“Nice place close to restaurants”

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #33 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice place close to restaurants”
Reviewed 12 April 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed over the holidays. Many of the resorts are so far from good restaurants that you have to get in the car and drive to eat each night. Compass cove is within walking distance of a couple of nice restaurants - Damons and a local Italian and steak place called Angelos. It was nice not having to drive and fight for parking. The hotel was nice and had a ton of water features.

Stayed December 2011
5 Thank CB650
Sarah C, Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear C B,

Thank you for taking a moment to share you experience at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort with others. We greatly appreciate it! I’m so glad you enjoyed the many water amenities we have to offer, as well as the local eateries within walking distance. Don’t forget about the Crow’s Nest and the Tiki Hut right here on property for those nights you want to stay at the resort. We all look forward to seeing you again soon. Have a warm Spring!

Best wishes,

scornell@compasscove.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,161)
Calgary
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here March 28 - April 1 with our 3 kids ages 16, 14 and 10. Although the beds were stiff and unfomfortable it was nice to have enough bedrooms and bathrooms for everyone. Having a full sized kitchen saved on food bills after eating out for the first 10 days of our trip in other locations. There is some renovation going on, but we didn't find it disturbing even though the neighboring suite was being worked on. Our suite was cleaned daily and we always had fresh towels. The pools could use a good cleaning but the beach was pristine.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor in a corner unit. Beautiful views from all rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Sarah C, Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear farriesgc,

Thank you for taking a moment to write a review of your recent stay at Compass Cove Resort. We appreciate the time you’ve spent sharing your experiences with others. I’m happy to hear that you were comfortable with the size and the amenities provided in your room. I would like to apologize that you found the beds uncomfortable. We do have a maintenance staff on property that can change out the mattresses if ever you have a problem. In the future, I hope you will give us the opportunity to remedy the situation so that you may be more comfortable during your stay. Our maintenance staff also takes care of our pools every morning. They wash down all of the pool decks, vacuum the pools, and adjust the chemical levels. I hope you and your family truly enjoyed your long weekend with us at the beach, and we hope to see all of you again soon!

Best wishes,

Lexington, KY
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I don't know if the people who are talking great stayed in the same Compass Cove resort as we did. Yes, there is a lot for kids to do, but the pools are quite dirty and the staff NEVER ONCE cleaned our room. We had to ask for towels and no there was nothing on our bed or blocking our door. The staff was not super friendly and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all to do aside from pools which is great if all you want to do is swim all day and night, but we wanted to experience all of Myrtle Beach. Stay in North Myrtle Beach if you want to be where there are many things to do and many places that you can walk to. Stay in a different hotel completely if you like cleanliness and a very friendly staff. It's definitely back to the Yachtsman for this family!

Room Tip: I wouldn't choose a room here again. They are filthy.
4 Thank darabeth2323
Sarah C, General Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear darabeth2323,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at Compass Cove. We appreciate all feedback as it allows us to see what we are doing well and where we need to improve. I would first like to apologize for you feeling that our water amenities were not clean. Our maintenance staff cleans all of our pools every morning prior to them opening. The pool decks and pools are cleaned and vacuumed, and all chemical levels are checked and adjusted. I have personally spoken with our CPO (Certified Pool Operator) and shared your comments to make sure if this was an issue, we quickly correct it! I would also like to apologize that you were unhappy with our housekeeping department. Our service is set up so that you receive full service every third day of your stay. On the days in between, you are to receive new towels and trash disposal service. If your room was overlooked during this process, I again apologize for the inconvenience. The Director of Housekeeping has seen your comment and is working on a solution to this problem. Here at Compass Cove, we take great pride in our resort and the customer service that we provide to our guests. I assure you that we can provide a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Jeff Wood
Resort Manager
843-444-3921
jeff.wood@compasscove.com
niagara falls ontario
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Hint to others don't stay here if your looking for a nice clean resort. I agree with the last persons review it was gross. I also read the manager's response that they are renovating. That is a lie no offence they should knock the whole pinnacle building down. We checked in on march 31, 2012 for seven nights my sister and her family stayed there as well. Upon check it the room was disgusting dirty and smelled really bad we also had our daughters with us 15 and 19 they did not want to touch anything sheets were dirty fridge was all dented in old gross furniture and smelly musty room bathroom you can not move in it is so tiny. We asked to be moved after spending the whole following day waiting for them to move us and my poor husband having to wait until they could show him the other room. It was pretty much almost the same thing the only difference was ther bathroom counter space was alittle bigger we also asked the girl at the front desk if she would stay in these rooms of course she said what else would her answer be.The setup of the pools is ridiculous you have to go through the indoor pool to get outside to the beach they also boast about all these pools where???? the manager offered us one free night i would never never stay here if it were free. access to parking was across the street. no bell hops no help for people who might have a broken leg and have to walk across the street to get their car in the rain. I don't understand all the other reviews that it is clean there was not one person we saw ever cleaning if you have a chance stay at the holiday sands south the one and two bedroom condos were beautiful brand new it is right next door my other family members stayed there unfortunately we were stuck at compass as everything else was sold out hope this helps others.

