there and called in the firetrucks. There was not one single person from the hotel that came around and told us anything about what was going on. Some guests just ignored the alarms and stayed in their rooms, and after about 30 minutes I had to go ask a fireman if the fire was out and was it safe to return to our rooms. If this was not so serious, it would be laughable. The reviews about the dirty pools, the empty jacuzzi, the out-of-control guests, the smoke from guests smoking cigarettes on their balconies swirling into other rooms, the filthy picnic tables and broken umbrellas, the noisy and sometimes rude housekeeping staff, the paper-thin walls where you don't even need to have your own TV on, you can listen to your neighbor's anyway, guest playing very loud rap-music and yelling curse-words at the top of their lungs during what were supposed to be pleasant afternoons on the lawn, keeping the huge property-lights on all night(lighting up the whole oceanfront in front of all four buildings) so all the hoodlums from the other hotels can all come and congreate in front of the four buildings owned by the Boarwwalk made nights just unbearable. We went to Basspro Shop and bought some earplugs, but after the fiasco with the fire, we knew this was not something that was safe. We would not recommend this place to our worst enemy. Go rent somewhere else----ANYWHERE. Management will either get their head out of their rear or they will not be in business by this time next year.

Room Tip: Just go find another hotel---plain and simple.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Arthur W
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I wish I would have read up on this crap hole before I booked. The pictures are a LIE this place is terrible. Upon arrival after driving 10 hours I was rudely greeted at the desk. The young girl was hateful and just gave me an inclination on how the trip was going to be. I'm sorry, but I am on vacation PAYING for a nice getaway be NICE! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK THESE DAYS? Well, anyways after dealing with Miss personality, we get our room KEY (YES, AN ACTUAL KEY) we head up the ragged elevators which look like someone had been shot up in. We get to our "ocean view room" which actually means if you step out on the nasty balcony and lean outward and tilt your head to the side you will see the ocean. The room smelled like a pet store, the covers were disgusting, the floors were gross. You want to know how they locked their balconies? They put a stick in between the slides that you just pull up when you want to open it. There were nasty little bugs all over the balcony. At first I thought it was covered in bird poop, but it turned out to be these nasty little bugs everywhere. I was mortified. I brought my laptop to access the internet and wasn't able to pick up WIFI because the signal was too weak. REALLY!!!!!? Come on, this place was a joke. They made me pay a $200 cash deposit because I was under 25. I pulled the sheets back just to check it out and there were stains on the comforter and sheets along with cigarette burns. I called down and asked to speak to the manager. She wouldn't give us a different room and finally after all of the things that I had told her we got the HECK out of there! I would not let my dog sleep in that place. It is disgusting and slummy. If you like trash and trashy places and hateful little girls at the front desk then yes, stay here and enjoy yourself, but for those who want to get away and actually enjoy themselves DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! Luckily I was only here for a few hours. There is no way I could have stayed here.

Room Tip: Just don't even stay here!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends