“Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Coral Beach Resort & Suites
Ranked #9 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We booked the hotel online after researching many. We chose this hotel because of the many pools and activities that you can do at the hotel. They have bowling, an arcade and bar. We never went bowling because it was pricey, the guy working there said it was 20 for an hour not including a $2 shoe rental per person. We decided we can bowl at home where it is cheaper. The bar is pricey but you get a good bit of alcohol in whatever drink you get, so you gey your moneys worth. We stayed on the first floor due to my brothers fear of heights. We paid for ocean view but our view was of the hot tub. This wasn't bad thougj. We could tell when it was unoccupied so that is when we went out there. The staff was amazing too. We got there at 2 in the morning. Check in was easy and we were in out room in less than 10 minutes. We went down to the desk to get more stuff and they were happy to help usThe security guards they have are nice too. They told ua where things are, events happening, and other things around the area and in the hotel. The pools were clean except the one tiny one by the out door hot tub. It is a smaller that had trash and some toys so I supposed some kids were there. It didn't bother me because I didnt go in it. There was a cheerleading competition going on so there were a lot of 8-14 year old girls running around in groups. They hogged some of the hot tubs and other activities but mainly just got annoying or in the way. Our actual room was wonderful. We got the 2 double and a murphy bed. The beds were comfortable but smaller than what I am used to. The room was clean even under the bed where I had to fetch my shoes because they got kicked under there. I wasnt afraid to get them because it was so clean. The kitchen had silverware and a full set of plates and bowls. It also had pots and pans. The only few things that bugged me was around 2 or 3 in the morning 2 boys came and knocked on our door. My sister looked out the door after it happened and saw they only onocked on our door. Also the locals come pool hopping and it kinda gets annoying when you try to go in the hot tub whwn there are about 6-10 teens in the hot tub hogging it and being very dis respectful. They need to monitor that more closely. Over all I would stay here again. I would just get a higher floor room

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank clhmdd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
West New York, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Service is fair .Cleanliness is ok .They maintain the pools well . Poor weather stripping on the doors. On a windy night it is hard to sleep due to the whistling sound coming through the door.They tried to fix it but not well .
The fitness room is a joke .About the size of a closet . The existing few pieces of equipment are poorly maintained . Only person around is the person that runs the adjacent general store and he is of no help . Left some expensive shoes behind . We called if they could be mailed(we would pay shipping costs) but not helpful at all . Told us to contact housekeeping ourselves which we did . Only answering machine . Asked to call us back. Never did .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cameron, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Ive stayed at Coral beach many times over the last few years, and this was by far the worst. I came to town a day before my husband and daughter with my 4 year old grandson. Friday afternoon, before the rest of my family arrived, I was in the process of changing clothes in the bathroom and heard a voice in my room that shouldnt have been there. I panicked and raced from the bathroom 1/2 dressed to find a man standing in the middle of the room directly in front of me. He wore no hotel uniform, had no name tag or badge on, yet was holding room supplies I had not requested and did not need. I have traveled alot and stayed in many rooms over the years and felt and knew instantly this was not a typical experience of housekeeping coming into a room. I admit I freaked, in that moment of pure terror I went into protect mode over my grandson, I started sort of screaming and telling the man he had no business in my room, I pushed my grandson back behind me towards the living room area and went on the side of aggressive towards this man. He looked almost as scared as me, tossed the supplies he held onto the kitchen counter, and started backing away from me. I got him out of my room, called the front desk hysterical, and had the manager Darlene tell me to calm down. She said shed find out who it was and call me back. She called back to tell me no one from the hotel should have been in my room and she was sending maintanence up to read the key card and see who had entered. They did this and informed me that no one had enetered my room but me. IMPOSSIBLE !!!! After much going back and forth, nothing has been resolved as far as Im concerned. I felt and still feel no one took this experience as seriously as I did. No one from the hotel came to my room to calm or reassure me. I was told I must have left the door open which Im sure I didnt but now doubt myself and worry that I was careless and risked my grandsons safety. I was also assured that it was NOT a hotel employee ( therefore no responsiblity of the hotels ) and that no one on staff fit the description of the individual I described. I was ready to check out early and leave the hotel, but changed my mind after calming down since my husband was due to arrive within 3 hours, and frankly the thought of packing and moving and searching another hotel on a friday night , even off season , was not a pleasant one. I have NOT been alone in this room since then !! I have thought this over many times, and either the hotel management is lying to me and it was an employee that messed up, or a stranger got into my room and was there for malice and my grandson and I are VERY lucky that we were only petrified for a few moments and nothing worse happened. Either way I can assure you the hotel management did NOTHING to make me feel safe again, they did nothing to reassure me they would take more precautions, basically they did NOTHING except offer me a 1/2 price discount card to use in the bowling alley... really? That was even more insulting !!! Today, housekeeping failed to do our room, so I called the front desk and requested they send someone, they did.... and individual who strikingly resembled the individual who came in my room previously !!!!! I honestly am appalled at the management of this hotel now. All I wanted was closure so I didnt feel Id been careless or over reacted, all I wanted was for them to acknowledge that there was an issue with either announcing your presence in the rooms and wearing ID or that they had a predator of some sort checking doors for access. THEY ACKNOWLEDGED NEITHER! You decide, would you want this to happen to you, or your wife, or daughter. I will never stay here again and now Im hesitate to travel alone after having done so many many times in the pass. The person who came in the room did steal something, he stole my sense of security and the hotel management has added insult to injury!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank Linda Y
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We really enjoyed the hotel - no it wasn't the most modern or updated place - but it was clean and in a good part of town. We really enjoyed the bowling alley, in suite kitchen, outdoor splash pad (even in March!), & Beach. Service was very nice. We did wish that there was a restaurant on site for dinner aside from the bowling alley. Also when we asked for an extra pillow each (4) we were asked to come to the lobby to get them and then were told we could only have 2. We got the other two the next night but it would have been nice to have them when we asked for them - strange that they were so stingy with their pillows?!? The attractions are a bit away but if you have a car they are easy to get to and all the paces we went to had free parking. We got an excellent deal, so for the price we paid this was an excellent hotel. The bedding and towels could use a serious update too (towels were a little like sand paper from all the bleaching) but everything was clean in our suite.