Room Tip: they are all old and have not been renovated in probably 30 years.
2 Thank ANGELO367
Dear ANGELO367,

I would first like to thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay at Compass Cove Resort. We do appreciate your comments as they allow us to improve our resort for you, our guest. I would like to apologize that you and your family were not satisfied with your stay. I assure you we are currently undergoing renovations to our resort. In the Pinnacle building in which you stayed, we are installing new carpeting, painting each room, and installing new drapes and bedspreads. Unfortunately, during busy weeks such as Spring Break when we are sold out, these renovations must temporarily cease. I apologize that the renovations to your room were not completed in time for you to enjoy. The Pinnacle building is only one of three buildings we have on property. Our 23 water amenities are spread out inside and outside of these three buildings. I would also like to apologize for the fact that you found our parking garages inconvenient. We do have a 3 level garage attached to the Pinnacle building with an overflow garage directly across the street. We also have Bellman and Security on staff to assist you with your luggage and crossing the street at your request. I hope in the future you will give Compass Cove Resort the chance to prove that we can provide you and your family an enjoyable experience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed here with my daughter and grandchildren, and we all loved it. Yes, it was busy and crowded (spring break), but the staff provided excellent service in a friendly, helpful manner. They even gave us a key card when we checked out, which provided access to the pools and restaurants all the rest of that day. The hotel complex is spread out along the beach, with several choices of indoor or outdoor pools and lazy rivers, as well as the indoor water slides. It reminded me of being on a cruise ship.
The indoor parking garage with elevators provided convenient access to our rooms without having to cross the street. The room was typical ocean front, not extraordinary, but clean, comfortable, and adequate, especially since we spent little time there. We enjoyed eating breakfast and lunch in the onsite restaurants, and ate out at night. The restaurant staff were friendly and the food was good. We will definitely stay here again!

3 Thank savvyseniors
Dear savvyseniors,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at Compass Cove Resort. We love hearing that you and your family enjoyed your Spring Break vacation with us, and that you were able to take advantage of all of the amenities we have to offer. We hope to see you all again soon!

Howell, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I could write about slow elevators or spotty wi-fi, but you could read about that in other reviews. Far, far more important is the safety of your family while staying at a resort away from home. On the fifth day of our stay, my 3-year old son wandered off while on the beach and we couldn't find him. We alerted the front desk, and they responded professionally and efficiently and coordinated the search for him. Thank goodness, because I was a wreck. All staff was looking for him along with beach patrol, and nearby resorts were notified. Thank goodness he was found safe and sound and brought back to us. Thank you Compass Cove for taking care of our family. We are so grateful.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank m0mmybrain
Dear m0mmybrain,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with others. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been in the short time you were unable to locate your son. I am glad that the Compass Cove staff was able to locate him and return him to you safely. I hope you enjoyed your vacation otherwise and hope that we will see you all again soon. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I've stayed at this property several times and I always have a good experience. The staff is friendly, rooms are clean, and even in the winter months there is plenty to do on the inside! This place has heating indoor pools, jacuzzis, Lazy river, and a bar/restaurant. Every morning there is a breakfast buffet in the main building. Its fun for singles as well as family. In the summer guests can enjoy the indoor and outdoor pools, kiddie pools, lazy river, outdoor games, and the beach is just a few steps away. Lots to do and always a great price.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank NitaG29
Dear NitaG29,

Thank you so much for writing a review about your latest stay at Compass Cove. It is wonderful to hear that time and time again we have been able to provide you with an enjoyable vacation with so much to do! I hope you have a warm spring and we look forward to seeing you again soon!