Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of The Caravelle Resort

The Caravelle Resort
Ranked #33 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
King, NC
“I would stay again even with the FEW problems we had”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My family of 4 spent spring break at the Caravelle (Apr.1-8) and it was our first visit here. We got a great deal (paid for 5, got 2 free). The first two days one set of elevators was broken and maint was working on it. Yes, we had to go without hot water for ONE day but that didn't ruin our vacation. Yes, they need more elevators, even when they all work. Wait times were a bit long since we were on the 12th floor but, again, that didn't ruin our vacation. Next time I would stay in a room on a lower floor. The parking garage is a tight fit but that is the way most of them are at the beach. The only REAL complaint I have is housekeeping was really lacking and inconsistent. If they did show up, they usually made the beds, emptied the trash and that was it. I only received coffee when I asked for it. Rarely was the floor vacuumed. I mentioned this on a survey and have already received an email stating it would be addressed. The fire alarm was also pulled on our 2nd night there but that was hardly the fault of the hotel. How can they be held responsible for what a customer does? That can happen anywhere.

The positive notes are these: ALL the staff were very polite and friendly. The room was extremely clean and had been remodeled recently. The pool area was cleaned every AM and was in good working order. We had an "ocean view" room and still had a great view of the ocean from our balcony. The pool area was crowded and filled with lively kids during most of our stay. Since The Saint John's Inn is part of the Caravelle, we used their pool and hot tub. Much quieter and only across the street. There are also several other pools and hot tubs to choose from. I love staying in the North end because it is quieter and traffic is less.

There were negative issues with our stay but nothing that would ruin our vacation. We made it to the beach and back safely and had an awesome time there. I would certainly stay again, especially if I can find another deal like I did this time. Overall, the Caravelle is an awesome resort.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Polish first
Irmo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family and I stayed at Caravelle Resort's Sea Mark Tower in their nonOceanview 3BR Condo and didn't know what to expect. However, the views were BEAUTIFUL! From our balcony, we had spectacular views of the landscape, city skyline and the breath-taking views of the ocean. The condo was very spacious, well-kept with comfortable beds. The Caravelle Resort amenities are endless with a restaurant, fitness room, spa, ice cream palor, game room, variety of pool layouts and many more that we enjoyed. I can't wait to book our next beach vacation with Caravelle Resort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
graysville tn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I booked an ocean view suite for spring break April 3-6 2012...The room was very nice and the staff was very friendly.I would definetly reccomend this resort to anyone...Price was also very reasonable for a room with 2 beds and a wall bed and full kitchen.Very nice few of the ocean from the balcony.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
charleston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

As a years long loyal guest to this resort, who has referred several co-workers, it is with great disappointment that I write this review. The first night we arrived to MB, it was late and we did not have a reservation. We walked in the Caravelle around 1am and were told by the front desk clerk, a female that she was running her audit and could not check us in until 3am. She also stated every hotel would be doing the same. We stopped and 5-10 nearby properties and not a one told us the same. After checking rates, we stopped at the hotel we ended up choosing. She was also doing an audit but checked us in as a pre auth and was FANTASTIC. She stated the girl at the Caravelle could likely do the same but she probably didn't want to be bothered. Now, why I chose to go back the next day is beyond me. I have always chosen the Caravelle because I like the location it is in. It is close to several of my favorite spots and is on the nicer, more quiet end. Anyway, we go back the next day and check in a room in the large, main building. Not long after check in, I go to shower. Although the shower function tab was not pulled up for the shower to be on, water comes out, full blast from both the shower and tub faucet. I try to figure out the problem and cannot. The water is actually painful with the force it was on. The tub fills up immediately as the drain cannot keep up so I was actually standing mid calf in dirty bath water. The same happens with the other member of my party. We call maitenance, who comes to inspect the issue. He leaves and shortly calls back to schedule someone to come tomorrow as it is an issue that cannot be easily fixed and the whole faucet will have to be replaced. Annoyed with this, I give them 10am regardless. 10am rolls around and passes and noone shows. I call the front desk, who calls mait. and not a one of them have a clue what I am talking about. A new mait. guy comes to inspect and informs us a plumber will have to be called in. I ask how long that is going to take, mention that this is a brief trip and this is really going to ruin our day. He cannot give me a time frame but states it shouldnt be terribly long. That means all of our belongings are in the room with a mait. employee and the plumber if we leave. If we don't, it means we are stuck in a room all day while we are supposed to be on vacation. Did I mention our sliding glass door would not open or close? It was off track. Did I mention that the safe in the room would not work? Probably an hour and a half later, the plumber shows and has to go through the closet to dismantle the wall and faucet area. There are buckets, tools, work bags and parts all throughout the bathroom and hall leading to the door and in the kitchen area. There is dirt all over the place. Absolutely fed up, I complain to the mait. guy that this is ruining our day. It is after 1pm and we are unable to take a shower, my guest is unable to take a nap as she wishes. We can't go anywhere because we need to shower. I ask why they can't move us to another room? Which management should have done, immediately, on their own as soon as this issue was recognized. He steps out and makes a call, then returns to tell us the hotel is 100% booked solid for the night. I am suprised since it is March and the hotel is so large, but it is a Thursday so I dunno. After a bit more time, I call the front desk to vent my frustration. The plumber has been working probably 2 hours and this point and is guestimating another hour. They claim they didn't even know this was going on. They put me on hold for 10 min to talk to the mgr. I hang up, call back and request the mgr call me back. I also don't want to spend my vaca on hold. 5 min later he calls back and claims that they can move us to all kinds of different empty rooms and he doesn't know where the mait. guy got that they were booked. The mait. guy was very nice and did leave and call someone. I really don't believe he was lying about it. I am upset because most of our day is ruined and we have a ton of stuff to move. He states they will bring someone up to help us move all of our stuff and bring the new room key. Mgmt should have done this as soon as mait. identified a serious problem. At this stage, I'm really not satisfied. We have spent two days with this faulty shower. He offers a 20% off my next stay. REALLY? Do you THINK we would return? Why not give us 20% off this stay and how it was ruined. Doesn't that make more sense? I don't expect the whole stay comped but I feel that is fair. No response to that statement. He sends up a guy to help and with the keys and 20% next stay card. We get to another floor where we are given a handicap access room with a stain on one of the bedsheets as my guest pulled the covers back to finally nap. We immediately call down, requesting that we don't want an access room and this one has something on the sheets. They want to send someone to change the bedding. No! That will hold up even more of the day and we don't want the handicap room. The closet hangers are waist hight and the facilities at a level not for us. She puts us on hold again. After another wait, I call back and request him to call. We waste even more time waiting for the return call. Get fed up once again and walk all the way down and across to the front desk. Guess what? Not a soul in there, they're not busy. Just busy putting us off. She goes to get the manager, who will not even come out and speak to me face to face after I came down there requesting him. The clerk returns with another room key and ignores my statements that the discount should not be for a return visit, because this is the visit THEY have ruined. A measly 20% to keep a loyal guest who has returned for years and referred two families in the past to this same resort, which I noted to them. Not her fault I suppose and since the manager, Darby wouldn't even face me..... TERRIBLE management and custome service response. I do NOT recommend this property any longer based soley on the fact of how they handled this situation. What if something serious happened? Don't you want a company and management who is interested and concerned about the guests and their stay? I like staying with places where I know if something goes wrong, they WANT to fix it. I have sent two emails since my return over a week ago and both have been 100% ignored. Next I will be filing a complaint with the BBB and likely a dispute with my CC. I don't want my stay comped, but I also do not believe I owe them the high rate for the mess they left us in. 20% on this stay seems fair. Next stay? You have GOT to be kidding me. DO NOT STAY HERE is my warning at this stage.

