“This is the best family resort ever!”
Review of Ocean Reef Resort

Ocean Reef Resort
Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We took our 4 nieces and 1 nephew on a weeks vacation at Ocean Reef Resort. The 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo was very comfortable and the price was great considering all that you got. The kitchen was very well equipped and beautiful. Living/ dining room was great. THERE WERE 4 TV'S!!! No arguing over who is going to watch what. Because the weather was so good, low to mid 80's, 8 of the 9 water features were open. The kids tried real hard, but couldn't possibly get bored. It was a great value, too. We just filled up the fridge and cut the kids loose on the beach, pools and game room. No need to leave the condo. Our 2 beach front terraces were a great place for the grown ups to hang. Everyone was happy. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,249)

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed at Ocean Reef Resort for the first time. This is my 17th consecutive year on a golf package and was very pleased with Ocean Reef. The Golf Desk was wonderful--worked through a customized golf package and it was very reasonably priced. Ocean Reef has a variety of room configurations...1-4 bedroom condos, single rooms, parlors, and suites and penthouses. There's something for everyone. We stayed in a 1 bedroom executive suite, which had 2 bathrooms and an ocean front bedroom. The rooms were a little outdated (thus a Very Good vs. Excellent), but they were comfortable and clean. The common areas in the hotel had been updated nicely, and ALL the staff were welcoming and friendly. The on-site breakfast was wonderful, and with a cook for special requests. Quiet and centrally located, this is a great option for a Myrtle Beach get-away.

Room Tip: Look at the Ocean Reef website and you can see the room floor plans and pictures. Helpful if you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We are Global Connections members and we stayed in room 823 with a 2br/2bath unit. The unit was located on the north side of the building and was the furthest away from the beach. We had two balconies with an ocean view of the sunrise each morning. The balconies are really small on this side of the building, two chairs and a small table. You really have to squeeze by anyone who may also be on the balcony. It appeared the balconies on the south side were larger and overlooked the pool. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. The master bedroom box spring was ripped but everything else was in working order. The unit was very clean and well maintained. The living room couch was not my favorite, but I mostly sat in a chair overlooking the ocean or on the balcony.

The resort was very nice and clean, we did not use the cafe but did purchase drinks from the bar a few times. Special drinks are not cheap and they are small. We spent $8 for a rum drink and it was in a small solo cup with plenty of ice and little rum. The pools and hot tubs were clean, the pool was heated and the hot tubs were great. I did not like the lounge chairs, they were strange in how the back worked with the weight of the your body constantly making the back move.

The staff at the front desk and in the gift shop were very nice and helpful. The bar staff weren't the friendliest but they got the job done. Parking is plentiful across the street with several choices of lots and a parking garage all free. There is a Starbucks in the resort next door and a River City Cafe bar/restaurant a few blocks away but everything else you need to drive to which wasn't very far.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, our family had a great time with the easy access to the beach and all the amenities of the resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Very nice room, great indoor kiddie pool and lazy river, and very affordable. The only complaint was the balcony....literally so small my husband and I couldn't both stand on it at the same time. Great view even though it's really small. The furniture is less than comfy, but that's to be expected from hotels with lots of traffic.

Room Tip: select oceanfront instead of oceanview for a larger balcony
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I am very picky about where I stay and have expectations that are on par with what I pay, meaning a cheap hotel serves one purpose vs the higher price ones, which I have more expectations for.

This resort offered great value compared to what they offered. We stayed on in the tail end of March 2012, Friday-Monday and spent less than $200 on the room. We had two queen size beds, small kitchen (coffee pot, stove/range, microwave, full fridge with freezer and cabinets), bathroom, balcony facing the ocean, tv with DVD player (which didnt work) and a small table for my laptop.

The resort had indoor/outdoor pool area, a "lazy" river for the kids, game room, large checker/chess set indoors, shuffleboard and had plenty of elevators where you did not have to wait long.

The hotel had a "discount" ticket booth inside and a gift shop that had "bankers hours". There was parking across the street and even had a parking deck for overflow that was still not a bad distance away.

All in all, I would stay there again, the staff was nice, but there are some things you need to know when making your reservation.
1. They will charge your card when you arrive not when you check out
2. They did not tell me when I booked, that they will put a $100 "hold" on a card for incidentals. This really made me angry as they should have told me when I booked, I have yet to have someone not tell me this prior to arriving.
3. Make sure to call the maintence dept asap to keep them from assuming you broke something. In my room, the DVD player did not work, the safe was busted, the sliding glass door to the patio was warped. So I made sure that they knew that those issues were already there prior to me checking in so I would keep my $100 "security" deposit.
4. It is not near anything, you will need to drive to get food, shopping etc. It is only a minute away from everything, but still it was a pain when the kids wanted some late night snacks the first day we arrived and we went shopping as we could not simply walk to anything.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Will D
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The staff members at your facility are just a great group of people. Everyone is polite without fawning over you and making you uncomfortable. In particular, the folks running food and tables at Cafe du Port are absolutely wonderful. I wish I could remember specific names...I'll work on that for the next time we visit. *smile*

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jerry J
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stay here about 4 times a year. We love this resort. It's probably one of the cleanest resorts in town. The management is awesome and the staff is very friendly. The pool areas are amazing for children and families. So many hot tubs, lazy river and awesome kiddi pool. A must stay!

• Stayed: January 2012