“Average”

The Caravelle Resort
Ranked #24 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Weekend trip for a sports competition for my daughter. Elevators very slow as two were broken which I am told is normally how it is there. Reserved ocean front but was on the 8th floor where there is a large deck on the 7th floor so I was just above the people on the deck. No privacy and not really the "ocean front" I had expected. Friendly staff, clean room. One bar of soap for sink and shower, one coffee filter. Plenty of towels. I thought it was a step up from normal Myrtle Beach "resorts" and it was ok. Probably won't go again...nothing compelling to make me want to do so.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pottsofgold
Write a ReviewReviews (2,582)

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at Caravelle Resort this w'end and it was a truly great stay. It's located on the quieter side of Ocean Blvd.Check in was a little slower than I'm use to. I noticed that the receptionist(if that's what they are called) talked a lot to the people checking in--answering questions etc. Since that appeared to be the case I didn't mind waiting a few extra minutes. We stayed in room 302--oceanview. I was really nervous about entering the room, not knowing what to expect b/c of a couple of bad reviews. Our room looked exactly like the ones taken by the professionals. There was a full sized fridge and stove, a microwave and coffee maker. We had 2 double beds--queen would have been much better. A flat screen tv, sofa, dining area and nice view of the pool completed the room. I will admit the bathroom is small. But who spends a lot of time in the bathroom anyway?

A few downsides to the hotel are the wait times for the elevator. Around 4-6 pm it is very slow and you will be waiting if you have a lot of stuff(the same is true for checking out). Once you check in your room it's easier to take the stairs to get to the different floors. The stairs weren't a bad option for us with 2 kids in tow. Also, if you want to park in the main bldg you better not leave after 7pm. You won't get a parking space once you return but there is plenty of parking across the street.

They have a pool area for the kids and the adults. The beach is also right there. I also loved the beds---very comfortable. Didn't use the game room but it looked like it could be a lot of fun for tweens and older kids. Overall, a great stay. I will return!

2  Thank aliciaispretty
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed in oceanfront executive suite with 2 double beds. Room was nicely decorated. The mattresses need to be updated since they were hard and worn. I would suggest 2 queen beds, as this seems to be the standard in most hotels, not 2 double beds.

Loved the oceanfront room! Loved the sundeck on the 7th floor! Especially the hammocks! The outside pool area was nice.

Did not eat at the restaurant. Had a drink at the bar "Liquids". It was nice....a little small but nicely decorated. Nice male bartender.

Little things I noticed.......when we decided to go to the pool, I called the front desk to ask about pool towels. There were none in our room and I did not see any in the pool area when we had walked thru earlier. I was told "yes, we have them at the front desk" (which by the way, is across the street from the resort). Really?????????? Could you not have offered them at check in......or at least had a sign at check in that indicated pool towels were available for the asking. Very inconvenient. I can't imagine if you had a couple of toddlers with you and you had to trek from your room, down the elevator, across the street and back again just to get your towels.

The elevator situation.......total of four....two were not working.......many times we took the steps to the 9th floor. Not fun when you carrying groceries, etc. It was that or wait for 20 minutes, no exaggeration. It would make more sense to have elevator work done in Jan or Feb, and have things ready to go for the spring. Not being worked on the end of March. Simple planning!

The staff was friendly. One thing I would like to see is someone monitering the pool area and having an occasional staff presence there. Some kids took the round inner tubes from the lazy river and were trying to stand on them in the pool. Not exactly a safe activity. Even if there is no lifeguard, staff should walk thru and moniter things every once in a while. Especially since the check in center is literally across the street. There basically was no staff presence other than the nice lady in the small gift shop.

Overall, it was a good stay and I would stay there again. I think there are a couple small things that could be improved.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stood in line for 45 minutes to check into this hotel! First sign. Stood in line for 20 minutes waiting for an elevator to take us to our 8th floor room...we eventually carried all of our "gear" up the 8 flights! Second sign. Tile in the kitchen looked like it hadn't been scrubbed in years don't even ask about the corners of the bathroom floor! Third sign. Make way down to pool with kids and find out you need to stand back in line to request pool towels from front desk. Keep in mind the front desk is across the street (3 lane road). Can't just leave kids at pool and can't send them to get them.