Room Tip: Stay at a different property, not affiliated with the Caravelle.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank map0125
Chesterfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I recently visited The Caravelle Resort and it was nice... until..... we parked in the parking deck attached to the hotel and realized after we had taken everything out of the vehicle that they only had 3 elevators working for the entire 15 floor hotel. On day two of being there we went to take a shower and there was no hot water. After being on hold for about 10 minutes to contact someone at the front desk and maint. we were told that the power to the main elevators had to be shut off therefore cutting the power to the HOT WATER line... So that's down an elevator and no hot water. We were told after complaining the water would be turned on by 8PM at the latest. We called at 1:00pm.. Luckily we hadn't gone to the beach or pool, because we would've been yucky. I asked them how could this possible be sanitary and I was told... "Like I said were working on it" *Blank Stare*. Once the hot water returned the rest of the weekend was nice, except of course for the lack of elevators and the parking garage is TINY... If you drive any type of SUV BEWARE, and the parking deck attached to the hotel gets full quick so once you park try your best to keep your vehicle parked to make sure you have a parking space when you are about to check out.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that's higher up and make sure you get a massage from the Awaken Your S...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Did a quick trip south for spring break. Decided against driving all the way to Florida decided to stay in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Weather was perfect for spring break and not doing a long haul to Florida like the rest of the northerners. Was going to rent a hotel room but found this place instead they offered the condo (Sea Mark Towers) for rent which is across the main road from the Caravelle but still considered part of their properties. It was perfect. Just slightly away from beach but from 10th floor had a great view of ocean from our balcony. Pool was less crowded. Condo fit our family and another comfortably. Downtown Myrtle at night is a sketchy mess but this location is quiet and pretty and much nicer area. Definitely might do Myrtle next spring break instead of doing killer drive to Florida. Or spending $1,600 on airfare for family of four to Florida. It was warm enough to lay on the beach and get a tan and go in the water. I would recommend this hotel and the general area of it to any one of my friends looking to get away. Wasn't fancy but it was comfortable and nice. Area was safe yet close enough to drive to all the commotion if you wanted to do all that.

Room Tip: For the Sea Mark Towers condo. Top floors have awesome view of ocean and waves.
2 Thank love_da_sea
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Using their website I priced a 5 day vacation for a Oceanview, King bed, efficiency room during the month of June 2012. I priced both their standard rate (advertised) and again with a military discount applied. The Military rate was $120 more than their standard rate. What gives? I've sent 2 e-mail messages to the management and called once and have not received any reply, period. I've stayed at this resort several times in the past and actually had a good experience. Now, I read about dirty rooms, slow elevators, uncomfortabe mattresses and staff making excuses for the problems. It makes me wonder, maybe a new (owner/management) and is more concerned in putting more profits into their pockets than improving the facilities. Oh yes, they did repaint and improve some of the property, but that's called normal maintenance. The Caravelle Resort needs to redo their self-assement review and make some needed changes to bring this resort up to date and standards to be in line with other hotels (resorts) in the Myrtle Beach area.

• 2 of 5 bubbles