1 Thank KozlovFamily
Carleton Place, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Kids and I (kids are 16, 14 and 12) stayed at Coral Beach during March Break and we had a great time. Yes as some of the reviews state ... the place is older and more outdated but the rooms are clean and neat and spacious (if you want 5 star ... drive down the beach and stay somewhere else for triple the price) We stayed in an oceanfront family suite which had 2 double beds, 1 double murphy bed and a full sized pull out couch. Had two balconies (one was off the bedroom) and two tv's. Toilet/Tub/Shower area was super tiny but it did what it needed to do so no real issue with that - and since the sink/mirror was seperate someone was able to shower while someone could brush teeth. Full kitchen was good to have when feeding 3 teenage boys. Every time we left the room there was someone cleaning something (walls/doors/floors/elevator etc...). All the hotel grounds were kept extremely clean. The kids enjoyed the bowling alley ($15/hr for 1 lane and up to 5 people a lane + $2.50/pair shoes) and spent a vast amount of time in the pools and hot tubs. Washing machine/dryer worked really well and came in very handy. Front desk staff fantastic and very friendly and they also had onsite security in the evenings in the lobby. Didn't shop in the store but did browse around (it was cheaper to walk a few blocks and by the same trinkets at a tourist shop). The hotel has WiFi but it isnt the most reliable.

Starbucks on site was nice although it was only open from 7-11 am (had a coffee maker in the room so it was cheaper to make coffee than purchase anyways). We didn't actually eat in the Atlantis buffet so can't comment but did take advantage of the outdoor grill and it was good (hamburgers/cheeseburgers/hotdogs/chips) and allowed the kids to eat by the pool. The bartenders were really nice and would make the kids 'virgin' drinks without hesitation so that was a treat for them.

Long story short, we really enjoyed Coral Beach and have recommended it to others. Just don't expect a 5 star resort complete with plush towels and fancy-dancy toiletries cause your not going to get it BUT if you want a great place to stay that is inexpensive, clean, in a great location then this is it.

Room Tip: Family suite with the double balconies - oceanfront the best as they are far from elevators and have...
1 Thank Angela K
Lugoff, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed from March 10th- March 12th. Our room was very outdated, but comfortable. We stayed in an oceanfront suite. It had a separate bedroom with two double beds. There was also a murphy bed in the living room. We really enjoyed it. It was as comfortable as the other beds. This hotel does not have nice linens, however the pillows are nice quality. Here is my cons for this hotel: outdated decor, no fire extinguisher in the kitchen area of the room, No top lock on door (just the basic deadbolt which was really unnerving when traveling with a toddler) very cheap balcony furniture (we had a broken chair on our balcony when we arrived) Bed linens could have been nicer, chipped paint in room, no fire sprinklers in our room. Lady in the lobby was very annoying to us. She wanted us to go to a time share workshop. The outside of the hotel could use some updating!

Pros- overall decent hotel, nice store on 6th floor, Starbucks inside Lobby (only open until 11am) beautiful, unobstructed view of the ocean, the kitchen was furnished with pretty much everything that you would need to prepare a meal, full sized appliances and fridge, very spacious room, separate dressing area with sink (that's separate from shower and toilet), Customer service associates were very helpful, Room was very reasonably priced this time of year, Hotel security made their presence known so we felt safe, prompt and courteous service when we call front desk, the receptionist printed detailed driving directions to a nearby restaraunt, plenty of extra linens and bath towels (which were good size).

So, In closing I would definitely recommend this hotel. We really enjoyed our stay. I gave it three stars because it wasn't spectacular and didn't knock my socks off, but It was nice and cozy. It was very clean and the pools were all in working order. I wish we could have taken advantage of the bowling alley, but we didn't have time. I would recommend this hotel. The Location was perfect and the beach was not empty by any means, but It wasn't at all crowded either!

Room Tip: The seventh floor was amazing!
3 Thank kmcoombs
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you're picky about having the Grand Lobby or updated rooms. This is not the place for you.
We stayed from Mar 8-11. But we have overlooked all the outdated things for the price and great location. It was still chilly outside but they have enough indoor pools to offer. I was glad to know there's Starbucks inside the hotel (with limited hours though). Perfect for grabbing coffee before you head outside early in the morning for a walk.

However, teens were running outside until past midnight and you can hear them inside your room.

While we were there, we checked Landmark hotel and tried to find out if we did miss anything from our chosen hotel...Not really much. They have so-called 10 indoor pools but they're all tiny. including the lazy river. I still vote for indoor pools of Coral beach specially the big jacuzzi.

Our parents have beach house at Oceanlakes but you have to drive a golf cart to go to the ocean. We wanted to know how it feels to be right there facing the ocean. Coral beach is perfect for that. We can feed the seagulls from our lobby at the 8th floor. We just have to check out if there are any people on the ground making sure they won't drop you know what...

Their staff are all helpful..No complaints

• 2 of 5 bubbles