I paid to upgrade my ocean view room to ocean front....mistake...I overlooked the rooftop deck of the other hotel building which was part of this hotel. You really shouldn't call it ocean front when there it another building in front of you.
Outdoor pool was a nice temperature for the kids (heated) and clean. Indoor pool was very dirty.

2  Thank jackie R
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I stayed in a jacuzzi suite for a 3-day weekend. The jacuzzi tub itself was great. We did have a couple of issues with the condo, though. First, the mattress in the bed was terrible. I have a big divot in the center. When I mentioned this to the desk clerk when we were checking out didn't seem to care much. Neither one of us got a full night's sleep any of the three nights we were there. The window unit AC was quite annoying...it would shut off and on about every five minutes, and when it was on it was very loud. In the living room, there were three remote controls. One belonged to a DVD player, and I don't know what the other two belonged to, because it wasn't to the television. We had to change the channel manually. (I know, the horror of it, right?...LOL) The bathrooms looked more modern and updated, but the furniture in the living room looked a bit worn and dated. The kitchen was fine...had all the cups/glasses/plates/utensils you could need. It had a flat top range, but we didn't cook on it.

The elevators right across from our room were out of service for refurbishing while we were there. I wouldn't really register that as a "complaint", because it appeared they were upgrading them. The only complaint I would have would be that since two of the four elevators were out of service, the two working ones were very busy. Since we were only on the fourth floor, there were several times we just took the stairs. I'd have to have been on the 10th floor with the elevators going so slow.

We didn't get in the pool on the 7th floor, but we did get in both the hot tubs...we didn't have any issues with them. The hot tub downstairs was fine as well. The lazy river did look a bit small, but we didn't get in it. The kiddie area was closed...I didn't get close enough to tell if it was closed for the season, or for refurbishing. Beach access was easy from the pool area...a very short walk. Parking in the garage wasn't bad. You just had to take it slow, especially if you come to a corner when another car is coming from the opposite direction, but they have mirrors at the turns so you can see when a car is coming. If the garage is full (which we didn't experience), then they have another one right across the street.

Would we stay here again? I'm not sure. My wife says that she would...I'm not so sure. I might, but I've paid roughly the same for nicer places in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My family and I have been staying at the Caravelle since 2009. We have always had a great experience there. Pricing and rates are very reasonable.The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are nice and the views from the balcony's are breathtaking. Planning to be there in the next few days and am looking forward to seeing familiar faces. I would never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We are currently staying at the "resort" and it is definitely not as expected based on the website. When we first arrived the check in staff was not very friendly. They were dealing with an upset customer on the phone and didn't even bother to tell me it would be a minute before getting to me. Even though they had two people just standing there with one person sitting in an office. The parking garage is not very safe as it is for one car at a time when turning each corner, if you can find parking at all. Two of the elevators have not been working in the two days we have been here and waiting is awhile. The room was OK looking but you could tell it is not very clean as should be. The shower still had hairs in it and it was not long hair if you know what I mean. The beds are terrible. Very small and not much padding. The pools are very disappointing from what the web shows. Outside are a pool, hot tub, kiddie pool, lazy river and kiddie play area. The play area has been closed the whole time and workers’ drilling all day long beside you while trying to relax is not acceptable. The lazy river is VERY small & not deep at all so watch your knees dragging the bottom. The hot tub is big but barely any jets. The indoor pool is just NASTY! About a foot below where it should be for water level. The hot tub inside does not work either. The hot tub located outside the indoor pool on the 7th level is very cold and & doesn't work. Overall the only good thing we have found in 2-3 days now is that we are ocean front and it is amazing without all the pools below you or being able to see anyone around you. Hope this review helps because I sure would have liked to have read it before I booked here! They do have good wireless internet service in order to allow me to post this review though! lol

Room Tip: If you want privacy, book oceanfront.